Do you eat any foods as long as it's in your calorie limit

Options

Replies

• transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Calories in, calories out, and making it work for life. There's no way I'm giving up pizza, burgers, alcohol, ice cream, pie, etc for the rest of my life, so I learned how to make it work, which basically means knowing my BMR and TDEE and eating in between those numbers.

I agree with the above poster. I am not saying that I gobble on these foods regularly, but I do have them, just not all at the same time, same day, same meal.

For example, if I know I am going out with family later on that night for dinner, breakfast would be something simple as plain oats or a green smoothie and lunch a garden salad with vinaigrette dressing, dinner would be whatever I want, maybe not as much as want, but whatever I feel like eating.

The key is balance. So you want that chocolate fudge triple swirl ice-cream. you can have it. it just means that the rest of day may call for salads and water to balance for that one treat. I find that denial makes you give up from frustration. I lost over 40 pounds at one point eating fast food just about everyday, I just balanced it with smaller portioned fast food and cleaner eating for the other two meals. It worked.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but I do my best to make smart splurging choices. Like if I want some beer, I get the smallest size possible or I drink less of the normal size. I still splurge a little on some sweet stuff but I only do it if I have the calories to. Snacking is easier now that I found stuff like popchips and laughing cow cheese with triscuts. Sooo good!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit?

No. There are all kinds of foods that, even in reasonable quantities, make it difficult to hit macro/micro/calorie goals, so I avoid them.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit? I was wondering do you try and stay away from the white foods that we hear
    about like Rice..flour...sugar and breads. I have lost a nice amount of weight since Jan 5 but I have noticed the scale isn't moving as much as it was. I was just wondering if I should be cutting out certain foods.

OP, I'm in the camp of "I eat what I want and just fit it in my day". I eat pretty much all the same foods I ate before MFP, I just make different choices to balance everything out.

There is no need to restrict entire food groups unless you have a medical need to do so, and certainly no need to restrict a color of food, based on "things you are hearing about".

If your weight loss has slowed, perhaps look at things like logging accuracy, making sure you are weighing and measuring your food, etc. Most of the time when people tighten up their logging, the scale starts moving again, without any unnecessary food restrictions.

If you look at the top of the forums in each section you will find helpful stickies about how to log accurately, how to set your calorie targets, etc.

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yep. I don't think it would be sustainable for me to make certain foods forbidden.

That said, there are a lot of foods that I used to think I'd never be able to live without that I no longer eat on a regular basis because I don't think they are worth the calories. Most fast food items are huge ones. I just can't see throwing away 2/3-3/4 of the day's calories on one value meal. The food just is too low quality. Now if I am going to blow my budget, it had better be worth it. Instead of a sad looking Big Mac and fries, I'd rather grill a nice 1/3lb bison burger with Swiss cheese, lettuce, red onion, and bbq sauce with some oven baked steak fries.

Same thing for some desserts. I love apple pie with ice cream, but I only eat it on special occasions now instead of whenever. I could eat an entire Cadbury's dark chocolate bar for less calories than the apple pie w/ice cream.

My diet has made me a lot more picky about what I eat while at the same time, I don't feel deprived by making better choices at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit? I was wondering do you try and stay away from the white foods that we hear about like Rice..flour...sugar and breads.

I would say both of those statements are true for me. I do generally stay away from foods like flour, candy, white bread, sugary drinks, etc. These are not staples in my diet and I don't eat them with any regularity. But, I do eat them every now and then.
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I consider totally off limits. I've never been a dessert person and haven't had one in months and I watch my rice and pasta (my weaknesses), but generally speaking I work whatever I want to eat into the plan.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes
    Long answer: NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

I make sure to hit my protein macro for the day, but other than that, if it fits my macros, I EATS IT.
  • sushiandtea
    sushiandtea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, yes. No one can take away my chocolate and yoghurt.

