Article: "How Low Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going"

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

How weird! I searched the title in the search bar before posting this and nothing came up. Oh well, maybe I searched than took my time about reading and posting the article or something because it does appear in the search now.
    It's okay- not an issue- it's getting people talking about it and thinking about it- I kind of agree with it. I find gyms that are based solely off making people feel comfortable aren't about fitness. It just doesn't work that way.
    Ha! - Funny - I've been wanting to say that all day, but figured it would come across as creepy!

cheers!
    nah- it's okay- I've been "Serious *kitten*" for a long time- it was time for a change!!!!

But thank you :) I appreciate it.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. I used Planet Fitness for about a year at the 10/ month rate, then upgraded to 20 so I could bring friends whenever. It was nice that it was cheap, but I need a gym with lots of weights options as well as child care. The only reason I went less often to Planet Fitness ultimately was the lack of child care because I had to ask family or friends to babysit my kiddo.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    fenshae wrote: »

I kind of love the idea of a gym that is actually somewhat hostile to the "usual" fitness crowd. It's weirdly subversive. And $10/month is in my budget where the $50+ for other nearby gyms is not.

:huh:
  • msufan79pat
    msufan79pat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness almost exactly one year ago. As a middle aged, overweight , out of shape woman I wanted a place to fit in. I go 3 to 4 times a week and have built an exercise routine that led me to workout the same amount when out of town for vacation. Along with MFP I have dropped 50 lbs. and 4 pant sizes and it has changed my life. I have no respect for those that put down PF just because it doesn't fit their idea of what a gym should be because it's exactly what I needed a gym to be!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I kind of love the idea of a gym that is actually somewhat hostile to the "usual" fitness crowd. It's weirdly subversive. And $10/month is in my budget where the $50+ for other nearby gyms is not.

jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif?w=245&h=206
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness almost exactly one year ago. As a middle aged, overweight , out of shape woman I wanted a place to fit in. I go 3 to 4 times a week and have built an exercise routine that led me to workout the same amount when out of town for vacation. Along with MFP I have dropped 50 lbs. and 4 pant sizes and it has changed my life. I have no respect for those that put down PF just because it doesn't fit their idea of what a gym should be because it's exactly what I needed a gym to be!

endorsing a gym that hates on fit people?

cool. Whatever rocks your socks.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Well the only way to be comfortable in the gym is to use it so much it feels like home...it begins to feel natural to be there...regardless of our weight, clothes etc. There is absolutely no way around this fact
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IN to make fun of planet fitness.

From the article.

“Well, it’s only $10. I’m not losing that much. I think I’ll have a pizza and watch The Blacklist tonight, instead.”

Maybe that how so people feel but not this guy. I used to go to Planet fitness years ago before the hate started to happen. Glad I got out before it.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of Planet Fitness and I definitely value my membership. I've been a member for almost a year and there were just a few months where I stopped going consistently. However I do have the black membership and I don't take advantage of the perks and I have procrastinated downgrading because it's only $20 a month anyway.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    My issue with Planet Fitness is how hypocritical it is. "Welcome to the judgement free zone".....except our staff....our staff get to be judgmental.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    demarii06 wrote: »
    I myself am a member of planet fitness and I laugh at the free pizza, bagels and candy, but if you're truly there to exercise I don't care what they have. I never had any of it. My point in going is to workout and to keep as much money as I can because I'm a broke law student. I will say that I have been made fun of because I was working out "too" hard by two rather obese women (I say this as former rather obese woman) and when I asked if there was a scale available I was looked at like I was crazy and told that's what no judgment means. Its funny there's no judgment for "average" people but plenty for athletes. But as stated before who cares, I'm there to get fit.

The free pizza and tootsie rolls are definitely a perk for me lol. IDK why people rag on them so much about it. It's ONCE a month. People cheat more on their diet more than that a month I'm sure. It's never hindered me from achieving my goals. Does it send a bad a message? Possibly. Will that one pizza night a month affect your weight loss? No.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

I definitely understand that criticism. But I have not witnessed it myself- can you elaborate?Then again there are very few fit women (a lot of the men are in pretty good shape) that attend the one I go to. I'm not even bragging but I'm probably one of the most in shape women there and that's not saying much lol.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    My issue with Planet Fitness is how hypocritical it is. "Welcome to the judgement free zone".....except our staff....our staff get to be judgmental.

