What do you eat all day when you need to save calories for dinner?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I made reservations for a Moroccan restaurant for my birthday... but it falls on a Friday so the only thing they do is a 8 course menu... not that I'm complaining really as it's just a few more $$ and I wanted to try everything anyway... but obviously I'm going to have to save calories for it.

So... what do you eat that is filling but low calories when you need to save calories for dinner? It should be that time of the month when I'm not very hungry at least, so that's a bonus. There's no doubt I'll go over, and it's really not a huge deal, but I'd rather minimize the damage I guess.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I find soup pretty filling. Something broth based with beans to up the fiber.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Lean protein and veggies! Huge egg white omelette for breakfast. Big salad with grilled chicken and balsamic vinegar for lunch. Small apples or carrot sticks for snacks. I keep the fat low since most restaurant meals are high fat. Not somebtiwng I can sustain normally but I make sure to eat enough to be full but all low-calorie stuff! Enjoy :-)
  • caitlynchristensen
    caitlynchristensen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking the egg creations egg white mix in tex mex flavor or garden vegetable. Only 60 calories for half a cup and it makes a big omlette or scrambled eggs. I eat big spinach lettuce and Greek salads and i find if i use some light feta and all the juices of the tomatoes and veggies are good enough and don't need dressing. Hope this helps for a couple ideas anyway. Good luck
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    100 calorie protein shakes and nonstarchy vegetables.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and greek yogurt.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles...I KNOOOW, super unhealthy, BUT it is so yummy and has 380 cal. per pack. I eat it for lunch a lot :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I found that drinking black coffee tends to curb my appetite. Could you also do some exercise that day and build in some extra calories for more "normal" meals during that day (or cutting your calories each day by 100 so that you have 500-700 calories in reserve)?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! As before mentioned egg whites, non fat Plain Greek yogurt and drink lots of water and have greens with parsley...that'll help balance out the high sodium in a restaurant meal. Enjoy!
  • my3boys424
    my3boys424 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Happy Bday! If I know I'm going to eat a big meal out, I tend to save all week for it (100-200 calories/day). I base my calories more weekly than daily. Eggs make a great filling meal for not a lot of calories. I usually do scrambles with meats and veggies. Also, exercise for some extra calories. Enjoy!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bring dollars and tip your dancer!!!!

and have a good time.

I tend to have like chicken soup- or just my greek yogurt and honestly- when I know I have a big meal- I just don't eat that much and I go hungry. Seriously- have enough to get you through the day- but don't worry about being full- you'll be full later. And or a little extra cardio.

Just don't get worked up about going over- or starving yourself over it. Gotta keep it practical.
  • Francl27
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I found that drinking black coffee tends to curb my appetite. Could you also do some exercise that day and build in some extra calories for more "normal" meals during that day (or cutting your calories each day by 100 so that you have 500-700 calories in reserve)?

It's not a big deal. I've been eating at a deficit, I only have 2 pounds to lose, if I end up eating at maintenance for the week it's totally fine.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I made reservations for a Moroccan restaurant for my birthday... but it falls on a Friday so the only thing they do is a 8 course menu... not that I'm complaining really as it's just a few more $$ and I wanted to try everything anyway... but obviously I'm going to have to save calories for it.

So... what do you eat that is filling but low calories when you need to save calories for dinner? It should be that time of the month when I'm not very hungry at least, so that's a bonus. There's no doubt I'll go over, and it's really not a huge deal, but I'd rather minimize the damage I guess.

Happy Birthday!

You going to Marrakesh in Philly? THAT PLACE IS AWESOME!!!!! So tasty. If this is where you are going and you haven't been before, it is extremely small and cozy, so you may want to do presents at another place =)

To curb my appetite, I eat more veg or I drink a lot of tea.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm more likely to exercise to 'earn' additional calories than to save up the calories I have.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Happy birthday! Pretty much everyone said what I had to say. Sometimes I'll have yogurt and pb, soup, some oatmeal.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    1. 2 eggs on toast.

2. Salad with 1 small can of tuna

3. 1/2 cup cottage cheese, with 2 ryvitas and 1 low fat 175g yoghurt.

4. 200g white, un-crumbed fish with salad (lettuce, tomato, peppers and cucumber.)

5. 100g skinless boneless chicken breast, shredded and mixed with 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce, with 250g vegetables on the side.

6. Oats/high-fibre cereal mixed with half a scoop protein powder, and 200ml water. (Or almond milk if you don't like the taste of protein powder made with water.)

These are all 250 calorie meals or less, depending on the brands you choose.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Extra exercise, eating salads, drinking lots of water.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    When I'm planning to have a splurge meal at a restaurant, I only eat one other meal, which is usually a serving of shredded wheat with skim milk. And I make sure I exercise that day.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Happy Birthday!

You going to Marrakesh in Philly? THAT PLACE IS AWESOME!!!!! So tasty. If this is where you are going and you haven't been before, it is extremely small and cozy, so you may want to do presents at another place =)

To curb my appetite, I eat more veg or I drink a lot of tea.

Cassablanca actually... somewhere North of Philly.

It's not for a couple weeks though, but thanks for the birthday wishes, lol.

I'll definitely use some of these ideas. Hopefully I'm not too hungry that day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A large garden salad with 4 ounces or so of lean protein like chicken breast or pork tenderloin/sirloin tip and a boiled egg with Newman's lite Italian or a Bolthouse Farms dressing. I also usually make sure I get in at least a 15 - 20 mile ride on days like this...but really, I ride 15-20 most days.
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like to drink herbal teas, water, or other low-calorie drinks during the day if I am saving calories for the evening.