Struggling to stay motivated

Options
Hi all, I'm really struggling to stop myself from snacking in the evening on high calorie snacks... Chocolate is my enemy, I'm doing low carb and low cal I eat q large meal in the evening and fill myself up but I cannot control myself... I'm weak!!!

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You are not weak, you have strongly established habits. It takes time to change habits.

I find it easier if snacks are not in the house. If it ain't there, I can't eat it. Of course it does not help when spouse is not on board and keeps bringing junk food into the house.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to reorganise how you eat so you've got plenty of spare calories in the evening to use. Or eat more at other times so you feel less hungry in the evening.
  • vickyarmstrong1
    Options
    My problem is the other half too - he eats complete rubbish and generally opens a bottle of wine too and I think - well one glass won't hurt. Any tips for resisting temptation?
  • nataliejenkins123
    nataliejenkins123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    You are not weak, you have strongly established habits. It takes time to change habits.

I find it easier if snacks are not in the house. If it ain't there, I can't eat it. Of course it does not help when spouse is not on board and keeps bringing junk food into the house.
    My hubby wants to cut out junk too!!! And I like to keep a few here for my daughter for weekend treat but I keep buying them my bad
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options
    Sounds like you need to reorganise how you eat so you've got plenty of spare calories in the evening to use. Or eat more at other times so you feel less hungry in the evening.
    Believe me more often than not I only eat 200 calories for lunch.. Porridge... And my evening meal is then around 400-500 tops so I'm left with 500 calories in the evening but once I start picking I cannot stop ... And 500 cals is not that much chocolate ha ha
    I really need to snap out of it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Believe me more often than not I only eat 200 calories for lunch.. Porridge... And my evening meal is then around 400-500 tops so I'm left with 500 calories in the evening but once I start picking I cannot stop ... And 500 cals is not that much chocolate ha ha

what do you want more, 1000 cals of chocolate or to lose weight?
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options
    My problem is the other half too - he eats complete rubbish and generally opens a bottle of wine too and I think - well one glass won't hurt. Any tips for resisting temptation?
    My hubby stuffing doesn't actually bother me when I'm in a 'strong' mind setting but I have a 5 yr old daughter a 6 month old son who doesn't sleep at night, I'm always tired and do work out 3 x a week but I feel I have no 'go ' in me :-( x
  • gamamunoz805
    gamamunoz805 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm really struggling to stop myself from snacking in the evening on high calorie snacks... Chocolate is my enemy, I'm doing low carb and low cal I eat q large meal in the evening and fill myself up but I cannot control myself... I'm weak!!!
    Just remember that dark chocolate is healthier for you but i'm sure you could find a really good healthy snack , It was kind of hard for me to find a healthy snack , but then I recall when I was in school I really enjoyed the baby carrots so I just snack on them all day there really really low in calories
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Let me get this right.

Low carb. Low calories. Baby. Are you eating enough food total in the first place? Do you have a specific reason to limit carbs? If not, why not try to just eat at a healthy deficit which may kill your cravings. Also, leave some calorie room so you can have a post dinner "treat" if that makes you happy.

This is supposed to be sustainable and if you're miserable it won't be.
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options

Eat the chocolate!!!!! Ha... In all honesty im 5ft 9 a size 10 and 10stone 3 (143lb)
    So I'm not really bothered about losing weight but I seriously need to lose fat from my body, so I do need to make the deficit to get rid of the fat... Ive not list much on the scales but I think I'm gaining what I would lose in muscle as I do weight training 3x a week

• nataliejenkins123
    Options
    Just remember that dark chocolate is healthier for you but i'm sure you could find a really good healthy snack , It was kind of hard for me to find a healthy snack , but then I recall when I was in school I really enjoyed the baby carrots so I just snack on them all day there really really low in calories
    Hi I suffer from an inner ear disorder and caffiene triggers vertigo so it's only white chocolate I can eat... I like dried cranberrys mind :-)
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options
    cardbucfan wrote: »
    Let me get this right.

Low carb. Low calories. Baby. Are you eating enough food total in the first place? Do you have a specific reason to limit carbs? If not, why not try to just eat at a healthy deficit which may kill your cravings. Also, leave some calorie room so you can have a post dinner "treat" if that makes you happy.

This is supposed to be sustainable and if you're miserable it won't be.
    I'm not overall happy either at the moment I think I have post natal depression and I don't sleep well due to my darling baby so I don't think that helps... We are going away in June and I'm very slim but carrying a lot of belly fat!!! I need gone :-(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Eat the chocolate!!!!! Ha... In all honesty im 5ft 9 a size 10 and 10stone 3 (143lb)
    So I'm not really bothered about losing weight but I seriously need to lose fat from my body, so I do need to make the deficit to get rid of the fat... Ive not list much on the scales but I think I'm gaining what I would lose in muscle as I do weight training 3x a week

you joke, but actually you need to decide what you want most.

if you're eating in a deficit you're not gaining muscle. i'd go with pictures/measurements not just scale weight though, given that you dont have much to lose.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    my dietician told me I was not eating enough carbohydrates and that was causing sugar cravings in the evening. I had been "cutting carbs" and I just went too low and it wasn't really helping anymore tbh. I re-added a single serving (measured) of a whole grain type carb to 2 or 3 of my meals each day. Breakfast carb=spelt bread or a whole grain tortilla; lunch and dinner carb=wheat berries, barley, soba noodles, rye pasta, brown rice, etc.

It has helped! I feel fuller and not dying for sweets or if I want a treat I can eat an apple or a single piece of dark chocolate and that's enough.
    Carbs also provide energy to fuel your day, if you feel tired a lot maybe some complex whole grains would help you?
  • Boe4Life
    Boe4Life Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great value (Walmart brand) 90 Calorie Chewy Granola Bars. Chocolate chunk. Loaded with chocolate but only 90 cals each. You could probably have like 2 or 3 if you budget for them. Or Rocky Road Brownies 190 cals each. Here is the web page.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/rocky_road_brownies.html
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options

you joke, but actually you need to decide what you want most.

if you're eating in a deficit you're not gaining muscle. i'd go with pictures/measurements not just scale weight though, given that you dont have much to lose.
    Yea ive noticed a difference in pictures but not on the scales
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options
    my dietician told me I was not eating enough carbohydrates and that was causing sugar cravings in the evening. I had been "cutting carbs" and I just went too low and it wasn't really helping anymore tbh. I re-added a single serving (measured) of a whole grain type carb to 2 or 3 of my meals each day. Breakfast carb=spelt bread or a whole grain tortilla; lunch and dinner carb=wheat berries, barley, soba noodles, rye pasta, brown rice, etc.

It has helped! I feel fuller and not dying for sweets or if I want a treat I can eat an apple or a single piece of dark chocolate and that's enough.
    Carbs also provide energy to fuel your day, if you feel tired a lot maybe some complex whole grains would help you?
    Good advice thanks, I'm never hungry in evenings just a craving!!!
    I'm also anemic but I eat around 100 g carbs a day at the moment :-)
  • nataliejenkins123
    Options
    Boe4Life wrote: »
    Great value (Walmart brand) 90 Calorie Chewy Granola Bars. Chocolate chunk. Loaded with chocolate but only 90 cals each. You could probably have like 2 or 3 if you budget for them. Or Rocky Road Brownies 190 cals each. Here is the web page.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/rocky_road_brownies.html
    Thank you!! Yes I have plenty of calories left its my carb allowance I run out of!! Thanks for ideas :smile: