Hiking for weight loss. Help, tips, tricks please.

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    comfortable shoes and a camelback or similar
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    If you get boots, be sure to break them in first. A long hike may mean blisters. I suggest bringing a snack along with water. We hike a lot, but last spring we went to a place we had never been before and a short hike ended up to be 3 hours. The gnats and mosquitos were horrible as well, may not be a problem in Utah though, but if so insect repellant. Have fun.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    All good suggestions. For footwear, just use what you find comfortable. Make sure to take a map and compass and understand how to use them. Don't rely on electronics because they can break and run out of battery. If you go alone, be sure to tell someone where u are going and when u will be back. Most of all, have a great time !
    Yes, to all this.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    I hike in Colorado, so it's not completely dissimilar. You can go pretty far with a water bottle, a good pair of boots, and a handful of nuts. I'm often out on shorter hikes, like it seems you'll be starting with. 2-5 miles is pretty good for me most days. I prefer sturdy hiking boots because I have an tendency to roll my ankles in rocky or gravelly terrain, so I really need to wear supportive footwear. I usually wear a small backpack. I have friends that wear small fannypacks. This is great to carry your water and any layers you may take off as you warm up or put on as you cool down depending on the day/weather and a small snack in case you are fading and need a boost. I sometimes hike when it's still a bit snowy and I don't have spikes. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO BAIL IF IT'S NOT SAFE. If the weather takes a bad turn or it's icier than you expected...bail and do something else instead.

I usually carry my phone, but often don't have reception. If you are hiking by yourself, it can be a good idea to tell someone where you'll be hiking and when to hear back from you by.

Keep it simple and start small. No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
  • 1waj123
    1waj123 Posts: 15 Member
    I live in New Hampshire and there's a lot of good hiking. I recommend looking for books on hikes near you. They usually rate the trails easy to expert. They also give you lots of information on what to expect on the trails, estimates on how long it takes to complete it, etc. We especially used them when our kids were young and advanced through the different levels. Now we do the same thing with our dogs.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Break yourself in slowly if you're new to it. Find a good trail that's at least a few miles. Go as far as you can and see how you feel. Remember that, unless it's a loop and you can do the whole thing, you have to go back and don't want to be too exhausted. Take a dog if you can. It makes it tons more fun. Remember that it burns way more calories than just walking and you will not maintain the same pace, especially in the beginning. As you get more and more used to it, it gets easier. I love hiking and crave that time in the middle of nature to feel restored. I rarely go on long hikes but the short trips are great and very fulfilling. Water, food, a fully charged phone with GPS, good shoes, and a dog are really all you need and you could get by with much less if you needed to.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    You want a replacement battery for your phone or one of those portable charging stations, fully charged. They're cheap.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2015
    Carry the 10 essentials (use Google), especially water where you will be at. I suggest getting a backpack with a sleeve for a hydration reservoir, and make sure it is full of water before you go out. Good shoes as some have said.

Here's something very important: Do not wear cotton! Dress in layers so you can easily take off or add on layers, but no cotton. It will hold in your sweat and make you uncomfortable at best and could lead to hypothermia at worst. Merino wool socks, synthetic / nylon shirts. Get pants with zippers at the knees so you can easily go from shorts to pants without much effort. And good boots/shoes as others have mentioned.

If you are really interested, I recommend joining the Sierra Club in your area. There are a lot of knowledgeable members you can learn from and they might even arrange group hikes so you can go out with a group, enjoy each other's company, and learn some of the important things.

Edited to add: My profile pic is a selfie I took at Zion National Park in May 2014.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    You can throw on a pair of sneakers, grab some water and go hike. That's probably how most of us started. But if you do this I would stick to populated areas like State Parks or trails that get lots of traffic.

I live in northern New Jersey and we mostly day hike. But we do like to hike off season and prefer less popular trails. (The fewer people I see the better, that's why I like to escape into the woods in the first place.) I wear a pair of Merrells and they are fantastic. Food is evaluated based on the length & terrain of our hike (which is mainly hilly & scrambley) but we always bring plenty of water. Clothing is also determined by the weather but layers are encouraged.

