When did you....

Options
People tell me all the time, "Once I started exercising, it became addicting and now I can't go a day without getting out there and being active. If I miss a day I am grumpy and feel terrible."

When (if you did) did you start feeling this way?

I'm 9 weeks into my journey and I have to seriously motivate myself to get up and workout. I'm wondering when the endorphins kick in and I'm "hooked"?

For those of you that do not enjoy exercise, how do you motivate yourself and push yourself harder?

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months to feel like I was properly into working out. It came after I noticed a big change in my appearance after looking in the mirror. I looked better than I did before so that motivated me to keep going.

Still have a long way to go.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great question! can't wait to read some of the responses. I think I got close once.. with PiYo last summer. Had a 3 month run of working out 5-6 times a week, was happy, feeling great, losing weight.. and I THINK I might have felt something close to what you're describing. Then Back to school hit, and I had two kids needing to do homework every day and my after work hours just evaporated. and I am NOT a morning person at all- getting up to get it in early is totally not gonna happen. So here I am, back again- jumping back on.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym when I was 21. I am now 30 & I'd say it was only about 3 years ago that I really started to go regularly and enjoy it. I workout at least 3 times a week and if I do miss a week my body starts to ache. The biggest change was that I started working with a trainer who helped give me some (non-weight loss) goals. Working out just to lose weight has NEVER worked for me. I need something else to work toward.

Maybe you need to try a different type of workout? Or just need a different goal? (lift xx amount of weight, or run a 5/10 k?)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    lauraldrum wrote: »
    People tell me all the time, "Once I started exercising, it became addicting and now I can't go a day without getting out there and being active. If I miss a day I am grumpy and feel terrible."

I'm 9 weeks into my journey and I have to seriously motivate myself to get up and workout. I'm wondering when the endorphins kick in and I'm "hooked"?

For those of you that do not enjoy exercise, how do you motivate yourself and push yourself harder?

For me its always a battle (35 years) but I do go 5-6 times weekly and love the way I feel when I am done at the gym.

• gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You know, I think that's why I like PiYo.. after the first time doing a specific set, I had a goal of doing it better, stronger, etc the next time through, or being able to hold the pose without balance help, things like that. I found zumba class was fun- and still enjoy it, but I didn't have any goals with it besides weight loss.
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've seen PiYo advertised before but don't know much about it. When I was going to the gym I was really into Turbo-Kick. I like dancing so that element helped with the workouts. I'll have to check it out.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I took me almost nine years. yes... NINE YEARS. I joined my first gym in December of 2001. I went regularly for a year-ish. Then I quit. Then I started again. Then I quit. Then I started. Each time I quit, it was for less time. And each time I started, I kept at it a little longer.

When I started, I used the elliptical. At some point, I switched to the treadmill. I don't remember when or why. I think partly b/c I had never felt like I could run and I wanted to prove I could? In April of 2010, I ran my first 5k. It was just an awesome experience from me. That is when my exercise started having a purpose = to improve my running times.

Now, instead of exercising to lose weight, I want to lose weight to improve my running. And even if I never lost another pound, I cannot imagine my life without running.
  • lauraldrum
    Options
    Wow thank you, @scraver2003 - What I'm gathering so far from you folks is that having a purpose other than weight-loss seems to be key.

I go walking a few times a week and I've NEVER been able to run (well I could jog a little in PE when I was in high school) but I've been running for 15-30 second intervals. That's all I can do before feeling like I'm going to die. Each time I try and do a few more intervals. That motivates me a tiny bit, but not a ton.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    honestly some people never love it.

It's just a box they check.

I encourage you to find something fitness related wtih goals- like- do a pull up- start lifting weights and hit X, Y and Z numbers.

People get discouraged or unmotivated because they don't' have long term goals. having goals keeps you focused- success breeds more motivation- and it's a self serving repeating cycle.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly when, but I agree with the PP about setting a goal. If I don't have a goal and see measurable progress toward it (i.e. run farther and/or faster than last time, able to jump higher with my horse, etc.) then exercise seems pointless drudgery to me. I also agree that it was probably about 3 mos of consistent working out that I started to feel bad if I missed a workout, but I still backslide sometimes. At least for me it isn't a magical thing where life never gets in the way and I don't ever just sit on the couch/go to the movies/go out to dinner/play with my kids rather than workout. But I have reached a point where missing the feeling from working out plus the guilt of not progressing toward my goals will outweigh the desire to skip it most of the time.
  • crystalnichols395
    crystalnichols395 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have heard that for the 2 months I have been on MFP but I just recently joined a gym on Saturday and already 2 days in and i'm hooked.
  • mperrott2205
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude but from the looks of your diary, your only method of working out is walking. I couldn't think of anything more dull.

Perhaps you should try lifting? Great release of endorphins from that.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

About seven months into it when I started hitting the gym twice a day, seven days a week. Bit more careful now, in there four times a week as part of a plan. But always feel a bit bad on rest days as I panic a tad bit that if I'm not exercising, I'm going backward. Which isn't the case at all, but my addiction is half rooted in dedication and half in panic.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes! Having a purpose other than weight has been important - at least for me. Find your love! The nice thing now is that so many people are getting into fitness and there are more options available. There are untimed fun 5k's (like the color and electric run), obstacle course/mud runs, bike races (some timed or untimed), swim races, etc. On meetup.com, I have found hiking groups and fitness groups. There is Zumba and yoga and so many other classes. Roller blading, ice skating, gardening, softball teams...

Try one - if you don't like it, try another.
  • lauraldrum
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound rude but from the looks of your diary, your only method of working out is walking. I couldn't think of anything more dull.

I use my fitbit to log my workouts. I'm doing:

- Walking
    - Strength Training Videos with weights
    - T25 with my girlfriends 2x a week
    - Jillian Michael's 30day shred videos
    - Country Line Dancing lessons (2 hours) 2x a month

• mperrott2205
    Options

- Walking

Wow, I'd be exhausted if I were doing all of that! Perhaps you should try sticking to walking and then one or two of the other things that you enjoy the most?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever felt that way about exercise; however, my daughter and I have been going line dancing once a week for two years now. I go crazy if I miss a week. If a song comes on that we know a dance to, we'll dance, no matter where we are. I've danced in stores, in the kitchen at work, in the middle of the Midway at work. I stay motivated to workout because it makes me a better dancer.
  • KyleeNicolle
    KyleeNicolle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After my first week of making it a part of my routine it was just a part of my day, every day. I feel incomplete if I miss a day. I think it was quicker for me because I swear I have OCD regarding routine and structure lol but it's nice because every morning at 415am I'm ready to go!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't think everyone gets to that point that you are talking about. I exercise regularly and have for a while. I enjoy exercise and I feel a lot better when I do it. However, laziness is still my default setting. When I skip exercise, I don't get an anxious feeling that some people seem to get. I took a whole week off last week and was perfectly fine with it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

- Walking

less cardio- more lifting- narrow down your focus and your goals.