Just cannot find a good whey to drink it.

Options
I hate the taste of whey with water, I need to have it with water because I'm on a cut, but it just tastes so nasty! Any suggestions for something low cal I could drink it with instead? Like a milk substitute of some kind perhaps?

Pardon the horrendous pun, it's late whey past my bedtime, I should be curdled up asleep by now.

Replies

• clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, which is usually less cals than normal milk - I don't mind the taste, and with whey, doesn't make too much difference!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any protein powder that tastes good with water. Try almond and coconut milk or just plain almond. They average around 68 calories for 250ml
  • rickorford
    rickorford Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you. I like Kaizen Natural Whey, 2 scoops plus 1 cup of organic 1% milk. I also add 3-4 ice cubes and run it through my magic bullet. Don't cut out the Milk- it's got calcium which is very helpful for weight loss!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with 1/4 cup (56g) full fat plain yogurt and 240 ml water. Comes to 208 calories. The yogurt makes a huge difference for me.
  • mylittleangel8910
    Options
    Almond milk buddy. what a difference!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I ♡ puns.

Why no milk? 3/4 cup skim is super cheap calorie-wise plus provides protein.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different type of protein, other than whey? Egg, Pea, brown rice, soy...

I like the AdvantEdge protein shakes that come pre-made. 100-110 calories and 17g protein. Chocolate and vanilla are my favorites, but cafe caramel is good too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Trutein brand. Its expensive but it should fit your requirements.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Or still have it with water, but also add cottage cheese.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened Almond milk. It's only 30 calories, and does help with the flavor. Using 2 scoops of whey, instead of one, may help too. It also helps to use a blender, and if you can throw half of a frozen banana in with your scoop of whey and cup of Almond milk, it starts getting much better.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the puns...
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have it with water. Designer Whey is very good. Trader Joe's also tastes very good. I have no idea how they compare protein wise to other brands..I just use it once in a while.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Trutein is good. But I still MUCH prefer it with milk. It's worth the 80 calories (for 1 cup of skim milk) to me, plus it adds more protein.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Also try blending it in a blender with ice if you're not already doing it. I also add vanilla extract and cinnamon to vanilla whey and its delicious!
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic suggestions! Gonna give almond milk a try and freeze some bananas as well! Thanks guys! :)
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You can always do as I do. I chug it down so quickly I don't even taste it. Lol.
  • Massivegains23
    Options
    Whey gold standard. Great protein source 24g per scoop only 1g of fat also just 120 calories per scoop as well. It mixes very well comes in tons of different flavors, whey too many to put on here. I'm sure you can find one that you would enjoy. Bonus: per container(depending which flavor) more or less than 74+ servings so you get a lot of bang for your buck.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same as some of the others, I just woman up and neck it down!
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Tried it today with unsweetened almond milk, so so so much better!
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also mix a spoonful of instant flavoured coffee with a little boiling water and then add that to the drink - I mix my unflavoured, unsweetened whey with a splash of cold water (I find it mixes better in water), top it up with the unsweetened almond milk and then add the coffee and some ice cubes. I actually enjoy it this whey (sorry) although it took some trial and error to get here. You can get the flavoured instant coffee in the bigger supermarket - I like the Beanies Irish Coffee flavour and the Douwe Egberts brand does a nice chocolate one. I don't add any sugar or sweetner, but I'm sure you could fine something appropriate if you need it.