And my pack ALWAYS includes the following:

Not pictured:
    -Pocket knife
    -Whistle
    -Phone/GPS
    -Dry socks
    Pictured:
    -Bugspray
    -Various First Aid items
    -Lighters
    -Headlamps
    -Ponchos

hv1tjwa9ex4o.jpg
  • dbmata
    I think the 10/13 essentials are always a must, but OP is saying she just wants to go for an hour at a kick. Aside from water, good boots, a map and compass... an hour isn't enough to really get off a populated trail.

This advice though is a great must have advice for folks who intend to get off the newfish trails.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Another Colorado hiker here. I typically hike 3-10 miles at a time and hiking is my absolute favorite form of exercise. I love it! As for gear, these are my recommendations:

Sturdy shoes with some ankle support to avoid turning your ankle in rocky/gravelly terrain. (Skechers aren't what you will want) Your shoes are, in my opinion, probably your most important piece of gear for hiking. Make sure they are comfortable and sturdy.

Lightweight, breathable clothing. Avoid jeans - they are uncomfortable when hiking and hot in the warm weather and cold in the cold weather. Get something that will wick away sweat, such as cotton or lycra. Bring layers, including a light, water resistant jacket, that you can add or subtract depending on the conditions. Conditions can change quickly, so layers are your best bet.
    -
    Water bottle or camelback. Always bring more water than you think you will need!

A trail map of the area you will be

Snacks. Like the water, bring more than you think you will need. Granola bars, nuts and fruit are all good, easily portable ideas.

A fully charged cell phone, although reception is often a problem out on hiking trails

Leave your intended route map with a friend so if you don't get back in a reasonable time, people know where to start looking.

Tissues and/or wet wipes and some band aids. I can't count the number of times these have come in handy. Even on a very short 3-mile hike!

Sunscreen and chapstick. Don't forget to use these!!! You can burn very quickly if not prepared and that is miserable.

Check the weather BEFORE you leave. Weather can change very quickly on the trail. It helps if you have some idea of what you can expect.

A small back pack or fanny pack to carry your water, snacks, clothing layers, tissues, band aids, sunscreen and chapstick.

A hat if that's your thing (I personally hate them and don't wear them).

I have a small camelback/daypack that I just leave packed for day hikes at all times (except for water and perishables). When I use something out of my pack, I just replace it when I get home so it's ready for the next time that I go out.

ETA: Hiking is slower than walking. The same distance will take you much longer hiking than it would walking, so keep that in mind when planning a route. It's also more difficult than walking. Someone that can easily walk 5 miles, might have a much more difficult time hiking that same distance. The terrain and conditions can vary greatly and make it much more challenging.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    As it sounds like your are truly starting out, also look into hiking clubs (like meetup or meetin) or through local sports stores (REI in our area does lot's of hiking trips). Sometimes there are fees, sometimes not, but bonus is that you will have experienced hikers, with gear, to help you along and give advice. Easier than going out and trying to learn to read maps or buy safety gear all at once.

If you can get to a National Park (I hear there are some nice ones in Utah) they often times do easier ranger guided hikes that might be a good intro for a newbie like yourself.

