Which oil?

Options
Sunjenk
Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
Sometimes when I cook I need to use oil, I was wondering if anyone had an information on what the 'best' oil choice is, if oil needs to be used?

Not for baking, but for putting in the bottom of a pan for veggies or something.

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have heard that some oils shouldn't be used to cook with because it changes the molecular structure of the oil. Some oils just don't take high heat well so it's best not to use unless it can take high heats. I don't know which one's they are though, sorry!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    to saute use extra virgin olive oil. to fry use cannola oil. both are high in mono unsaterated fats. EVO should not be used for high heat because it denatures and becomes more saturated.
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    The best choices are Extra Virgin Olive Oil a.k.a. (EVOO) or Canola oil. Instead of using cooking spray, get a bottle sprayer ( you can find it at the dollar store) fill it with either or buy 2 sprayers, put olive oil in one and canola in the other. When you need to cover to coat a pan or food, a couple of spritzes will do the trick. When baking, canola oil is best.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for all my cooking.... I also have Avocado Oil for special occasions / salad dressings, but that is a bit more expensive so cant use it all the time...
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    I also use sesame oil for some of my dishes.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I always use extra virgin olive oil for just about everything. It works perfect for cooking vegs, and tastes great. Plus it's good for you. If you're stir-frying with high heat, you'll want to use peanut oil.
  • muelle71
    muelle71 Posts: 7
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil is great for anything uncooked, like dressings, dips, pasta salad, etc. It tends to burn when you're using it to saute, so I use grapeseed oil for sauteed veggies, because it withstands higher temps. Nutrition-wise, they're all pretty much the same, just steer clear of anything with saturated or trans fats. Try sesame oil too, it has a great flavor, and a little bit with vinegar on a salad with oranges and almonds is awesome.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE using Coconut oil! It is so good and is ideal for high cooking temps. If you google cooking with coconut oil.. you will come up with all kinds of info. I used to use EVOO, but I learned that it is not the best choice because it doesn't do well at high temps.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I also love using coconut oil. I do use EVOO if cooking at low-temps, but mostly just use the coconut oil and butter. I started using it after I found this page, looking for the same answer.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/unhealthy-vs-healthy-cooking-oils.html