Increase in running/walking distance

Options
I've been on here since the end of September and have lost almost 30 pounds with a combo of diet and exercise. I started out running 2-3 miles consistently and slowly worked my way up to 4 miles. My average 4 mile time including stop light wait time is 44-46 minutes which is pretty good from where I started. I do strength training on my own when I feel up to it to add shape to my muscles.

My main question is I'm tired of my 4 mile route and using mapmydistance.com I found a new route that I would like to start trying that I know is relatively safe for me as a pedestrian, but it's a little over 5 miles. Would it be too much for me to tack on that new route and just start of slow but work on getting faster? Or should I continue my old route and tack on smaller distances through the neighborhood before I try and conquer the 5 mile route?

Another question: Should I be using the treadmill once in a while as an indicator for how fast and far I can run? The other day I tested myself and found that at 2 miles I can run 19:45 which is the fastest I've ever measured myself run that distance.

I guess any other tips and tricks to make the run more fun I guess. I do occasionally do HIIT when I know my body can handle it, I've gotten hurt and sick before from putting my body under too much stress so that's not a main concern for me at the moment.

Thanks again!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You should be able to add on the mile without much of an issue.

No, I would not use the treadmill. They aren't always accurate for pace plus running outside is different than on a treadmill. Some people find they can run faster on a treadmill, personally, I can't keep my outdoor pace up on the treadmill.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You should be able to add on the mile without much of an issue.

No, I would not use the treadmill. They aren't always accurate for pace plus running outside is different than on a treadmill. Some people find they can run faster on a treadmill, personally, I can't keep my outdoor pace up on the treadmill.

I cant really add anything else of value. You should try to push yourself farther. Maybe looking into a training program of somekind that will push you week to week to add in longer and longer distances, and some intervals for speed work. Changing up a routine can be great for you.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I can run much farther and faster outside than on the treadmill so I don't think it translates well. If you're worried about bumping a mile at once on the new route, you could always go the new way, run a little more than your normal distance and walk the rest as cool down. I personally think you could add the extra distance with no problem.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Generally the running rule is to add no more than 10% at a time
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So you could run your normal route plus a bit then a bit more until up to 3.6 miles then it should be easier to run your new route without disappointment.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    iankirsch wrote: »
    Generally the running rule is to add no more than 10% at a time

That's per week mileage. If OP is running 4 miles several times a week, one 5ish mile run will be fine. Also what @3dogsrunning‌ said.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Try it...if the 5 miles is too far to run you certainly can walk a bit until you can do the entire route. In the big scheme of things approximate calories burned from walking and running compared as a function of distance are almost the same.
  • virgo92saphire92
    virgo92saphire92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Update: Just finished the 5 mile route and I did it in 65 minutes without pushing myself that hard. At least now I know that I can do it and work at making that faster!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    way to go. When ever I want to increase my distance I try not to add more than a mile a week to each walk. A run walk mix is a great way to stay in shape without feeling way out of breath. Good Luck on your continued success. Keep up the road work treadmills are so much more boring.