Biggest eye opener from weighing food

Options

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Cheese, nuts, and chocolate. But most of all BUTTER! I found that the amount of butter I would put on my toast to be at least a tablespoon for each slice (I love butter and like to see my teethmarks in it! :# ) Actually, most carby things I like; bread, toast, potatoes; were really just a vehicle for more butter. So, I seriously reduced them and weigh the butter I use now.

On the plus side, I was underestimating most meat and fish.
  • lauraloy2013
    lauraloy2013 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    JoRumbles wrote: »
    I still have the gluttonous amount of peanut butter- I just spread it on one slice of toast rather than attempting to get 20g to stretch to two slices.
    This is a great idea! Might try this with marmalade so I get the best of both worlds!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Creamer for my coffee is killing my caloric intake. I was weighing my pasta COOKED up until last week. For a whole year I did not eat spaghetti with my family. I refused after seeing what 2 oz was....only I was seeing it COOKED lol
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Apples and their high sugar content. Oh and chicken breasts. 6 oz is really not that big
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    briandap1 wrote: »
    Another food I had to do some research and testing on was steel cut oatmeal. Serving size is 1/4 cup dry, but how much is that wet? I make 2 cups of oatmeal with 8 cups of water in a crock pot every 8 days or so. It yields me 8 cups plus a little extra, so now I know 1/2 a cup is about 1 cup cooked. Before this I was only eating half a cup wet, not thinking about the water absorption.

This is helpful for me to know! I just started eating steel cut oats for breakfast and made one cup of dry oats for the week and then wasn't sure how much wet I should eat. I've been portioning out 2 ounces wet.

It seems that might not be correct or enough. :frowning:

Weigh it dry, then weigh it cooked, and you'll know how many servings you have cooked.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cheese, both shredded and a block. I could apparently stuff a whole lot of shredded cheese into a 1/3 cup container. And cereal. 28g is laughable as a serving. and to think of the amount of cheddar goldfish crackers I used to pop into my mouth, as if they were made of air. Once I started weighing, I realized they aren't worth it at all.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Potato chips were one of the biggest eye openers. And yes, I do weigh out 28g of chips because they can easily add and push me over my goals.

I haven't eaten cereal much since childhood so I can't relate on that one. I was pleasantly surprised at peanut butter though. 1 serving is huge and about twice what I would ever use on a sandwich. Though I use 1 serving now just to get more protein.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    the 4 cups of popcorn that I thought I was serving myself turned out to be more like 6
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Most of my foods have been surprising. I still need to get the hang of measuring dry pasta for cooking, rice as well. We use a lot of rice around my house, but I will measure out a small portion once it is cooked for myself. The skin on a banana was surprising.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Cereal. 3/4 cups (which is the serving size for most cereals) is practically nothing. It's really sad.

next time you are watching TV and see a Special K commercial, look at how much is in one of those bowls! No way that is only one serving!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Cereal. 3/4 cups (which is the serving size for most cereals) is practically nothing. It's really sad.

next time you are watching TV and see a Special K commercial, look at how much is in one of those bowls! No way that is only one serving!

right? lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    A slightly different issue, but lately I have been realizing that commercial canned foods often do not contain what they say on the label. Measuring and weighing are showing that a lot of cans contain much less than they say they do.

Thank goodness most of the canned foods that I eat are HOME canned.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How big a serving 2 oz of pasta is. It's quite a bit.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The pasta was a pleasant surprise to me too - I started weighing servings dry then weighing the cooked lot and calculating a serving from there. My pasta with clam sauce (calculated out in the "recipes" tab) turn out to be an OK dinner calorie-wise, and weighing out the freshly grated cheese has been a cool surprise, too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A slightly different issue, but lately I have been realizing that commercial canned foods often do not contain what they say on the label. Measuring and weighing are showing that a lot of cans contain much less than they say they do.

Thank goodness most of the canned foods that I eat are HOME canned.

Most of mine are HOME canned too, but being a HOME canner I fully understand how all cans will not weigh the same.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Eggs surprised me. For years I used the 1 large = 50g assumption, without thinking about it actually being an average. I started weighing the eggs after I cracked them into a bowl when I changed how I was cooking them, and realized a lot of times, they'll all be over or all be under. If I'm making something with 3 eggs, it'll sometimes work out that I'm short or over by "half" an egg.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Everything for me. We have oversized dinner plates and correct portions look tiny. :smiley:

I saw a headline about a study which had found that people who are overweight underestimate what they're eating for more than people of a healthy weight (not surprising but looked like an interesting read). Can't find it anywhere now!

I use my salad plate for meals. It let's me feel like I get a full meal.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    My biggest eyeopener:
    EVERYTHING HAS SALT
    drowning_in_debt_salt_pepper_shakers_sebastian_errazuriz_8b-thumb-468x702-44728.jpg
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    kandell wrote: »
    Pasta :/ This morning while packing lunch I discovered what 2 ounces of spaghetti actually looks like...practically heartbreaking -.-

When weighing pasta, mostly the weight goes by DRY pasta, like 2oz of dry pasta is a serving. Did you weigh it already cooked?

Yes, pasta, dry looks so little but cook it and it looks like a WHOLE lot to me. (Just made Chicken Cacciatore with Farfella last night and it was soooooo good!)
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    My biggest eyeopener:
    EVERYTHING HAS SALT

TOO TRUE.

Mine have already been mentioned.
    Fruit/veggies are more calories than I thought. One measured tablespoon of peanut butter is larger than I thought (but then the catch is that I can't keep dipping in "for a teeny tiny bit more"). Meat...what I thought was "3 oz" of a meat was more like 1ish... WOAH.