When weighing apples?

Options
2»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Agree!! It's a apple. It's healthy. Eat one. Log it using what's in the data base and get on with your life. ONE apple = good. 6 apples = excessive. Sometimes you have to put away the scale and use commonsense.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I eat the apple and enjoy it and then log it using the MFP data base (small, medium or large).
    Me too.
  • GGDaddy
    Options
    Sometimes you have to put away the scale and use commonsense.

So just out of curiosity, ate my medium Gala apple the way I normally would for dinner, then compared it to the database.

Per food scale and USDA data: 113 calories
    Per mfp database: 80 calories

That's a 33 calorie difference. If you don't care about a 33 calorie error in just one food item, then more power to you I guess. But sometimes you need to put away the "commonsense" and use the scale.
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I core my apples and then weigh them. I do NOT use the small, medium, large entries in the database, I go by weight for everything.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I twisted off and disposed of the apple stem today. Can someone please help me figure out how many calories I need to deduct from my calorie count? Does anyone know how much an apple stem weighs?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple a day. I weigh it, eat it, then weigh the core to subtract before tossing. Takes all of 10 seconds.

Is it necessary/worth it? Well I had a small Honeycrisp apple a couple of days ago for 37 calories. Had a large Granny Smith last week for 152 calories. Hardly the +/- 10 calories that people seem to be citing as gospel.

Log or don't log, weight or don't weigh, whatever floats your boat. And the entire continuum is represented on mfp. Heck, I don't bother weighing spinach or broccoli. But among those people who weigh, many find it to be worth weighing apples.

This^^ is what I do with apples when I eat them at home, and I certainly see 50+ calorie differences between apples, and I mostly buy small to medium ones (no large ones). If I eat an apple away from home and my scales, I just take my best guess (and after weighing and eating as many apples as I do, I think it's likely to be a reasonably good guess).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I twisted off and disposed of the apple stem today. Can someone please help me figure out how many calories I need to deduct from my calorie count? Does anyone know how much an apple stem weighs?

With all the cookies you'll be eating tomorrow evening, Santa, I think you can just let the apple stem go.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    But sometimes you need to put away the "commonsense" and use the scale.

Buy them in packs, by weight, with nutrition information. Put three in my briefcase for consumption during the day, or stick one in my pocket when I take the dog out for a walk. Any difference between them nets off over the course of a week.

Mitigate for any errors by coming in under goal calories anyway.

There is also a load of burn that I don't account for, the walk from the train to work is 150 calories, so I'm already 300 ahead five days a week.

Achievability and practicality are key to anyone trying to manage their consumption, and as it's all based on a stack of assumptions there is little value in being overly accurate in one area when the rest of the model isn't set up for that level of accuracy.
  • GGDaddy
    Options
    Buy them in packs, by weight, with nutrition information. Put three in my briefcase for consumption during the day, or stick one in my pocket when I take the dog out for a walk. Any difference between them nets off over the course of a week.

Won't work for me, kids eat the other apples. Isn't it easier to just take the 5 seconds to weigh it like anything else?
    Mitigate for any errors by coming in under goal calories anyway.

There is also a load of burn that I don't account for, the walk from the train to work is 150 calories, so I'm already 300 ahead five days a week.

I try to hit my target dead on, not come in under. When I do as you are advocating I hit the wall and am dead trying to finish my 750-900 calorie workouts.

But thanks for twice projecting your preferences into my situation.
    Achievability and practicality are key to anyone trying to manage their consumption, and as it's all based on a stack of assumptions there is little value in being overly accurate in one area when the rest of the model isn't set up for that level of accuracy.

Well "the model" is what we make of it. Without debating the finer points of statistical analysis (which I'd be happy to do elsewhere), why wouldn't it be best to reduce known errors where you can so that the overall standard error is reduced?

Also, why is it somehow not "achievable" or "practical" to simply weigh an apple just like any other food item?

But heck, why stop with apples (30-50 calorie error)? Why bother tracking ketchup (20 cal/tbsp)? Why bother tracking a tsp pat of butter (33 cal)? Or a Hershey's Kiss (22 cal)? Or a bite of cookie (25 cal)? Or the Bearnaise sauce that the restaurant put on your steak? The model isn't set up for those, right?

Like I said before, some people don't weigh anything, some people don't even bother logging. They somehow manage to lead happy and fulfilled lives, and more power to them--wherever on the spectrum they land.

Of those who prefer to log & weigh, many have made the choice to treat apples like any other food and weigh them. You mad?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I try to hit my target dead on, not come in under. When I do as you are advocating I hit the wall and am dead trying to finish my 750-900 calorie workouts.

Wasn't intentional, I should have been clearer that I was articulating my situation.
  • GGDaddy
    Options

Wasn't intentional, I should have been clearer that I was articulating my situation.

All good :drinker:
  • diana20133
    Options
    Apples are naturally low in calories and high in fiber, which are perfect for a healthy low-calorie diet. I try apple diet http://www.bestjuicedietrecipes.com/juice-diet-recipes/apple-diet/ to lose weight for Christmas.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Be accurate. I weigh what I eat. Since I meal prep, I just make sure to slice up & weigh an apple instead of taking an entire Apple with me to work. So that I know how much I'm eating. Good question. A lot of ppl (proof is on your reies) just eat it and log of with a generic calorie count. Resulting in inaccurate daily calorie counts. Best way to reach your goals is to be accurate. Best of luck with the apples! Lol.
  • rachelnumberone
    rachelnumberone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can eat the whole apple (sans stem obviously) but there is no reason to core it really.
  • rachelnumberone
    rachelnumberone Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ScottH_200 wrote: »
    Some of these threads are interesting to say the least. Is it really necessary to be that exact when logging an apple?

Your wife's a lucky woman Scott :neutral_face: