Parents of autistic/special needs kids

Options
Looking to friend more parents!
I have four kids, one is on the more severe end of the autism spectrum.
It's hard to take care of myself when I am taking care of this crew!
Anybody feel me??

Replies

• cheyanna0722
    cheyanna0722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have two children. My eight year old son is autistic. It is impossible to take good care of your children until you take good care of you. This is a hard lesson i am just learning. It has really helped us taking walks together. It helps me get in some much needed exercise and it is helping him with his low muscle tone. And it gets out a lot of his excessive energy and calms him down quite a bit. Hope this helps!
  • JoMamaATL
    JoMamaATL Posts: 70
    Options
    My son is 7! And, has no muscle tone! I totally get you!!!!!
    Walk. Genius.
    I have shied away from walks bc he is a wanderer/runner. But, my youngest is old enough now to walk himself so I don't need to use the stroller with him. OMG, I think you just changed my life.
  • JoMamaATL
    Options
    JoMamaATL wrote: »
    My son is 7! And, has no muscle tone! I totally get you!!!!!
    Walk. Genius.
    I have shied away from walks bc he is a wanderer/runner. But, my youngest is old enough now to walk himself so I don't need to use the stroller with him. OMG, I think you just changed my life.

I meant low muscle tone, but hey...no muscle tone may be accurate, too!
  • literique
    literique Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am an ABA Therapist, I do in home therapy with children on the spectrum. If your kids get any sercives, you could workout while they are in therapy if you are not needed. Or even a few laps around the building if they attend outside therapies. Sometimes I work very long hours & don't get time to exercise... then I remind myself running around after kids all day is a workout. :) Tag, monkey in the middle, walks to the park, pushing the swing... all better than nothing. :)
  • JoMamaATL
    Options
    Amen!!! Thanks for choosing such an awesome career path! Autistic parents of the world Thank You!
  • literique
    literique Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you.... :)
  • zenlinz
    zenlinz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I have three kids and they all have Autism. My 6 year old has low muscle tone too. The past few years I have spent every ounce of energy I have taking care of them and forgot how to take care of myself. I'm loving MFP- it's got me on track and motivated to really lose the weight.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yep, my 8 year old son has Aspergers with the most horrendous meltdowns, makes me want to pull my hair out, scream, and eat chocolate lol
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have two boys that's have autism. They are 4 and 6. They are definitely a hand full. I sometimes get so stressed out because of them.I'm an emotional eater. I have about 60 pounds to lose
  • needstobefit15
    needstobefit15 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have two boys that's have autism. They are 4 and 6. They are definitely a hand full.I have been so busy taking care of them that I forgot to take care of myself.now I'm having health problems of my own. I sometimes get so stressed out because of them.I'm an emotional eater.
  • Browncoat_McNac
    Browncoat_McNac Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mom of a 9 year old with autism here. The first 5 years were absolute HELL. The last few have been amazing as we finally found a wonderful teacher and therapies that really truly work for him. Thankfully he has grown out of the wandering/running away phase but for a while we had to put doorknob guards on his bedroom door at night to keep him from taking off while we were sleeping.. It really does get better. You just have to remember to breathe.. a bad day doesn't equal a bad life.
  • genellegreenwald1
    Options
    I have an 8 year old son with autism who is on the lower end of the spectrum. I totally understand - the last few years have being very hard and my weight gain over the last year has just made things worst. I have never being more stressed and the more stressed I am the more I eat :(
  • chellefitforlife
    chellefitforlife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have 4 boys, 3 with a selection of asd, adhd & pda. I joined tonight as I need to look after myself after piling on weight over the last 5 years. I had a really scary episode of palpitations yesterday which made me realise my boys need a healthy mum. Now the juggling game begins :-/
  • JoMamaATL
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I just saw these replies!!!!
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys, the youngest being 8 and has ASD. I find it hard work trying to be referee as the eldest doesn't always understand what his younger brother is doing. Sometimes i feel like he is jealous as i spend a lot of my time with the youngest. However, I've taken the plunge these past few weeks. My ASD son has made a friend and he only lives around the corner. I've allowed him to go out and play at his house or at the playground across the road. It's been a nervous transition as I'm not sure he is able to understand everything going on and can't keep himself totally safe but the fact that he wants to play is amazing! It means i can do a quick work out DVD or something.
    The times he had said the other kids on the playground were being mean, I've managed to talk to them and raise awareness of my son's condition. They now look out for him but my son is still quite reluctant to interact with them because of his past experiences.
  • Tarajoy2011
    Tarajoy2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    JoMamaATL wrote: »
    Amen!!! Thanks for choosing such an awesome career path! Autistic parents of the world Thank You!

Ditto!
  • Tarajoy2011
    Tarajoy2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys, the youngest being 8 and has ASD. I find it hard work trying to be referee as the eldest doesn't always understand what his younger brother is doing. Sometimes i feel like he is jealous as i spend a lot of my time with the youngest. However, I've taken the plunge these past few weeks. My ASD son has made a friend and he only lives around the corner. I've allowed him to go out and play at his house or at the playground across the road. It's been a nervous transition as I'm not sure he is able to understand everything going on and can't keep himself totally safe but the fact that he wants to play is amazing! It means i can do a quick work out DVD or something.
    The times he had said the other kids on the playground were being mean, I've managed to talk to them and raise awareness of my son's condition. They now look out for him but my son is still quite reluctant to interact with them because of his past experiences.
    Congratulations on making that leap of faith. It's really hard for my son to make friends. It doesn't help that I get very anxious when he is out of my sight. My boy is 15, ASD, moderate.
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids, 2 asd and little one is starting to show some delays. Feel free to add me. Between schools, IBI, the baby and whatever is left to running a home and family I AM TIRED! Exercise time is my only me time, and I'm finding comfort in planning my food (control and balance) when life seems so out of my control sometimes.
  • JoMamaATL
    Options
    I feel y'all! It's not easy. There is no book telling us what to do because while all the kids are on the spectrum, they are each as different as snowflakes! I always say when you meet one kid with autism...you know one kid with autism. It is all improv, trial and error, and lots and lots of faith.
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on making that leap of faith. It's really hard for my son to make friends. It doesn't help that I get very anxious when he is out of my sight. My boy is 15, ASD, moderate.

It has been a massive leap of faith and I've been incredibly anxious! Thankfully he goes to school with his friend and I'm friendly with the parents so they let me know if he's having difficulties.