Everything or nothing

Options
Hi all!

So I have a problem. I eat everything or nothing. Literally. My intake is either high (1700-2500) or low (400-800) there is no in-between. If it's high it's because of sweets/chips/other junk food. And if it's low it's cause I really just didn't eat much that day.

I'm very picky so it's hard to find the healthy foods I do like and eat those without just eating the same 2-4 things all the time. I'm a vegetarian too which limits my choices in protein and such.

But anyway, I don't know how to balance it. I'm fairly active between having 2 puppies, an older dog, a horse, and working a fast paced job where I'm on my feet all the time. But my nutrition is horrible and I just don't know how to balance everything. It's literally all or nothing with me. Any help is appreciated

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can suggest to you is developing a routine. Breakfast at this time, lunch at this time, snacks in between. Notice your triggers and stay away from them. Me, I was really bad about going home and plopping on the couch with a snack and that would land me way over for the day. So, instead I always busy myself with working out, house work, etc. so I'm not tempted to eat. My other problem is snacking too much at night after hubs goes to bed. I find If I fix myself some hot tea instead that curbs that problem. Its really all about finding something that works for you.... but I'd say routine is key.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What foods do you like?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Change. You know what the problem is, so fix it. Stop labelling yourself a "picky eater" and start trying new things. Stop labelling yourself "all or nothing" and moderate your intake.

Falling back on a label as if you have no control over your own life is not going to help. You've identified a problem, start working to correct it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I think the cold hard fact is only you can change it. You pick the food up, you put it in your mouth, it's you who decides what goes in or what doesn't.

Once I realized this, and that I was in control of my dietary intake not the other way round, it all clicked in to place.

Eat the foods you like using a common sense approach to creating a balanced dietary intake which creates a calorie deficit. Assuming you have no medical conditions there is no need to label foods as "junk" or eliminate anything from your dietary intake (again a common sense approach should prevail, no one is saying eat 1400 calories of peeps per day, just as no one is saying you should eat 1400 calories of cucumber a day).

The above is in no way meant to be condescending or snarky in anyway, it's just something I wish someone would have slapped me in the face with years ago.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Change. You know what the problem is, so fix it. Stop labelling yourself a "picky eater" and start trying new things. Stop labelling yourself "all or nothing" and moderate your intake.

Falling back on a label as if you have no control over your own life is not going to help. You've identified a problem, start working to correct it.

^^ Winner!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are unknowingly balancing your calories out. Problem is, unless you are doing it methodically you are probably going over your limit in the end and running yourself into the ground? Just a guess.

For me, eating the same amount of calories a day (more when I exercise) and eating around the same scheduled times helps keep me happy and operating efficiently. I've developed a routine that works for me. I did that by not allowing excuses, taking responsibility, a little trial and error - and BAM! With consistency and hard work I developed a way to create a healthy and realistic calorie deficit.

There are people with busier, crazier lives than yours that have figured it out. You can do it too! =]
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What are your goals? What foods do you like?

I like pretty much all carbs. I wanna lose 15-20 lbs, maybe more.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options

I have tried to correct it by myself and need advice on how to do it. What I am doing is obviously not working
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I think the cold hard fact is only you can change it. You pick the food up, you put it in your mouth, it's you who decides what goes in or what doesn't.

Once I realized this, and that I was in control of my dietary intake not the other way round, it all clicked in to place.

Eat the foods you like using a common sense approach to creating a balanced dietary intake which creates a calorie deficit. Assuming you have no medical conditions there is no need to label foods as "junk" or eliminate anything from your dietary intake (again a common sense approach should prevail, no one is saying eat 1400 calories of peeps per day, just as no one is saying you should eat 1400 calories of cucumber a day).

The above is in no way meant to be condescending or snarky in anyway, it's just something I wish someone would have slapped me in the face with years ago.

It's been so long that I was balanced I honestly don't think I know what it looks like...Can you give me an example of a balanced meal/day/snack? That would be so, so helpful :)
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are unknowingly balancing your calories out. Problem is, unless you are doing it methodically you are probably going over your limit in the end and running yourself into the ground? Just a guess.

For me, eating the same amount of calories a day (more when I exercise) and eating around the same scheduled times helps keep me happy and operating efficiently. I've developed a routine that works for me. I did that by not allowing excuses, taking responsibility, a little trial and error - and BAM! With consistency and hard work I developed a way to create a healthy and realistic calorie deficit.

There are people with busier, crazier lives than yours that have figured it out. You can do it too! =]

Yea, pretty much. What's a good amount for me to start with? 1200? 1000? I've stated before I wanna lose 15-20, maybe more. I honestly have no idea where to even start...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight eating only carbs, but it is difficult because they are so easy to eat and they break down very quickly. You could lose weight eating 200 calorie donuts, as long as you limit how many you eat. Six per day would be 1200 calories. But it doesn't sound like a good diet to me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a minimum amount every day, always eat that and then slightly cut back on the days where you eat in excess.

If you do some research into foods you can eat and how much, then you can preplan your food and simply have breakfast 1,2,3,4,5,6 or lunch 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. Once you get comfy then you cna swap it around. not eating enough is as big a problem over time as eating too much so you need balance.

In figuring out where you want to start then you need to provide your age, weight, height current weight and target weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you have to reconcile yourself to some short-term gain of weight while you fix your eating patterns. You are within the healthy BMI currently?
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Yea, pretty much. What's a good amount for me to start with? 1200? 1000? I've stated before I wanna lose 15-20, maybe more. I honestly have no idea where to even start...

Did you put your info into MyFitnessPal? It should have given you a calorie goal based on that. You shouldn't go below 1200.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Can you narrow down the "all carbs" you like? Are we talking bread, pasta, rice, etc.? Do you eat any fruits or vegetables? If so, which ones do you like? We can possibly suggest similar, but different items you haven't tried yet.

Have you seen a dietician or nutritionist for a meal plan? Sounds like it may be helpful for someone to line up a full plan for you based on what you do / can eat and then you JUST DO IT. Don't ask yourself if this is what you feel like eating. It's on your plan. That's what you're having. Only YOU can stop yourself from diverting off the plan. You can do it! DECIDE to.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about a new rule? You will eat a little protein with every meal you have.

Hummus, lentils, nuts, nut butters, beans, mushrooms...

vegan2.jpg
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You need to eat a minimum amount every day, always eat that and then slightly cut back on the days where you eat in excess.

If you do some research into foods you can eat and how much, then you can preplan your food and simply have breakfast 1,2,3,4,5,6 or lunch 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. Once you get comfy then you cna swap it around. not eating enough is as big a problem over time as eating too much so you need balance.

In figuring out where you want to start then you need to provide your age, weight, height current weight and target weight.

I'm 19, 5'4 and wanna lose 15-20 lbs at least
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you have to reconcile yourself to some short-term gain of weight while you fix your eating patterns. You are within the healthy BMI currently?

Yea, pretty much. But why would I gain weight while fixing this if my goal is to cut out the high days
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    Options
    ReignOerMe wrote: »

Did you put your info into MyFitnessPal? It should have given you a calorie goal based on that. You shouldn't go below 1200.

I did, but it didn't seem like they knew my body really well. The amount they suggested for my maintaining made me gain actually
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    How tall are you. Are you already a healthy weight?