Article: "How Low Cost Gyms Like Planet Fitness Psychologically Manipulate Members Into NOT Going"

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    fenshae wrote: »

I kind of love the idea of a gym that is actually somewhat hostile to the "usual" fitness crowd. It's weirdly subversive. And $10/month is in my budget where the $50+ for other nearby gyms is not.

jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif?w=245&h=206

I go a gym that has hostile customer service and I pay 77.00 monthly. I ignore them the facility is incredible...so I ignore them.

It's not just the customer service at Planet Fitness, though. It's the entire marketing strategy and, as a poster earlier in the thread said, members enjoy the hostile environment directed at fit people. How hypocritical!

I would never pay $77/month to be treated poorly by customer service at a gym. But, that's of course your choice.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    fenshae wrote: »

I kind of love the idea of a gym that is actually somewhat hostile to the "usual" fitness crowd. It's weirdly subversive. And $10/month is in my budget where the $50+ for other nearby gyms is not.

jennifer-lawrence-gif.gif?w=245&h=206

I go a gym that has hostile customer service and I pay 77.00 monthly. I ignore them the facility is incredible...so I ignore them.

It's not just the customer service at Planet Fitness, though. It's the entire marketing strategy and, as a poster earlier in the thread said, members enjoy the hostile environment directed at fit people. How hypocritical!

I would never pay $77/month to be treated poorly by customer service at a gym. But, that's of course your choice.

Well no one treats me poorly cuz...i responded appropriately when i first was treated like that and they are basically ...distant. so I just ignore them. period.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness almost exactly one year ago. As a middle aged, overweight , out of shape woman I wanted a place to fit in. I go 3 to 4 times a week and have built an exercise routine that led me to workout the same amount when out of town for vacation. Along with MFP I have dropped 50 lbs. and 4 pant sizes and it has changed my life. I have no respect for those that put down PF just because it doesn't fit their idea of what a gym should be because it's exactly what I needed a gym to be!

^^ that. I go because as a self employed woman with a disabled husband and 3 kids... money matters. I can afford $10/ month. I can NOT afford what other places charge. I go anywhere from 5-7 days a week. I stay for an hour and work my *kitten* off. Today was a milestone for me - a full hour on the elliptical - when i started, i couldn't even do 10 minutes!

I don't care what the other people look like, or what they can do, or what their goals are. I have weight to lose, and exercise is a MAJOR component of my plan (and is working). But, for the record, There is a HUGE variety of people- several ethnicities; ages from high schoolers to 70+ years old; from very athletic (looking) and muscular, to overweight and just trying their best. Even my husband commented about the diversity when he dropped me off the first time. And thats one of the things i love about it! Whatever level you are at, whatever you look like, you are NOT the only one!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    My issue with Planet Fitness is how hypocritical it is. "Welcome to the judgement free zone".....except our staff....our staff get to be judgmental.

And all of our members who joined to avoid said judgement zones? Feel free to create a hostile environment to other members who have more gym experience than you do. Because, fit people suck*

*Members who successfully meet their fitness goals should be prepared to GTFO.

That's so true. When I first started to work out I had a PF membership because there were no other gyms around. I went to the gym with my brother on my black card so he could show me some new exercises. My brother is 6'6 and is very fit. You should have seen the glares he got from the staff there. They were waiting to pounce on that lunk alarm.

Thankfully a newer and nicer gym opened up that is the same price so I don't have to deal with PF anymore. Canceling with them is a nightmare. They do not make it easy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I joined Planet Fitness almost exactly one year ago. As a middle aged, overweight , out of shape woman I wanted a place to fit in. I go 3 to 4 times a week and have built an exercise routine that led me to workout the same amount when out of town for vacation. Along with MFP I have dropped 50 lbs. and 4 pant sizes and it has changed my life. I have no respect for those that put down PF just because it doesn't fit their idea of what a gym should be because it's exactly what I needed a gym to be!

endorsing a gym that hates on fit people?

cool. Whatever rocks your socks.

I definitely understand that criticism. But I have not witnessed it myself- can you elaborate?Then again there are very few fit women (a lot of the men are in pretty good shape) that attend the one I go to. I'm not even bragging but I'm probably one of the most in shape women there and that's not saying much lol.

