Weigh everything

Options
lizzocat
lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Just got a reminder about how important it is to weigh your food. Once a week when I don't bring lunch, I'll get a sandwich or wrap from Pret A Manger. I've been getting the Louisiana Crawfish Flatbread (which is delicious by the way) and it's usually between 40 and 50 grams bigger than it states on their website, which isn't horrible (about 20% bigger which we know is the usual discrepancy) . Today when I weighed my flatbread - it was over 100 grams heavier, over 200 calories more than I thought! I can still work it into my day, but it's good to know, and a good reminder, weigh everything even when it's prepackaged or from a place with calories stated.

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Good reminder. :)
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    How do you carry a scale around?
  • lizzocat
    Options
    I happen to have one at work that we use for mailing (of course this doesn't apply if you don't have one at work :\ ) But actually, I've seen some really good pocket scales that are tiny and weigh items up to 500 grams.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was logging "Large Gala Apples" from the MFP database for the longest. 80cal each. When I finally weighed the large gala apples I've been buying, turns out they're all within the 125-135 calorie range. Smh!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I was logging "Large Gala Apples" from the MFP database for the longest. 80cal each. When I finally weighed the large gala apples I've been buying, turns out they're all within the 125-135 calorie range. Smh!

Fruit was one of the biggest eye-openers for me when I began weighing my food. I was often eating 1/3 to 1/2 more calories than I thought I was.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This is why till I can buy a scale I try to leave a margin of extra calories, just in case...It'sfrustrating to see the difference between the actual thing and the, let's say, measuring cup. I hope I can get one in April.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask if that was with or without the core but it would have had to have been one big azz core to make up the difference. ;)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    cute video is a reminder on sloppy guessing. Also I found a GREAT tool..it is a coffee scoop at exactly 2 tbl. I use it to measure cream or other foods since most are shown as 2tbl a serving (PB, oils, etc)…great for not having to use a 1 tablespoon measure 2 x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah that sucks because typically when you buy those things you don't have a scale available. That's why I avoid eating out...
  • lizzocat
    Options
    pili90 wrote: »
    This is why till I can buy a scale I try to leave a margin of extra calories, just in case...It'sfrustrating to see the difference between the actual thing and the, let's say, measuring cup. I hope I can get one in April.

Whenever I don't have a scale available, I usually estimate up 20%, I've actually found that to be a good average. Today's sandwich was just wayyy off.
  • lizzocat
    Options

Yes! Apples were an eye opener for me, the calorie and carb discrepancy was huge
  • lizzocat
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah that sucks because typically when you buy those things you don't have a scale available. That's why I avoid eating out...

That's true- usually I estimate up 20% when I have no scale available, it's somewhat close then. Today was a bummer (although actually, not really because the flatbread is delicious so getting more of it was welcome lol )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

That's true- usually I estimate up 20% when I have no scale available, it's somewhat close then. Today was a bummer (although actually, not really because the flatbread is delicious so getting more of it was welcome lol )

I should start doing that, but I guess I don't eat out that much and when I do I always have to guess already anyway...

But I never trust packages either. I love Graze snacks, for example, but I just started weighing them and so far they were always 20-50 calories over what the box said... it adds up...