Can I build muscle mass at home?

Options
I can't afford a gym membership right now. I'm trying to body recomp and build muscle mass. I have a set of 3pd dumbells, 5 pd dumbells, and 10 pd dumbells. Can I build muscle all over using these? How? Do I need resistance bands?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    With weights that low, I seriously doubt it. The 10 pd ones will be useful in the beginning, but will not last very long. Either buy heavier dumbbells, or look into bodyweight training. Or both of course.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask this over in the exercise forum to get some more knowledgeable folks to answer.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If you can do 20 reps of any exercise straight you wont build mass with it.
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of different body weight exercises you can use to add muscle to your physique. If you are new to exercising you should be able to put on some mass by using them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are bodyweight progressions that will help you build strength and muscle mass (especially in the beginning). Also, there are some non-traditional things you can do that will help (e.g., lifting furniture). It is simpler if you have the traditional weight lifting equipment (barbell), so if you can find a used set, you’ll have an easier time finding a progressive program.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For a traditional strength program, 10 pound dumbbells are far too light. You can probably already squat and deadlift 50 or 75 pounds today. If you want to do a beginner free weight program, you'll need a barbell, bench, and squat rack, and a couple hundred pounds of plates.

If you don't have room or money for that kind of equipment, invest a few bucks in a bodyweight strength training book. You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or Body By You are three good ones. Owning a book is handy because the programs are pretty complicated, and it's too hard to remember all the progressions.

YAYOG has an smart phone app that people seem to like.
  • nekiwa07
    nekiwa07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    nekiwa07 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

Weights are efficient and convenient but entirely unneeded to be honest. If you make up for a lack of weight with "explosive" efforts you can do without bars and plates entirely.

Look up box jumps, tornado ball, medicine ball throwing, bar calisthenics. You may have to visit the neighborhood playground for the last one. There are lots more, I will post as I think of them.

Check out Barstarz on YouTube, Hanibal4king claims to do only body weight and eats fast food every day and he certainly has developed significant muscle.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

Weights are efficient and convenient but entirely unneeded to be honest. If you make up for a lack of weight with "explosive" efforts you can do without bars and plates entirely.

Look up box jumps, tornado ball, medicine ball throwing, bar calisthenics. You may have to visit the neighborhood playground for the last one. There are lots more, I will post as I think of them.

Check out Barstarz on YouTube, Hanibal4king claims to do only body weight and eats fast food every day and he certainly has developed significant muscle.

I wouldn't go around telling everyone this. There may be a few people who managed a fair amount of muscular hypertrophy without touching weights; however, you must understand that they are the exception, not the rule. The rest of us? Well, we're the rule, because we don't have outstanding genetics. Also, explosive movements lend well to speed and , to a lesser extent, strength development but they aren't very useful for hypertrophy which is the OP's goal.

OP, bodyweight exercises are very useful but after a while you won't benefit from them as much. If at that point you have built enough muscle to satisfy your goals then that's great but if not you'll probably want to look into acquiring some weights or joining a gym.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't go around telling everyone this. There may be a few people who managed a fair amount of muscular hypertrophy without touching weights; however, you must understand that they are the exception, not the rule. The rest of us? Well, we're the rule, because we don't have outstanding genetics. Also, explosive movements lend well to speed and , to a lesser extent, strength development but they aren't very useful for hypertrophy which is the OP's goal.

OP, bodyweight exercises are very useful but after a while you won't benefit from them as much. If at that point you have built enough muscle to satisfy your goals then that's great but if not you'll probably want to look into acquiring some weights or joining a gym.

You are wrong, please research.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are great, but yours are too light to do you much good. To build muscle mass you want progressive overload and want to "lift heavy." "Lift heavy" means different things to different people and part of that is because people are at different levels of strength. Generally speaking, you want to lift in the four to ten rep range, so that your muscles are exhausted or nearly exhausted when you finish your fourth, fifth, ... tenth rep. That will cause micro-tears in your muscle. When you rest, provided that you are eating properly and getting enough protein, your muscle fibers will repair themselves and come back just a little bit stronger and a little bit bigger than before.

Note that your muscles don't care what you're lifting. It could be a barbell, a dumbbell, the back end of a car, or your own body. Given that you aren't ready to start in a gym and you don't have any real equipment at home, I'd suggest bodyweight exercises. Here's a link that's free and will give you all the info you need to start a long term program:

startbodyweight.com/p/exercise-progressions_12.html

Note that if you click on the individual exercises on the page, you'll get a progression for that exercise. The exercises listed are compound exercises which are a good way to build overall strength quickly:

Squat progression
    Pull up progression
    Handstand push up progression
    Leg raises progression
    Push up progression
    Dip progression
    Horizontal pulls progression
    Plank progression

These progressions will give you the progressive overload that you need to build muscle long term. Instead of adding another plate or a bigger dumbbell the way a weightlifter would, you change positions so that you're progressively making each exercise more difficult. For example, you might start with pushups against a wall, then on your knees, then a standard pushup, then diamond pushups, then uneven pushups, then finally one-armed pushups. If you stick with the program, you won't need a gym for a long, long time, if ever.

I'm doing some of these bodyweight exercises along with weights, since I already had the weights. I also use a weighted vest to make some of the moves more intense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    strengthunbound.com
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

You are wrong, please research.

What a compelling argument....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    .... hypertrophy which is the OP's goal.

That's an assumption. I get where it comes from, based on the OP, but the likely actual reality is we're talking about someone who is trying to shed fat to reveal underlying muscle. In which case the poster you are responding too is correct.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Your dumb bells are way too light, I would suggest to invest in some heavier dumb bells.
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

If you don't have money for equipment this is the best free advice you can get.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You will very quickly out grow those dumbbells...my guess is that your purse weighs more than your dumbbells. I would personally look into more body weight workouts and supplement some movements with the dumbbells and maybe invest in some resistance bands.

You can make great progress with body weight where your physique is concerned...the difficulty is in keeping it challenging enough so that your body has to continue to adapt..this means not only identifying which exercises you should do, but identifying variations of these exercises to progressively overload your body's capabilities.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    .... hypertrophy which is the OP's goal.

That's an assumption. I get where it comes from, based on the OP, but the likely actual reality is we're talking about someone who is trying to shed fat to reveal underlying muscle. In which case the poster you are responding too is correct.

The thread is titled "Can I Build Muscle Mass at Home" so that is the question that I answered. If the OP is asking the wrong question then that is the OP's problem, not mine.

The only "assumption" that I made is that the OP would like the question that she asked to be answered; not some other question that she did not ask.

"What time is it?"
    "Blue"
    "I asked what time it was."
    "Yes, you did, but you really meant to ask what color the sky was"
    "No I didn't, you sound like a retard"

^That's what just happened.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Push up reps and plank reps. And squats first without then with your weights behind your head
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes.

Body weight resistance exercises, what some are saying is low weight and high rep, have been scientifically proven to increase muscle mass. The key to heavy weight or light weight growth is to fatigue the muscle. Both are actually recommended to mix up routines and hit the different muscle fibers.

Plenty of research out there to support this. Look in the Journal of Applied Physiology or Science Daily.