I hear it's pretty darn breathtaking hiking there, I'm looking to get there in the next year, so you are going to really enjoy yourself.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Camelback and a decent pair of shoes, a good sun hat, preferably crushable synthetic. If you really want to go all out, Smartwool t-shirt
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Also, update us how it goes. I love hiking so much, I am giddy just thinking of what a lovely new world is about to open up for you.
  • I have been an avid hiker for years in California and find it is one of the best workouts for weight loss! Also, being outdoors on beautiful trails is a good stress reducer which also aids in weight loss. Check Meetup for hiking clubs in your area. Don't worry if you're shy, hikers are some of the nicest, most welcoming people I've ever met. It's more fun and easier to stick with it when you have a group you hike with, and when hiking routes and times are predetermined. Usually a group hike is a set route & time, so you're pretty much committed and can't quit partway through. For a good workout and weight loss, it's best to hike at least an hour, and look for trails with lots of hills. Hikes of 2-3 hours burn a lot of calories! Be sure to wear comfortable shoes. Many hikers wear official hiking shoes/boots, but I find running shoes or trail running shoes more comfortable. Most traditional running shoes are fine for hiking as long as they have good traction and they're not the new flatter soled "minimalist" style. Good luck and have fun on the trails!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    edited March 2015
    I live in Colorado Springs and do a lot of hiking.

For short hikes around town I carry water, and wear comfy running shoes.

For longer hikes, or those away from town, I carry a backpack containing water, a UV water purifier in case I need to restock from a stream, snacks, a thermal blanket, a whistle, a knife, small first aid kit, waterproof matches, a headlamp, and a handheld GPS. I also wear waterproof hiking shoes and carry bear spray and a handgun. The handgun is optional, of course, but I highly recommend the bear spray if you're going to be out with the critters.

If you have an REI store near you, look at some of the classes they offer. Many offer "backpacking for beginners" type classes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Sturdy shoes with some ankle support to avoid turning your ankle in rocky/gravelly terrain. (Skechers aren't what you will want) Your shoes are, in my opinion, probably your most important piece of gear for hiking. Make sure they are comfortable and sturdy.

This is good advice, especially for a beginner. But, I will say that ankle support is not needed by everyone even in rough terrain. I have very boney ankles and have never been able to find a lightweight warm weather boot that doesn't hurt my feet. I wear low top hiking shoes and have never had any problems. I have been doing this for decades though, so my ankles are quite strong. I worry more about snake bites from no ankle protection than turning an ankle.
  • dbmata
    skylark94 wrote: »

For longer hikes, or those away from town, I carry a backpack containing water, a UV water purifier in case I need to restock from a stream, snacks, a thermal blanket, a whistle, a knife, small first aid kit, waterproof matches, a headlamp, and a handheld GPS. I also wear waterproof hiking shoes and carry bear spray and a handgun. The handgun is optional, of course, but I highly recommend the bear spray if you're going to be out with the critters.

If you have an REI store near you, look at some of the classes they offer. Many offer "backpacking for beginners" type classes.
    I definitely agree here. For a couple reasons.

Firstly, Utah has a good population of blacks, and the first fatal black attack on record. Blacks hate the bear spray. They don't look that dangerous, but when they attack us, they attack to eat. Unlike big browns.

The handgun is something I keep at all times when hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. Good for signalling, but more importantly, I've had to use a firearm to protect myself in the backwoods from cougar and from wackadoos. It's rare, so rare that most people will never have a problem, but I'm the type that enjoys having 17 fast moving friends with me, just in case there is a need.

tomato, tomahto... whatevs.
  • I think distance is very subjective. What some call a long distance, for others is a walk in the park. I'd advice getting some walking books, a bottle of water and getting out there. Do what you can do and then try to increase it each time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    skylark94 wrote: »

I definitely agree here. For a couple reasons.

Firstly, Utah has a good population of blacks, and the first fatal black attack on record. Blacks hate the bear spray. They don't look that dangerous, but when they attack us, they attack to eat. Unlike big browns.

The handgun is something I keep at all times when hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. Good for signalling, but more importantly, I've had to use a firearm to protect myself in the backwoods from cougar and from wackadoos. It's rare, so rare that most people will never have a problem, but I'm the type that enjoys having 17 fast moving friends with me, just in case there is a need.

tomato, tomahto... whatevs.

We carry a pistol too, though we keep it loaded with snake shot. It won't do much to a bear or coyote (we don't have mtn lions) but the noise is enough to send them running. We have black bears, but no grisslies. Bear spray isn't something you can by here. I doubt most people in my area even know what it is.