The entire premise of the gym is built on demeaning and mocking serious athletes- or people who love their training.

It's literally a gym that hates on fit people.

Could you imagine the amount of epic back lash a gym would get if their ENTIRE marketing scheme was making fun of fat people?

You mean the commercials (that they play all the time in the gym) mocking the in shape people? You're right- it's offensive. It's funny because I see the commercials with the half naked chicks in the locker room and think "OMG I can't wait to look like that" haha.
    exactly
    I love PF because there are never lines for cardio machines, the price is more than reasonable and it's within walking distance from my home. When I was heavier I did feel out of place at bigger gyms where I felt like I was the heaviest one there- but that was my own insecurities. But I understand why someone like yourself who is in great shape and takes their workouts seriously would be offended by their culture.

no lines because pretty much all they own is cardio LOL- lots of pieces of it = no lines.

Plus the huge percentage of members don't actually go. Shrug- like I said- I don't begrudge anyone for going- it definitely works for a lot of reasons- but I just wish they had gone about it in a different way.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    My issue with Planet Fitness is how hypocritical it is. "Welcome to the judgement free zone".....except our staff....our staff get to be judgmental.

And all of our members who joined to avoid said judgement zones? Feel free to create a hostile environment to other members who have more gym experience than you do. Because, fit people suck*

*Members who successfully meet their fitness goals should be prepared to GTFO.

That's so true. When I first started to work out I had a PF membership because there were no other gyms around. I went to the gym with my brother on my black card so he could show me some new exercises. My brother is 6'6 and is very fit. You should have seen the glares he got from the staff there. They were waiting to pounce on that lunk alarm.

Thankfully a newer and nicer gym opened up so I don't have to deal with PF anymore. Canceling with them is a nightmare. They do not make it easy.

I've heard they make it really hard! Shameful.

My friend got lunked for checking her form in the mirror. Was humiliated and never went back. Real nice.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My local community pool/gym offered some of us who go to their daytime aqua aerobics class an amazing deal for a membership (200 pounds a year, which was even lower than the student discount membership). I signed up as even going to aqua alone would cost that much for the year. They then promptly announced they were cancelling all day aqua classes. I suspect their membership deal was meant to get us to sign up and then no longer come because our class wasn't on.

Jokes on them though as I'm determined to get in shape, and use the gym 2-3 times a week, and the pool the other days. It took some of the staff a while to not look surprised when I kept coming in. I figure I have a membership, so I'm going to use it!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    My local community pool/gym offered some of us who go to their daytime aqua aerobics class an amazing deal for a membership (200 pounds a year, which was even lower than the student discount membership). I signed up as even going to aqua alone would cost that much for the year. They then promptly announced they were cancelling all day aqua classes. I suspect their membership deal was meant to get us to sign up and then no longer come because our class wasn't on.

Jokes on them though as I'm determined to get in shape, and use the gym 2-3 times a week, and the pool the other days. It took some of the staff a while to not look surprised when I kept coming in. I figure I have a membership, so I'm going to use it!

Kudos to you! When we do not use the gym no one loses but us...

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I definitely understand that criticism. But I have not witnessed it myself- can you elaborate?Then again there are very few fit women (a lot of the men are in pretty good shape) that attend the one I go to. I'm not even bragging but I'm probably one of the most in shape women there and that's not saying much lol.

This one gets me everytime. I still can't figure out if the manager/owner is a paid actor, or if that's actually how they convey the company line.

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

The entire premise of the gym is built on demeaning and mocking serious athletes- or people who love their training.

It's literally a gym that hates on fit people.

Could you imagine the amount of epic back lash a gym would get if their ENTIRE marketing scheme was making fun of fat people?

You mean the commercials (that they play all the time in the gym) mocking the in shape people? You're right- it's offensive. It's funny because I see the commercials with the half naked chicks in the locker room and think "OMG I can't wait to look like that" haha.
    exactly
    I love PF because there are never lines for cardio machines, the price is more than reasonable and it's within walking distance from my home. When I was heavier I did feel out of place at bigger gyms where I felt like I was the heaviest one there- but that was my own insecurities. But I understand why someone like yourself who is in great shape and takes their workouts seriously would be offended by their culture.

no lines because pretty much all they own is cardio LOL- lots of pieces of it = no lines.

