Biggest eye opener from weighing food

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm the one weirdo in the world who always guesses I'm eating more than I am. Weighing taught me that my "full" servings of meat were more like half a serving.

On the upside, one ounce of cheese is quite a bit when you shred or thinly slice it!
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised that a 60 g serving of ice cream is still pretty generous.
  • briandap1
    briandap1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    My biggest shock was my weighed out avocado had half as many calories as the generic avocado I previously used to log. That was exciting!

Same here. I would just use MFP and estimate if it was a cup, half cup, or something around there. Though at work I don't have my scale with me, so I Googled if there was a calculation for figuring out how much flash was in an average avocado. Apparently 60-70% of an avocados weight is the flesh, so weight it before you leave home, take 70% of that (to be safe) and it's pretty accurate.

I weighed on last night pre- and post-cutting and it was 68%.
  • briandap1
    briandap1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Another food I had to do some research and testing on was steel cut oatmeal. Serving size is 1/4 cup dry, but how much is that wet? I make 2 cups of oatmeal with 8 cups of water in a crock pot every 8 days or so. It yields me 8 cups plus a little extra, so now I know 1/2 a cup is about 1 cup cooked. Before this I was only eating half a cup wet, not thinking about the water absorption.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    misheri90 wrote: »
    Cereal portions. I knew I ate more than the recommended portion but seeing 40g weighed out was depressing.

this. it is literally impossible for me to eat one serving of honey nut cheerios. lol
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    In general, grains and cereals turned out to weigh more per volume than I thought (I think part of the issue is that they compact easily in a measuring utensil like a cup so you inadvertently get more than they used in lab conditions to determine the portion).

Next was some fruit like apples, pears, large bananas.

Biggest shock in the end was nuts :(

On the flip side, berries especially blueberries, raspberries were a pleasant surprise.

But mostly, portions as a whole turned out to be a lot smaller than I imagined. Which shouldn't have surprised me, in retrospect, because weight gain :|
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cheese. That tiny piece is 200 calories??
    Chocolate... half a bite is 30 calories.
    Pasta, rice and bread too.

Veggies actually too. I always thought they were very low calories. Turns out you can't have that many carrots (IMO) for 50 calories. And a big bag of veggies is still 100 calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pasta and nuts.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised by chicken breast...3 oz is quite a lot. And I have to agree that when cheese is thinly sliced an ounce goes pretty far!
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    briandap1 wrote: »
    Another food I had to do some research and testing on was steel cut oatmeal. Serving size is 1/4 cup dry, but how much is that wet? I make 2 cups of oatmeal with 8 cups of water in a crock pot every 8 days or so. It yields me 8 cups plus a little extra, so now I know 1/2 a cup is about 1 cup cooked. Before this I was only eating half a cup wet, not thinking about the water absorption.

This is helpful for me to know! I just started eating steel cut oats for breakfast and made one cup of dry oats for the week and then wasn't sure how much wet I should eat. I've been portioning out 2 ounces wet.

It seems that might not be correct or enough. :frowning:
  • gongol07
    gongol07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter :( Even the "little" lick of the knife after I have weighed out a proper portion is probably about 100 calories.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Same as the avocado one, but with potatoes. They don't have a lot of calories per 100g, but the ones I used to buy and log as 1 medium were definitely not medium. Most of them were bigger than the "large" database entry too.

Cereal and ice cream were my big ones. I had been warned about peanut butter. Although I wasn't too happy about cashews either. Oh, and I used to get those frozen sweet potato fries and count out 12 pieces of whatever. The first time I weighed them I think that counting out the pieces made a difference of something like 30%.

Recently I weighed a coffee cake muffin that had 150 calories more than the label claimed.

WOW! This is very eye opening! I always relied on pre-packaged food to be pretty accurate. This is something all newbies should read. Guess who will be starting to religously weigh every food item from here on out!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Everything for me as well. When making dinner I used to just dole out however much I felt like (we have large plates as well). When I started weighing I realized how much I was eating. I now put all of mine on salad plates and all of my Loves on normal plates. Makes it look better!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of us by the thin slices of cheese. An oz. is an oz., but we perceive more pieces as more cheese. As for that piece of cheese on a burger, who needs it? That is one case where a small amount is calories dense, but it is easy for me to do without and don't really miss it.

It is good when we can trick ourselves to the better.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised by chicken breast...3 oz is quite a lot. And I have to agree that when cheese is thinly sliced an ounce goes pretty far!

I was SO SO happy with chicken, I put a heap of chicken on my scale the other day and was expecting it to be like, 8 oz, maybe even more, but it was like 5.9 oz. I underestimate most things, but apparently I don't have an eye for meat lol.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »
    One ounce of cheddar cheese is quite small.

Definitely cheese for me too.

And fruit. By weight, the fruit I'm eating apparently qualifies as " extra large" and "extra extra large" compared to the database.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Cream in my coffee!!
    At this point Ive gotten to 1% milk but the amount of calories I drank in coffee every day blew my mind. Once I reduced it I didn't even notice.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Pasta :/ This morning while packing lunch I discovered what 2 ounces of spaghetti actually looks like...practically heartbreaking -.-
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cream in my coffee as well! I've swapped out for almond milk. I get enough dairy fat in butter and cheese so don't mind swapping out the lower calorie stuff (and I really love the slightly sweet, nutty taste the almond milk gives coffee. I add 1/2 cup almond milk and nothing else. 30 calorie coffee!)

That said, cheese was an eye-opener... though when I use actual serving sizes, I find it's plenty!

Pasta was also an eye-opener, though I found I was actually eating less than I thought. Which was cool. Always weigh stuff you add water to dry and make sure you use the correct entry! Pasta, rice, oatmeal, etc.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    Pasta :/ This morning while packing lunch I discovered what 2 ounces of spaghetti actually looks like...practically heartbreaking -.-

When weighing pasta, mostly the weight goes by DRY pasta, like 2oz of dry pasta is a serving. Did you weigh it already cooked?