loose vs lose

Options
124»

Replies

• LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As an English major not wanting to be that friend that only comments on grammar mistakes — THANK YOU
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    LaceyRuth wrote: »
    As an English major not wanting to be that friend that only comments on grammar mistakes — THANK YOU

I make my living as a writer. Don't let my lack of apostrophes and capitalization bug you too much. When it matters, I can sound edumacated :P
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm an editor, and I'm not bothered, in general, by bad grammar.

Everyone has his/her own strengths - and weaknesses. I can run circles around most people I know when it comes to grammar, but challenge me to a math-off and you would honestly wonder how I ever got through school.

The MOST ironic thing I see is when people attempt to correct grammar...while using bad grammar. It can be something big or small. For example, Santa was referenced above, but not capitalized. ;)

EVERYONE screws up grammatically once in a while on the internet. Sometimes it's consistent; yes, "loose" for lose comes up quite a bit. Sometimes it just...happens. You transpose a couple letters (very common), you have a brain fart, you get autocorrected incorrectly (to/too or what-have-you). Is it such a big deal?

So I guess I'd say my biggest pet peeve on this subject is when people use bad grammar to correct someone else's grammar. ;) But even then...whatever. People need to feel "smarter" or superior, and this is a very follow-the-leader way to do it. Whatever gets you through the day. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Good luck with this. I imagine it's like holding back a tsunami with your hands. My pet peeve; tow the line instead of toe the line. I visualise as I read and these slip-ups give me weird images.

My eyes! My eyes!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Good luck with this. I imagine it's like holding back a tsunami with your hands. My pet peeve; tow the line instead of toe the line. I visualise as I read and these slip-ups give me weird images.

My eyes! My eyes!

MAYBE PEOPLE JUST WANT TO GO FISHING. Sheesh, these forums are so judgmental... :wink:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LaceyRuth wrote: »

Shouldn't there be a period here? ;)

That's exactly what I was talking about... ;)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

My eyes! My eyes!

ack! I haven't seen that one! thank goodness! LOL!

this one drives me nuts just cause ( we all) see it SOOOO many times EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

and, i had a message from someone that they DID in fact LEARN the difference from my post so... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

My eyes! My eyes!

I always visualize these things too. "Loose the fat" makes me think of Clash of the Titans. It makes me think of a giant fat monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOo4e5fPVQ4
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    AZytjY2.png
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen this thread pop up in a while.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Never seen this topic before..... really.
  • GatesOfDelirium
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Not a slam at anyone here, but you know what I don't like? When people type out a sentence and write haha or lol.
    Yea I hate that too...LOL
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options

they're their
    to too two
    loose lose
    whose who's
    you're your
    oh the list goes on and on..............

elementary english
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Good luck with that OP. I'll raise a mug in your honour. (And yes, 'honour' with a u is correct - Canadian!)

Snap! English :)

Bad grammar does wind me up. I'm a teacher, and not only that, but I teach French. I can use grammar correctly in French and it's not my native language, so why can't native English speakers tell the difference between your and you're, to, two and too and so on?
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My gym t-shirt

Which I am wearing as I write

5135yT1xa-L.jpg

There's no hope for me ..but at least my PT is learning stuff

Ironic bahahahahaa

I need to get a shirt like that one!! :)
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I love this haha! I get people that I work with who write "advise" when they mean "advice" ....drives me crazy!
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    hi3rw9wz2hyk.jpg

story of my life........... LOLOL

im a good grammar nazi though. i dont call out my friends (ummm usually LOLOL) and i won't do it on someones post. But i will make my own post about it. maybe someone will learn something.

hope springs eternal. LOLOL

You should probably use capital letters and apostrophes more consistently in a post that corrects people's grammar. LOLOL
    *I'm.
    *Don't.
    *Someone's... thought that should be 'somebody's'
    *'I' as in 'I', 'I'm' etc. should be a capital and so should the start of a new sentence.

AGREED!!! Can't correct just one thing that bothers you (lose/loose) & call people on it yet you "a grammar nazi" can't even use apostrophes. Sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    So I guess I'd say my biggest pet peeve on this subject is when people use bad grammar to correct someone else's grammar. ;) But even then...whatever. People need to feel "smarter" or superior, and this is a very follow-the-leader way to do it. Whatever gets you through the day. ;)

The nastiest (and out of the blue) slam I've gotten here about my supposed inability to spell correctly came from some guy who kept using "loose" for "lose" (and if I recall was going on about how he only ate 1500 and seemed to be calling me fat, although he was too incoherent for me to be certain of that). I DO make spelling errors all the time and I happen to think that the style of internet posting lends itself to more creative punctuation than, say, something I might write for work, but I really wanted him to identify just what I had supposedly spelled incorrectly, as I was pretty sure he meant my proper spelling of "lose."

I do generally believe that anyone who comments on other people's spelling will end up making his or her own mistake or 3 in the post--cosmic justice and all that--but I find "loose" for "lose" a particularly irritating error. Not sure why, but it just is. Especially on a forum where it's such a significant topic (same with the sports forum I mentioned before).
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    facepalm-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2694.gif

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
    Also
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.