Plus the huge percentage of members don't actually go. Shrug- like I said- I don't begrudge anyone for going- it definitely works for a lot of reasons- but I just wish they had gone about it in a different way.

LOL yeah the equipment really reflects the fitness values they endorse. I'm one of the few women who spends a lot of time in the weights section and I find it very restricting. That's why I'm scheduling my workouts around non-peak times. It's fine for now for a beginner like me. I see heavy lifters there (mostly men) and I wonder what exactly are you getting out of this place? LOL
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I must say I am shocked at how different Planet Fitness appears to be in other countries, I assume people commenting are American? I am in Europe, recently became a Planet fitness member and it looks pretty good: typical gym environment, lots of weight lifters (and lots of weights, benches etc), some really good instructors. It is actually the only gym in 20 years or so that am exercising where I see several women into serious weight training, and also a female staff member coaching weight lifters. Early evening classes are too crowded, but I usually do not go at that time, so not a big problem for me.
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is in fitness everyone has to do what fits them. I had a gym membership and I do not use it. Reason is, I paid for a personal trainer who was so unprofessional. I wanted my behind kicked but she had her friends come in and talk to her while I was having my training and then they would, as I felt make fun of me. They would say things like that not a good push up! Here is how you do it. I expect my trainer to do that not her friends. Also I swear she was flirting with my husband. She would talk about a band she was in and invite only him to come see her and talk about what she was going to wear, like we cared. We ended up not going anymore and when we complained about her (she got fired for our reason and others) they offered us (what we thought was) a free year. But no, it's another year we have to pay for. So I am not a fan of gyms for that reason. In my case they just wanted to get all the money they could and run. I could use they gym yes, but it's an uncomfortable place for me now.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can't read the article at work, but I've already heard a lot about this before.
    Anyone have the Gif of an obese guy eating pizza while using some sort of ab machine?
    PF type gyms definitely seem based around members not frequently using their membership.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    The husband and I have a gym membership and it ends up being $60 a month for both of us.... My husband maybe goes once a month so they love him. I feel like I have to get my money's worth so I go at least 5x a week just so I don't feel like we're wasting $60!
  • Hottie_McTottie
    Options
    Why not just let people go to whatever gym they want? I go to Planet Fitness and it suits my needs just fine. $21/month is the perfect price. I would never EVER pay $500/month for a gym membership. That is just ludicrous. If I have the $6,000/year to spend on a gym membership then I might as well buy my own equipment and work out at home.
  • msufan79pat
    msufan79pat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe I wrote what I did because I have never seen some of the demeaning things that have apparently been happening at PF. I honestly have never seen it , and I guess not being an athlete, or anything close, didn't even think about the commercials, which I rarely see. I am grateful for what it has done for me but would definitely go elsewhere and gladly pay more if I felt any of the hostility there that others posting here have obviously experienced. I meant no disrespect to those who are fit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Why not just let people go to whatever gym they want? I go to Planet Fitness and it suits my needs just fine. $21/month is the perfect price. I would never EVER pay $500/month for a gym membership. That is just ludicrous. If I have the $6,000/year to spend on a gym membership then I might as well buy my own equipment and work out at home.

Hm, I thought PF only charged $10 per month? And I'm not sure what gyms cost $500 per month. I always thought crossfit was expensive, and it ranges from $150-250 per month that I've seen (full access). Maybe a gym that comes with personal training (essentially hiring a personal trainer every time you're in the gym) would cost $500 a month?
  • Azexas
    Options

Who the heck is paying $500 a month on a gym membership?
  • Hottie_McTottie
    Options

Per the article:

How much does a good gym run? As much as $500 a month, and if you’re paying that much, you’re sure as hell gonna make sure you get something out of it.
  • Azexas
    Options

Per the article:

How much does a good gym run? As much as $500 a month, and if you’re paying that much, you’re sure as hell gonna make sure you get something out of it.

I must have missed that part of the article. I've never seen a gym membership in my area run that much. The campus gym at my college would offer a membership for $500 a semester.

I guess I lucked out- I pay 14.99 a month for a gym with several squat racks, free weights, and a few personal trainer sessions.