How much do you sleep?

Options
I generally go to bed at 10.30-11, and wake up at 6.30-7, yet I'm always tired! Perhaps I need a food adjustment. How long do people sleep in a night when exercising 4-5 times a week?

Replies

• berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I try to sleep at least 8 hours, but with young kids, it often doesn't happen. 8 hours is an average, some of us need up to 10 hours to feel rested. There are health problems that can make you feel tired too, like anemia or low thyroid, so if it is bothering you it may be worth it to get a check up just in case.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same, go to bed about 11 and up at 7. I need 8 hours a night, at the weekend when I'm not working I sleep for around 10. I still feel tired come 9:30 and can quite easily fall asleep on the sofa. I do find it annoying, even more so when you boyfriends wakes you up by making you jump!! :smile:
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    5 a night. Trust me, if there was a way for me to get more, I would.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I usually get between 4-6 hours of sleep a night (usually getting up at least once). I'm a horrible sleeper and always have been.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My body hurts so bad after seven hours of laying in a bed that I have to get up regardless of what time I go to sleep. I'll go to bed at 11-Midnight on work nights, and wake up at 6:30am. On the weekends, I'll stay up late, but won't sleep for longer periods. I will take a couple of long (1.5 - 2hr) naps to catch up on my sleep on my days off though.

I'm only really tired when I go out on a work night, end up staying out until 2am, and then only get less than four hours... like yesterday.
  • sparkles212
    Options
    About 7-9 hours per night. I'm always shattered since I started eating healthily though!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I usually get to bed by 10:30 and I wake up around 4:30, so about six hours. But I've read that women usually need more sleep than men.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My body does best with 9 or 10 hours of sleep a night.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I try to get around 8 hours per night but rarely get to sleep straight through the night as I have a 2 y.o. and 4 y.o....the 2 y.o. just moved to a toddler bed so getting up a few times in the middle of the night and coming to our room and getting my wife and I up is all the rage...
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My body works best on 7-8 hours of quality sleep. I can get away with less for one day, but tack on a few days of 5-6 hours and I turn into a different person.

If you don't feel rested after 8hrs, you may want to check your hydration and calorie intake (eating enough). I've noticed that if those are off, it doesn't matter how many hours I sleep I always feel tired. It could also be linked to over training (been there too). Or your quality of sleep may be bad. You can always try to get a sleep test done. Things to consider.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I feel the best when I get about 7.5-8 hours. I go to bed around 10:00 and get up about 6:00. Sometimes if I'm feeling really run down (whether from poor sleep quality or extra exercise) I'll go to bed at 9:30.

Usually any longer than 8 hours leaves with a bad headache all day (which sucks because I want to sleep in on the weekend and can't).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually fall asleep around 11-11:30 and get up between 5:15 and 5:30.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    3-5 hours on weekends (as I have to be at work much earlier), 6-8 hours during the week
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Usually like 4-5 hours. Which makes my lifts crap. Going to bed at 11 or later also makes me tired unless I'm getting like 10 hrs of sleep. Ideally going to bed by 10pm (~10:30 last night) and getting 7-8hrs of sleep works best for me.
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I need 8-10 hours a night. Have you been tested for sleep apnea?
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try to be in bed by 10 but I don't fall asleep till almost 11. I am up at 5 during the week so that is about 6 hours. I am pretty tired and by the end of the week it is a struggle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    7-9 hours.
    I generally feel functional but fairly tired with 6 hours of sleep. After 8 hours of sleep, I feel pretty rested.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    9 hours seems to be my optimum number but I never get that during the work week, 6 - 7 hours max (chronic insomnia problem).
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I usually get about 6 hours a night. Most days I'm fine, but some days I feel like I can fall asleep at my desk at work.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm a 9-10 hour girl. I have a pretty serious medical condition that is exacerbated by lack of sleep. It's a huge part of my self care plan and my health has been 1000% better since I made rest a priority.