Thinking about getting a Personal Trainer

I've been trying to lose 70 lbs for a while now. I started off by watching my food... And failing... To stick with healthier options, so when that didn't work, I tried to go to the gym during my lunches. I haven't been seeing weight loss, but I feel better after I do my workout. I was thinking about getting a personal trainer to help me get the most out of my work out a, but I don't know if it is going to be worth it. I have always struggled with eating and I know that is going to take a while to change. So, my main question is, should I get a personal trainer to help with my workout even though I know my eating habits won't be completely changeable?

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    nah, dont waste your money. When you ready to change your eating habit and lose weight and are actually losing and see weight loss then maybe get one but not now. I wont help you in any way.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    All the workouts in the world won't help you if you're not eating at a deficit. Fix that first.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    The previous posters are definitely right, but my weight loss started (accidentally) with exercise. I had insomnia and after being on every prescription sleeping pill under the sun for 10+ years, my doctor cut me off and "prescribed" me 5 days a week of exercise for 30 minutes. Anything I wanted. But I had to promise her that I would do it. After about 2 weeks I could sleep, but I felt like DEATH during my workouts because I was eating too much and poorly. Note: a large burrito before a workout will make the workout suck. So in order to make my workouts more enjoyable (so that I could continue sleeping like a normal person), I started eating around 1600-1800 calories a day of good, healthy food. I was overweight at the time but it wasn't even a concern as sleeping normally was priority, but I lost about 35lbs in the process and have maintained that for what will be 3 years next week.

The point of my story is that if you think getting a personal trainer will help keep you accountable (force you to go to the gym and work out), then you will have no choice but to eat better because your workouts will suck if you don't fuel properly. Then you'll lose the weight. Know what I mean?
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    All the workouts in the world won't help you if you're not eating at a deficit. Fix that first.

Because it needs to be repeated.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I would wait. The early stages of weight loss are easy, and you can figure it out yourself. It's later when plateaus and those last few stubborn pounds are left that a trainer earns his money.

But the diet is all you. You gotta do that.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Why pay money to a personal trainer when you haven’t gotten your food choices and volumes right? Instead, hire a nutritionist.

Exercise is for other health and fitness goals. Yes, there is a calorie burn, but that’s cost for the work and you’ll have to fuel that work to get results.

If fat loss is your goal, start with a commitment, then work on the food.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    You would be better off paying someone to steal food from your fridge
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    After working in a gym for 10+ years, I'll say this. They do try to get every dime they can from you BUT it is also useful to learn the correct techniques. If you are doing something wrong it might not be worth it or even cause an injury.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Everyone is right...you need to fix your eating first...however...

I think a personal trainer could be helpful. When I first started working out, I had no idea how to do a lot of the exercises...didn't know how to do them properly...had bad form.

I hired a personal trainer for a few weeks and he helped me tremendously. He showed me how to get the most out of my workout...and helped me learn what kind of workouts work best for me. Most of all, he gave me the confidence to know that what I was doing was good and motivated me to keep going.

Yea, it costs a little bit of money but if you have it, I think a personal trainer could be very helpful to someone who wants a little guidance.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    is your goal to lose 70 lbs? the gym wont help, much. you gotta change your diet.

But if your goal is to get physical stronger and healthier... yes go to the gym! Screw anyone that says you have to be thin to be physically fit. According to the BMI i might be 70 lbs over a "healthy" weight. I work out weight training 4 days a week, competitive power lifting, and i used to jog in 5K's before i hurt my knee. I am physically fit, solid, strong and healthy and love my body. I say get a trainer and learn good exercise habits and have fun getting your body in shape. And then cut your calories back whenever you are ready to commit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I love my PT

I was a chronically lazy, overweight bugger 9 months ago

I now pay a bloke to put me through the mill and I bloody love it

MFP and eating to a calorie defecit helped me lose 50lbs but seeing my PT, initially twice a week and now once a week has helped me get strong and given me a totally new lease of life ...I go to the gym 3 x a week and walk 3-5 miles every other day.

It's like buying in willpower...which keeps me going to the gym and moving more

Works for me :grinning:
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    I have to agree with everyone else. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. If you won't eat properly, there is really no point.

That said, lifting is awesome, and learning lifting is awesome, and I hired a trainer to teach me Stronglifts 5x5 technique and it was worth every penny. So I do like PTs in general.

But first you have to commit and want it bad enough.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Well, you can't exercise away a bad diet. Your eating habits ARE CHANGEABLE. By stating they are not, you are setting yourself to fail. If you have food issues, maybe a therapist to help you identify the reasons you have a bad "relationship" with food is your first start. Or, a dietitian/nutritionist - a good one. A PT is not a quick fix. You still have to do the work, in and out of the gym. However, I love my personal trainer and highly recommend investing the money in a good one...once you are ready to make permanent changes in your life. I also find that the stronger I feel, the more motivated I am to stick to my food and fitness goals. I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for but I hope you find your inner strength to battle your food issues.