Still, I try to eat as cleanly as possible. I switched carbs at lunch for salads, try to eat wholemeal instead of white, and stick to sugar-free drinks (and never add sugar to cereal, porridge or tea/coffee). I also don't eat pasta, potatoes or cheese, but that's mainly because I'm just not keen on them (but I love noodles and sweet potatoes, and fancy Christmas cheese :smile: )
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb because I had gestational diabetes and I want to thwart any risk of type II (it also runs in my family, even among 'normal' weight family members). While I do eat carbs, I eat mostly those that can be found in vegetables and berries plus any occurring in eggs and dairy. I rarely eat high carb fruits like oranges, bananas and pineapple (although I LOVE them) because I notice my insulin response when I do. I can do them occasionally when accompanied with a protein (I make an awesome orange salsa on grilled tuna steaks). Ultimately, though, I still log my calories here on MFP. Though I pay more attention to carbs, I still end up in a caloric deficit. Low carb also helps me stay satiated longer. And by limiting my carbs, I also limit my craving for them. Also, Sundays are free-for-all's. If I'm craving pasta or ice cream, Sunday is my day (within moderation). To summarize, yes, calories in calories out are ultimately what cause weight loss, but there are people with a variety of dietary needs or wants that are completely valid and between them and their doctor. As for nutrient density, I agree what some people here are saying, but ultimately, what a person chooses to put in their mouth is their choice. Not for me to worry about or judge.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do 80 / 20, yes, 80% of the time I stay away from a lot of foods, but 20% of the time i eat things that aren't as nutritionally sound. For weightloss it doesn't matter, health, yes.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yep. Sure do. It is working for me. If I was to cut out all the unhealthy aka tasty food I would give up before I'd even started!
    Most days I save enough calories for an evening chocolate snack, today it was a crème egg. Yum.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Caloric goals are always my first priority. Then comes sodium, protein, and carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but am struggling to find likeminded people. Most diaries I look at are attrotious! Not all calories have the same nutritional value. You can eat your allowance in *kitten* food and from what I see a lot of people do that.

I was thinking the same thing, but I probably would have just thought it, not wrote it. People have commented that she is judging. But, if she is looking for likeminded people, she has to "judge" in order to discriminate in her search. Judging is functional in surrounding ourselves with who we want.

We all judge. But I guess advertising that you're judging puts a bulls-eye on your back.

A blanket claim that most people here eat poorly (although she used stronger language) without specifying what is meant by that (again, I eat red meat usually, does that mean I eat poorly? I eat larger fish and potatoes and dairy, some would criticize that too) is a problem, because we can't discuss the merits of the judgment, IMO. Also, judging others while not being an open book yourself is awfully easy. I have certain standards I try to eat according to, but I also have an open diary so it's easy to see that I'm far from perfect (and I don't try for perfection either).

I don't happen to think that eating some sweets in the context of a balanced diet is "atrocious" (or whatever term she used), so it would be interesting to know if that's what she meant. I similarly don't think it's "atrocious" to eat white rice. I do think it's preferable if you care about nutrition to eat vegetables, so I'd be more sympathetic to the opinion (if not the style) if that's what she meant.

Anyway, I agree with the poster who said that she eats what she likes (according to her own standards which tend to make her feel better) and don't judge others on that basis.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've cut out a number of things.

* breaded/deep fried anything (switched to baked/grilled)
    * creams and sauces (switched to spices)
    * packaged foods that have 20+ ingredients on the label
    * most, but not all, sweets (switched to small pieces of 72% dark chocolate)
    * beverages with sugar (that includes fruit juices, pop and wine)

Basically, any one item that's crazy high in calories.

Once in a while, I might indulge in one of these but I'll avoid them as often as I can.

When I started eating this way, I stopped having an acid stomach. I haven't had an antacid tablet since early January. I used to pop those things like M&Ms.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I used to eat whatever I wanted to eat and didn't feel good. I've cut out things in my diet that are inflammatory and nutrient poor. Best thing I've ever done for myself. Fat is my dominant macro because natural fats are anti-inflammatory, essential nutrients needed in every organ system, and delicious.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I eat anything as long as I can measure it, unless I know I'm in danger of entering in a binging frenzy then I try to keep away from junk food. That's only due to my psychology.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've cut out a number of things.

* breaded/deep fried anything (switched to baked/grilled)
    * creams and sauces (switched to spices)
    * packaged foods that have 20+ ingredients on the label
    * most, but not all, sweets (switched to small pieces of 72% dark chocolate)
    * beverages with sugar (that includes fruit juices, pop and wine)

Basically, any one item that's crazy high in calories.

Once in a while, I might indulge in one of these but I'll avoid them as often as I can.

When I started eating this way, I stopped having an acid stomach. I haven't had an antacid tablet since early January. I used to pop those things like M&Ms.

This sounds sad. :cry:
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If I have extra calories to spare, I will have cottage cheese, plain yogurt or peanut butter.