does anyone else use the wii or kinect to exercise?

Options
If so what games do you use? I like to mix it up, but on the wii i'd say the ea sports active ones are the best for losing the pounds. Wii fits fun but not as effective I find. On kinect its gonna be Kinect sports especially the calorie challange add on tracks cals and you have to beat food as your target cal loss. Great fun way to shed the pounds!

Replies

• awittrock03
    Options
    I use both, But my favorite is Dance Central, and it counts your calories as well. I like the Kinect since you don't have to hold anything :-)
  • tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    I read an article in a Men's Health book recently that said that basically, while the exercises are fun, 75-80% of them don't really do anything for you. The cardio ones do of course, but that is about it. It was one man's opinion of course but I think it was written by an exercise physiologist.

With that said, I love my Wii Fit Plus....if nothing else, it does burn more calories than sitting on the sofa!
  • carlosdon
    carlosdon Posts: 125
    Options
    I use both, But my favorite is Dance Central, and it counts your calories as well. I like the Kinect since you don't have to hold anything :-)

I like dance central! still can't dance like, but I like to think it's made me slightly better, but maybe actually more embarrassing on the dance floor!
  • carlosdon
    Options
    I read an article in a Men's Health book recently that said that basically, while the exercises are fun, 75-80% of them don't really do anything for you. The cardio ones do of course, but that is about it. It was one man's opinion of course but I think it was written by an exercise physiologist.

With that said, I love my Wii Fit Plus....if nothing else, it does burn more calories than sitting on the sofa!

Thats probably true, still misses the point! ea sports active probably ticks all the boxes, but of course it's not as much fun and it can actually feel like real exercise shock horror. Still thats my exercise game of choice!
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Your Shape Fitness Evolved on the kinect. It seriously kicks my butt and it's great not having to hold a controller. I was never able to comfortably use EA sports active on the wii. I used to use Wii Fit but the workout there is nothing compared to Your Shape.
  • adougherty10
    Options
    Just Dance 2 - it doesn't track your calories or anything but it's fun & I can tell it burns calories since it makes my heart beat so fast & it's something I can do with my kiddos
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use a few different ones....

WiiFitPlus......I create my own Yoga and Strenght routine for 30mins....and I also do the Free Run, Parade, the Obstical Course and Boxing the most.....People don't realize that there are ways to burn a lot of calories on there, you just have stick with it. I use my own HRM and it's pretty close if not accurate most of the time

EA Sports Active2......I completed the CardioKickStart program and I just started the 9Week Pro.....I also created like 4 different custom workouts that help me burn more calories as well.

Zumba....I know the guys may or may not like it but its a great additional way to burn some calories

Just Dance 2 and Michael Jackson's dance game......I get the most workout doing these because I can do it for over an hour str8. You burn serious cals dancing.

xoxox
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had wii fit plus for a while and got ea sports active yesterday. Have only done one workout on it yet, but so far I like it!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I just started using Wii Zumba Fitness and it was so much fun that I started looking for Zumba at some of the local fitness centers in my area. Tonight, I'm going to a Zumba "dance party" fundraiser at our town's community center. I may not be good at this but I"m living my life as a participant and not a spectator :)
  • flexgirl
    flexgirl Posts: 4
    Options
    Your Shape Fitness for Kinect has so many different levels of workouts to choose from and they will definitely make you use muscles you forgot you had, giving you a serious workout. I love it! :smile:
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this for when I need it :)
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the EA sport wii game 30 day challenge on high intensity and then do about 20-30 minutes of Just Dance 1 or 2 or the Zumba wii game. After 2 weeks I am already see great results!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have a wii system and I sometimes use Just Dance 2 which is fun, zumba which I can get a pretty good burn from and Im sweating like crazy after lol, and I also have 2 EA active games/workout but i dont use those as much. I use an HRM to see how many calories are burned and the zumba burns the most :)
  • tropikanagirl
    tropikanagirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I got Zumba today and it is awesome. I used the kinect adventures and kinect sports too. That can really get you to burn calories. Got Biggest Loser because a friend of mine lost 30 lbs doing this in one month! She also stuck with her diet! I have to return my biggest loser cause its damaged :-(. But I ddi play the demo and it is cool.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We have Kinect and have used Kinect Sports and Adventures since December. I just got Your Shape Fitness Evolved for Mother's Day. The experts may say it doesn't do much, but I think differently. My hubby lost 10 pounds in 1 month just playing the first two, and absolutely nothing else. He didn't watch what he ate, chugs Mountain Dew all day, and being a gamer-doesn't get off the couch other than to change his games. This was the only exercise he would get. And just doing Your shape for 30 mins (the squats and lunges), I was so sore the next two day, and then lost half an inch of each of my thighs. And I go to the gym 5-6 days/week (and haven't been that sore), so I would say, it is working something. Oh, and love the new calorie counter on kinect sports!!!
  • carlosdon
    Options
    I use Your Shape Fitness Evolved on the kinect. It seriously kicks my butt and it's great not having to hold a controller. I was never able to comfortably use EA sports active on the wii. I used to use Wii Fit but the workout there is nothing compared to Your Shape.

Yeah I got that don't use it as much as I should but it's great. Do you have any of the extra exercises downloaded?
  • carlosdon
    Options
    Oh, and love the new calorie counter on kinect sports!!!

Took me a few days but I finally beat all the food and drink!
  • firedwings
    firedwings Posts: 11
    Options
    Just bought myself a Kinect with Kinect Adventures, Sports and Kinectimals. Will be getting Dance Central as the demo wasted me! I do feel this is a much better system then Wii Fit (which I have had for 2 years then traded in for Kinect) I find that the Wii is ok for more gentle exercise except for EA which will make you sweat and get your heart racing.

I think for each person the effects will differ. I think in general this is good for someone like me (very over weight to obese) who's joints couldn't take hard action but as the weight shifts, can then upgrade to some real sports and thow the game in on days off. Good luck to all you gaming exercise goers!
  • carlosdon
    Options
    I think for each person the effects will differ. I think in general this is good for someone like me (very over weight to obese) who's joints couldn't take hard action but as the weight shifts, can then upgrade to some real sports and thow the game in on days off. Good luck to all you gaming exercise goers!

exactly it pushes your fitness up so when you do tackle the harder stuff (real sports, tennis, squash, running) and gym its not such a leap from nothing. Losing weight and more importantly having fun more energy and getting out of bed in the mornings (which is new for me)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do EA Sports Active 2 on the PS3, currently doing the 9 week challenge on "hard." It's not *fun* but it's effective.