Calories burnt vs. calories eaten

Options
I eat approx. 1800 calories a day but walk up to 10 km a day & by fitbit burn approx 2000 calories any input on if this is ok would be appreciated

Replies

• ChrisShew
    ChrisShew Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also do about 35-40 flights of stairs a day
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    So you're only taking in 1,800 calories and by walking you're burning 2,000, so you have -200 calories for your body to carry on normal function?
  • aburkhart2
    aburkhart2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    not sure ab this either! its a great Q and would love to see some imput on this. I am taking in myself about 2100 average calories a day and after eating and working out a the gym for 2-3 hours a day and then another 2 hours at home each day, after all calories are countied I am only around 750-850 calories. I do stairs each day at the gym but only for 10 minutes at a time.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ChrisShew wrote: »
    I eat approx. 1800 calories a day but walk up to 10 km a day & by fitbit burn approx 2000 calories any input on if this is ok would be appreciated
    Walking 10k will not burn 2000 calories. I weigh 222 lbs and I run this or more each morning. I get about a 1000 calorie burn for running 10k. There's no way you're getting 2000 off that unless you weigh over 300 pounds.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    aburkhart2 wrote: »
    not sure ab this either! its a great Q and would love to see some imput on this. I am taking in myself about 2100 average calories a day and after eating and working out a the gym for 2-3 hours a day and then another 2 hours at home each day, after all calories are countied I am only around 750-850 calories. I do stairs each day at the gym but only for 10 minutes at a time.

Your NET calories are what's important. What does it take for you to stay the exact same weight? Use MFP's suggestions or use another calculator like this one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

My maintenance calorie demand is around 2500 per day. If I exercise and burn 500 calories then I need to eat 3000 calories to stay the same weight because 2500 + 500 = 3000. If I did not eat the extra calories my NET calories would be 2000 and I would start losing weight. Does this make sense? I hope it does. That's the basic rule for losing weight.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Perhaps the FitBit is saying you need to eat a total of 2000 calories? I don't own one so I don't know how that works. I assumed they were telling you your burn off of walking but perhaps it's an estimate of your demand for the day. Did you tell it you want to lose weight? Perhaps you're supposed to eat 1500 a day which would be a 500 calorie deficit per day. That's a good starting point if that's true.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Your body uses calories 24/7. Calories used if you stayed in bed all day would be your BMR (basal metabolic rate). The point of this, your body needs calories to function (heart, lungs, kidneys). By eating at a deficit your body will use existing fat stores....but that's only part of the picture, it's only part of the fuel your body needs.

With large calorie deficits your body will break down existing lean muscle for fuel. This is why moderately paced weight loss is healthy weight loss. Eat at a weight loss for your level and eat "part" of your exercise calories back. Part because calorie burn estimates can be very generous.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Wait...your total daily burn from Fitbit is 2000 calories? Or you burn 2000 calories walking 10km?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Fitbit will show you your TDEE, not your calories burned from just walking. If it says you've burnt 2000, that figure includes your BMR.

If you eat 1800 calories, you have a 200 calorie deficit for the day.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Perhaps the FitBit is saying you need to eat a total of 2000 calories? I don't own one so I don't know how that works. I assumed they were telling you your burn off of walking but perhaps it's an estimate of your demand for the day. Did you tell it you want to lose weight? Perhaps you're supposed to eat 1500 a day which would be a 500 calorie deficit per day. That's a good starting point if that's true.

yes, I think this is likely.
    Did you enter into fitbit that you are trying to lose weight ?
    If so (and let's say 1lb per week) then fitbit will be suggesting that you eat 500 cals less than what you burn.

so if you are burning 2500 per day, then fitbit would suggest that you eat 2000 cals to allow for weight loss. Perhaps that is where the '2000' is coming from ? I don't think 2000 is the burn for just your walk. Nor do I think its the burn for your total day if you are walking that far.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    there's no way you're burning 2000 calories by walking 10km.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you have your Fitbit linked to MFP? Do you consistently log your meals into MFP?

I am asking this for a couple of reasons: 1) The Fitbit calories burned that you see are the total calories burned during the calendar day...that includes all daily activity, even sleep; and 2) if your Fitbit and MFP are linked and you also log all of your food eaten into MFP, then it is my understanding that you should be able to use the calories burned calculated by MFP as your guide.
  • ChrisShew
    Options
    Ok i see how it works ty all i was given fitbit from friend who no longer used it so no instructions the replies make it more understandable
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ok i see how it works ty all i was given fitbit from friend who no longer used it so no instructions the replies make it more understandable
    :)
    Enjoy your Fitbit!

• ChrisShew
    Options
    I have fitbit & MFP linked but only log food on MFP as per instructions on linking
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Wait...your total daily burn from Fitbit is 2000 calories? Or you burn 2000 calories walking 10km?

I think this is the issue...people associate "burn" with physically going and doing exercise or whatever and forget that they just "burn" calories 24/7.
  • ChrisShew
    Options
    I am new to weight loss, fitbit,& MFP so just trying to get a understanding ! I was reading fitbit wrong apparently hence me asking on here:)
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    On its own, fitbit provides an estimate of your total calories burned in a day.

When syncing fitbit with MFP, there are a number of different options depending on how you want to use it. I suggest you check the fitbit users group here on MFP for more details.

Also make sure that you have put your details into the fitbit account (age/height/weight/weight loss target) as the estimate fitbit provides is based on all these things, as well as on your activity level. (you wear it all day - not just for exercise)

I have a fitbit and it has been a really important part of my weight loss. Good Luck with it !
  • ChrisShew
    Options
    Ty yes i entered all my info & wear it as long as im awake:) im really liking both apps