And all of our members who joined to avoid said judgement zones? Feel free to create a hostile environment to other members who have more gym experience than you do. Because, fit people suck*

*Members who successfully meet their fitness goals should be prepared to GTFO.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I definitely understand that criticism. But I have not witnessed it myself- can you elaborate?Then again there are very few fit women (a lot of the men are in pretty good shape) that attend the one I go to. I'm not even bragging but I'm probably one of the most in shape women there and that's not saying much lol.

The entire premise of the gym is built on demeaning and mocking serious athletes- or people who love their training.

It's literally a gym that hates on fit people.

Could you imagine the amount of epic back lash a gym would get if their ENTIRE marketing scheme was making fun of fat people?
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    What EXACTLY should a gym be? Is there an "Ideal" gym? I've been a member to probably every gym out there (Gold's, 24 Hour, LA Fitness, etc etc etc) and in my opinion, the only gym that I really truly liked, because of the equipment and especially the employees that motivate you without asking for money is Dynamic Fitness. When I was a member there every single employee and trainer knew my name and greeted me like I was family. I was comfortable and happy to be there, I WANTED to be there, therefore I worked harder. If I wasn't doing something right, someone would step in and show me the proper way. I even had trainers show me a few things that paid customers received. I thought that was awesome. They helped me lose 25 lbs. I felt they actually CARED about me. It's an awesome place. Unfortunately I moved away and there is no Dynamic Fitness in my area. So sad. Where I live now, I haven't found that "family" feel to any of the gyms, therefore I work out at the Apartment's gym, by myself, no motivation, no camaraderie, nothing AND I don't push myself as hard like I did at Dynamic Fitness.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'd like to point out- I don't care if people chose to go there- I think it makes a great starting gym- a gym for someone who just wants to go in and bang out a quickie- a gym for people on a SERIOUS budget (being said Retro is only 19.99 and has squat racks/powercages etc)- and or need a second gym for after hours workouts- or cardio. Perfect for that.

My beef is SPECIFICALLY with the gym and their marketing strategy.
  • Terpnista84
    Options

The entire premise of the gym is built on demeaning and mocking serious athletes- or people who love their training.

It's literally a gym that hates on fit people.

Could you imagine the amount of epic back lash a gym would get if their ENTIRE marketing scheme was making fun of fat people?

You mean the commercials (that they play all the time in the gym) mocking the in shape people? You're right- it's offensive. It's funny because I see the commercials with the half naked chicks in the locker room and think "OMG I can't wait to look like that" haha.

I love PF because there are never lines for cardio machines, the price is more than reasonable and it's within walking distance from my home. When I was heavier I did feel out of place at bigger gyms where I felt like I was the heaviest one there- but that was my own insecurities. But I understand why someone like yourself who is in great shape and takes their workouts seriously would be offended by their culture.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif?w=245&h=206

I go a gym that has hostile customer service and I pay 77.00 monthly. I ignore them the facility is incredible...so I ignore them.

• philasaurus_rex
    philasaurus_rex Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Planet Fitness isn't a "gym." it's a yuppie hangout where gainz are not had.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not a fan of a gym dictating to me what I can and cannot wear when I work out. I typically wear a tank top with thin shoulder straps and sometimes if I'm forced to use a treadmill I run in a sports bra and compression shorts. With that said, it is their gym, they can have all the rules they like and I can choose not to frequent their establishment :D I have a Snap Fitness membership and I used it regularly. I do buy in to the idea that if it is low cost you don't feel like you have as much to lose if you don't go. I pay $35 a month so for me it is very important I utilize that membership but I love to work out so it works! The business plan does make sense because if you have 6000 members but your facility only holds 300 you obviously don't want everyone to show up. You can make money without putting extra effort in to expanding your services, adding classes or trying to find a bigger space.