Want to join military :) anyone else with the same goal?

Options
I need to lose 40lbs to get to the goal weight. Anyone else that's doing it to join, add me! Especially anyone from NYC! This has been something I've always wanted to do, that I should've done before I gained all this weight. But I'm still young and it's not too late. Workout buddies would be nice too. <3

Replies

• ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I am a little older than you but trying to do the same thing. I am at my last 25 pounds. I lost a good amount of weight living in Europe and gained it all back within months of living in the U.S. again. I am a little frustrated with myself. However, I just went in and talked to the army recruiter yesterday. so 20-25 pounds it is, and I want to accomplish that in about 7 weeks. Hopefully I can show some weight loss this week, and go take my ASVAB soon. how is your journey going? adding you.
  • _Reyna_
    _Reyna_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will message you! :) so we can continue the conversation there.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I spent a year in the Norwegian army. I gained 15 kilos. Much sad.
  • kennedyquentinrobert
    Options
    Current U.S. Navy member here, good luck to you guys and stay on track. You can do it
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    If you go to a recruiter, they'll tell you what you should weigh before trying all the physical fit things. I helped my husband lose the weight before he went in. Your goal weight may be a lot less than what they care for.
  • _Reyna_
    Options
    Current U.S. Navy member here, good luck to you guys and stay on track. You can do it

Thank you! & thank you for your service :)
  • _Reyna_
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    If you go to a recruiter, they'll tell you what you should weigh before trying all the physical fit things. I helped my husband lose the weight before he went in. Your goal weight may be a lot less than what they care for.

I spoke to a recruiter, she told me what I should weigh. She going to check my height too, because she thinks I'm 5'6 but I told her I'm 5'7. She's giving me a month to lose 10pds and then I have to go for a weigh in. I guess she's going to check every month to see where I stand. My scale keeps giving me different numbers. So I don't bother checking anymore. Im just going to wait till I see her to see my progress.
  • _Reyna_
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I spent a year in the Norwegian army. I gained 15 kilos. Much sad.

Ouch :/ I'm sure you can lose it quick with hard work and motivation.
  • yasminwild28
    Options
    If you find a GOOD recruiter, they should allow you to PT with them until you reach you goal. Recruiting is like a game, if your an asset to the quota (ex. Black female that score 50+ on asvab). Your a gold mine. Be vigilant and determined.!
  • yasminwild28
    Options
    _Reyna_ wrote: »

I spoke to a recruiter, she told me what I should weigh. She going to check my height too, because she thinks I'm 5'6 but I told her I'm 5'7. She's giving me a month to lose 10pds and then I have to go for a weigh in. I guess she's going to check every month to see where I stand. My scale keeps giving me different numbers. So I don't bother checking anymore. Im just going to wait till I see her to see my progress.

Also don't let weight be your downfall. I'm in the military as well, so I'm not talking out my *kitten* when I say this. You will gain muscle weight so they can tape you. I have tons of friends who are CUT and come in OVER weight and always get taped. Also remember you HAVE to maintain that weight throughout boot camp and the duration of your DEP. period. There are many obstacles to go through during the wait period. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I joined later with 3 kids and struggle with maintaining and ideal safe weight.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's my journey right now. The recruiters in my area didn't offer the chance to due PT with them (then again, I didn't ask), but I've been doing fine on my own :-). I have about 5 more pounds to drop to reach BF% standards and then I should be able to start enlistment the enlistment process.
  • yasminwild28
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what branch you want to join
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what branch you want to join

Army.

• yasminwild28
    Options
    OK their standards are high as far as fitness but once your on the right track keep it up.
  • _Reyna_
    Options
    If you find a GOOD recruiter, they should allow you to PT with them until you reach you goal. Recruiting is like a game, if your an asset to the quota (ex. Black female that score 50+ on asvab). Your a gold mine. Be vigilant and determined.!

She invited me to PT with her, but I started going to the gym also. She's an awesome recruiter, thank you :)
  • _Reyna_
    Options
    _Reyna_ wrote: »

Also don't let weight be your downfall. I'm in the military as well, so I'm not talking out my *kitten* when I say this. You will gain muscle weight so they can tape you. I have tons of friends who are CUT and come in OVER weight and always get taped. Also remember you HAVE to maintain that weight throughout boot camp and the duration of your DEP. period. There are many obstacles to go through during the wait period. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I joined later with 3 kids and struggle with maintaining and ideal safe weight.

I told her I wanted to make weight instead of being taped, but if that happens then oh well. Guess I will be getting taped. Yeah I plan on making the gym my best friend lol. It's always good to hear from a female, thank you so much and thank you for your service!
  • _Reyna_
    Options
    Rashanti1 wrote: »
    That's my journey right now. The recruiters in my area didn't offer the chance to due PT with them (then again, I didn't ask), but I've been doing fine on my own :-). I have about 5 more pounds to drop to reach BF% standards and then I should be able to start enlistment the enlistment process.

Congrats!! I'm trying to join the Army also.