Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Around $150 a week. We rarely eat out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Around $800/month for two adults and two young kids...maybe a little less...it's hard to say because our "pot" is commingled with other things, we don't have a straight up food budget.

This also doesn't include any eating out that we do which is pretty minimal...but that comes out of our entertainment budget.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I spend about $130 a week on groceries for a family of 4. I live in the middle of nowhere in MN and our local grocery story rapes you. I try to do the bulk of my shopping once a month at Cub Foods or Walmart but they're both over an hour away from where I live.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    $150/week for a family of 2, we rarely eat out so we make all meals at home. I live in Southern CA. Hopefully it will go down in a few months when we finally get to leave this place!
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Between me and my wife, about $100-$125 dollars a week.
    Though in the summer, we use our garden to full advantage and don't bother to buy veggies from our supermarket. We just pick them from our garden. We home can tomatoes for winter, dry peppers, blanch and freeze peas. Pickle beets, etc anything to stretch our garden. Not as much for price, but our garden veggies taste 10x better than the stores version.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    family of 5. if i added it up, id have a heart attack. it aint pretty, im sure! LOL!

(my guess, minus the eating out for lunch hubby and i frequently do.... $150ish a week. )
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    $600/mo for 2 adults, almost entirely at Costco, maybe $50-100 of that at WalMart. This includes pet food and boring household necessities like paper products, detergent, etc.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nortonsmom wrote: »
    I would be afraid to add up what we spend on food...we are like you ( 2 adults) We seldom go out and cook real food , nothing that is prepared from a box/frozen etc. If you are doing it for 150 I would like to see your menu!! Food is just expensive!
    I eat real food, I don't know anyone who eats plastic food. ;)

We spend about $600 a month on food, hubby and I, 20 year old son and 16 year old son, not including going out to eat. Florida here.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    201501_2021_checg_sm.jpg

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    We're at about $150 a week for a family of 4 in the Northeast. We have a Market Basket nearby which has lower prices...although lately I feel like that's not the case. And, then there are the incidentals during the week, which would probably spike that number. I seem to be spending more and more. My boys just won't stop eating!
    We eat out about one meal a week, maybe...
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC food is super expensive especially in local grocery stores. I have a family of 6 including myself. I do a once per month shopping in a big club like BJ's, Costco, etc. Anywhere from $300-$450 depending on how many things we need. Then the weekly stuff that my run out like bread, milk, orange juice, fruits and veggies I can end up buying once or twice per week $20-$30 dollars each time and the local stores are much more expensive. My kids eat out about once per week and as a family which can cost anywhere from $30-$75 depending on if its McDonald's or a local diner/big chain restaurant. Food is expensive and currently I am a stay at home mom who tries to budget when I go back to work I will be making more trips to Whole Food stores especially for produce. Its all about where you are in your life. I think you are doing well.
  • mrsjb1984
    mrsjb1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im in the uk, we spend on average £320 p/month or $450 usd. Thats for a family of 2 adults and 1 starving 7 year old! But we tend to buy things like cleaning chemicals, soap and deodorant all in the same shop, so the food itself would come in at $50 less a month ish i guess.

Seems alot. We get take away perhaps once a month and very rarely go out for a meal as a family.

It is more expensive to eat healthily than it is to buy rubbish-this cant be right surely!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    elsie_fair wrote: »
    201501_2021_checg_sm.jpg
    HA, yeup.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    RosieWest8 wrote: »
    I probably spend around $50-$70/wk. It's kind of hard because I don't go shopping every week. I usually go for the main things once/month and then I'll stop and get things like lunch meat or produce (the stuff that doesn't last too long). It's just me, though. Doesn't include meals out (which isn't that often) and I'm in the Midwest.

I am very similar. I probably spend $40 -$50 every Sunday when I do the main shopping, but always end up going back for other items. I usually eat lunch out once a week and dinner out once a week.

• stillwagon6539
    stillwagon6539 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Around $400 a month for my wife and I. We live in Houston, TX. Food is very expensive, especially fresh, I cook every night and we rarely eat out. I suggest simply looking up stuff you like to eat (kale, carrots, cabbage, etc..) and see what recipes pop up and interest you. As soon as you say "maybe I'll cook that" print the recipe and build a book. Slowly start to cook the recipes and once you find out whether you really like the meal / food or not you throw the recipe out and never buy that specific food item again or you expand your recipes through that favorite food item.

We cook tons of things ranging from stir fry, baked vegetables, tofu ($1.50 a pack for organic!!), soups to shakes and smoothies.

No joke though, I spend a lot of time browsing the internet for recipes that I really like so it does take time to fine turn your taste buds with what's on sale / available in stores. I try to buy organic but sometimes it's absurdly expensive.

What also helped us was to participate in a food co-op which forces you to cook / eat with what they had in season.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    £86 per week me and my boy who's 10. That's without meals out. I pack lunches, and eat some tinned fish which can be cheap, but also a lot of steak, greek yoghurt and eggs. Things are expensive in London, but I get everything reduced or in a deal if I can.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    About $400 a month for our family of 3. We don't eat out much. We buy bulk a lot: Buy 10lbs of shredded cheese at Sam's and divided it out to 8oz or 16oz baggies saves us $60 buck on the cheese we would be buying. Buy whole pork loins and cut it up into chops and roasts.
  • sjdowhower
    sjdowhower Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a family of 4 (me and 3 young boys who seem to eat EVERYTHING in sight) I shop sales, coupon, eat meatless, and whatever I can get on sale that helps keep it down. I spend between 300-400 a month. Right now, our grocery store is doing spend $25 on certain frozen foods get $15 off automatically. I will do that deal probably 2 or 3 times or more depending on what I can fit in my freezer, that will give me frozen pizza, veggies, breakfast and whatever else is included for a while. I also buy meat from our local store that is marked down because it needs used or frozen that day. I tend to get most our meat from there depending if I can get cheaper at like Walmart. It takes time but I have to for my budget with 3 young kids.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would say I spend 100 per week on the standard stuff that is always in my fridge (drinks, snacks, kid's lunch stuff..etc), but I go to the store and buy food to make dinner 3-4 times per week at about 30.00 per time I would guess. Then out to eat on the other days so another 20-50 per day depending.

All in all, too much. It's looking like 300 per week. Ouch.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

We spend about $600 a month on food, hubby and I, 20 year old son and 16 year old son, not including going out to eat. Florida here.

How do you spend that little?! Maybe Colorado is different, but I swear my family of 4 spends $900 a month on food (and I think that's underestimating).