Always Hungry for 'normal' food - under 1200 cal

Options
Anyone else sticking to around the 1200 calorie limit? It's fine and dandy if I want to eat a lean breakfast sandwich for breakfast, salad for lunch, and a tiny portion of real food for dinner but it is NOT leaving me satisfied! :( I just want to eat real foods again but whenever I do (even if Im gently crossing the 1200 line), I gain back weight again.

Replies

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    oh no..
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Read this OP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

ETA: I lost 121 pounds eating around 1800 calories and now been maintaining for about 6 months!! :)

Make sure you weigh your solid foods and measure liquids only!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale and weigh your food and log accurately? Because I think it is very rare for anyone to gain weight eating near 1200 calories.

That said, look at your macros and see how much protein you are usually getting. Most people feel more satisfied if they are getting enough protein (and fat), not the majority carbs.
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is way too low for you (or anyone). Probably why you are always hungry.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    you have less than 20lbs to lose, you have probably set your goal far to aggressively and ended up with 1200 cals
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My limit is 1200 calories a day without exercise. So if I run 10 miles and do housework or go out and about for several hours my calorie limit gets bumped up to closer to 2800 for a day...that is a ton of normal food.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Eating more than you think+ you need to eat foods that will provide satiety+ eat at a level which you cna sustain. You might be too severe. If all else fails exercise for more food.
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal at 1200 calories, are you eating back your exercise calories? most normal people who are exercising need more than that base number. Depending on how long you've been at it, you could have stalled out your metabolism.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I lost 60+ pounds in 2011, while eating 1800-2200 calories a day. I've been on maintenance for a few years now. I never had to cut down to anything close to 1200 calories to lose! Also, my only exercise was walking (with an an occasional exercise video thrown in for variety.)
  • julianasutton
    julianasutton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6in. I had lost 7 pounds in 14 days. Maybe that's too much?
  • julianasutton
    Options
    That's really helpful UpEarly. Walking is my primary one too. I've burned 400 calories today (hihgly unusual for me), but I've also eaten 1050 calories already and its only 3pm!
  • slittle80
    Options
    Are you new to the journey?
  • julianasutton
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm about day 9 or 10 on here, but about 15 days in trying to lose weight.
  • slittle80
    Options
    Okay, I wouldn't freak out. 7 pounds in 14 days is probably a lot of water weight. I would consider upping your calories and work within the range of something you can actually maintain after you get where you want to be. As you build muscle and lose the weight, your body will get more efficient at burning those calories and you will be able to eat more and still lose/maintain.
  • julianasutton
    Options
    If I jump to a goal of 1500 calories a day (with about 200 calories burned a day), will that make me put back on a few pounds?
  • julianasutton
    Options
    I feel like I could manage 1500 well and be satisfied.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    oh no..

This^

With 18 pounds to go set your weekly weight loss goal at 1 pound a week (no more). Within 10 pounds of goal a 1/2 pound a week loss is appropriate. The lowest MFP default is 1200. This is a more appropriate number for senior ladies, who are petite. Younger people should be able to eat more and still lose weight.

Do what is sustainable for you. If you want to continue with 1200, keep in mind this is a net number. That means that MFP doesn't assume anyone will exercise. So when you are hungry, move more and eat a portion of those calories also. A "portion" because MFP guesstimates can be pretty generous.

• jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could manage 1500 well and be satisfied.

yes, try 1500 for a few weeks and see if you're losing, if you are..great, if not, drop another 100 and try that for a few weeks.
  • julianasutton
    Options
    I raised my goals to 1300, to see if I can manage that. It's an allowance of 100 extra calories. I burned 450 and it says I have about 700 calories left. Can i eat them all or should I refrain?
  • julianasutton
    Options
    That was my other big question, should I stick to the 1300 no matter what I burned or should I use up my calorie allowance with the burned calories factored in?