Hilarious "Dieting" idea from the past, does anyone remember this? Please share yours too.

Options

Replies

• RheaSilvia3
    RheaSilvia3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't even hate on Richard Simmons though. I was sweating to the oldies as a teenager. He at least tried to make it fun and I think his diet tips weren't too crazy.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Check out these old Weight Watchers recipe cards that go with that crazy plan posted above. My favorite is Fluffy Mackerel Pudding. Do read the commentary but not with a mouth full of water or if you have to pee. Lol

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

OMG! I'm crying!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I can't even hate on Richard Simmons though. I was sweating to the oldies as a teenager. He at least tried to make it fun and I think his diet tips weren't too crazy.

I agree...his colorful personality was fun...and I liked him. His deal a meal thing seemed sensible though I never used it.

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    We did the banana, egg and hot dog diet in college. Day 1 9 hot dogs-3 for each meal-no bun , no ketchup, just hot dogs. Day 2 9 eggs. Day 3 9 bananas. Day 4 we got snazzy and had 3 of each so a lovely meal of a hot dog, an egg and a banana. To this day I can't eat hot dogs or hard boiled eggs! (But we didn't give up beer so it didn't work!)
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom & grandma being obsessed with grapefruit in the late 70s. Grapefruit dieting was apparently a thing at the time.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Buttering coffee?

Yup, people are blending it up in their coffee. It's getting really popular as a diet, basically you have buttered coffee in the morning with no breakfast and then I'm sure you do something equally stupid for lunch. Bulletproof coffee is actually starting to open physical locations now.

It's a diet fad started by Homer Simpson:

“Oh, Marge, how could you let me let myself go like this?”
    “Me? I’m not the one who puts butter in your coffee.”
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    That. Is. Disgusting. I just read the buttered coffee thread. omg
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Isn't putting coconut oil (or any kind of oil) in your coffee the same as buttering it? You still end up with a grease slick floating on top.

Grapefruit diet- forgot about that! My mom and her friends all did that in the 70s, too.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    There was also "tapeworm pills." An urban legend, of course, but there are still people out there who believe Maria Callas swallowed tapeworm eggs to lose weight. The poor woman had enough grief from gold-digging Jackie Kennedy and limelight addicted Onassis to have to endure that, too! She just liked her steaks a little too rare...
  • fattofit_fritch26
    fattofit_fritch26 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I tried the Military Diet about a year ago (which has nothing to do with the actual military so idk where that came from)...3 days of the oddest food combinations and way too many hotdogs. :s
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Isn't putting coconut oil (or any kind of oil) in your coffee the same as buttering it? You still end up with a grease slick floating on top.

I tried coconut oil in my coffee one time. It was one of the foulest foodstuffs I have ever put in my mouth.

• dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Scarsdale Diet, dry toast and grapefruit for breakfast when you are in 8th grade really sucks. I'd love to be that 110lbs again. Not really sure why my mom thought I was fat then, I'm only 5'3".
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    As for more recent ones I saw claims that vitamin B shots will make you loose weight. Nuts. I rather be a rolly polly than let someone stick me with needles.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Right? I love me some Richard Simmons! Remember "Deal a Meal"? My mom had the deck of cards (kinda like WW "points" system), then the "Food Mover" to count food points. At least that system made sense, moderated portions, promoted sensible exercise without cutting out entire macros.

Me? I was a teenager/young adult in the 90's. I'm SOOO glad I didn't get on the "STOP the Insanity" bandwagon. The "fat free" witches I cooked for (I worked in a private cafeteria during my college years) drove me NUTS with the "fat free grilled cheese" and "egg white omelet, no oil on the grill" orders.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Bumping this... it's time. We have many new posters, trying many new diets. I'm bumping this for their comparison...
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, my mother was always trying in the 70's. The worst one was she claimed that Marilyn Monroe only ate grapes. With the skin removed. She would sit there trying to peel grapes for entire day and putting them on a skewer to try and grill. Of course they got stuck. I don't know if she ever managed to go on that "diet" because the food prep stage was utter chaos.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    glad none of my family ever had to go on a diet lol
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In the 80's my mother had a piece of paper hanging on the fridge with a diet. I forget the name, but it involved hotdogs and vanilla ice-cream. I think it promised a 5 or 10 pound loss in 10 days.