I'm allergic to exercising! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Millomoi
    Millomoi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have a severe case of cholinergic urticaria? If not, a heat rash/hives isn't a reason to not exercise. I have serious heart conditions (supraventricular tachycardia, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, and exercise-induced syncope) and I still manage to exercise……

Yeah, it's diagnosed severe CU. The doctor's almost bored of seeing me about it now. ;3
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do you have a severe case of cholinergic urticaria? If not, a heat rash/hives isn't a reason to not exercise. I have serious heart conditions (supraventricular tachycardia, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, and exercise-induced syncope) and I still manage to exercise……

OT, but hello fellow person living with SVT!
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Holy God, 2 other people with SVT in the same thread? I think I've met one other person with SVT in my entire life.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    defauIt wrote: »

Holy God, 2 other people with SVT in the same thread? I think I've met one other person with SVT in my entire life.

I've never met anyone else with it. Looks like this thread brought us all together!
  • Millomoi
    Millomoi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hearing that people can find ways to exercise no matter their setbacks is really inspiring! I'm gonna be making a lot of calls tomorrow about getting the right tablets and possibly into the outdoor lakes!

(Also, oh my goodness, seeing all you guys come together completely by chance really made me giggle - best of wishes to you all!)
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    defauIt wrote: »

I've never met anyone else with it. Looks like this thread brought us all together!

The one and only person I've met with it, didn't even know what it was or that they had it! They just started complaining about how their heart will randomly start doing 200+ BPM for awhile and then randomly go back to normal and had been happening since as far as they could remember and no doctor could diagnose them. Couldn't believe what I was hearing lol.
  • bchall1111
    bchall1111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you seen http://www.cholinergicurticaria.net ? It's helped me a lot. In my (admittedly mild) case, I get buy with over the counter antihistamines and self-inducing a CU attack in the morning through an elliptical workout. Seems that getting an attack early in the day exhausts my bodies store of histamine, so I'm mostly good for the rest of the day. I'm currently testing diet-related intolerances, starting with a month-long gluten- and wheat-free diet. Also, about to try sweat therapy in a sauna. Seriously, check out http://www.cholinergicurticaria.net. Good luck!
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I get palpitations (possibly from the asthma I have) and if I stand up too quickly, I get dizzy. I also have military injuries that broke vertebrae, gave me a left hip that looks like its from a 90-year old, missing cartilage in my wrists, a neck that never stops hurting, never-recovered broken sternum, and a worn-down knee cap. This next one is not really a problem (just annoying), but I cannot stop sneezing unless I take allegra and when I sneeze, it causes me physical pain in my chest and arm....

I still manage to exercise as well.

For OP: Swim in an indoor pool. There is bound to be a YMCA or something near you.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Are there ice arenas near you? Those are nice and old and skating is a great exercise.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Find something you absolutely love to do. And do it.

Your body doesn't care that your motion didn't come via a DVD. ;)
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise for weight loss; I have chronic Lyme. I have lost all my weight from diet management
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    They also have cooling vest that help keep your temp down. I use a cooling scarf because I only very minimally sweat and overheat really easy and my body swells big time. I cant really do any strenous exercise but, I manage to do a few things at a time and just take breaks. Like 30 crunches, 20 sec planks, 20 push ups and break and do it again later.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I take zyrtec every single day and make sure I get plenty of water. I have found that when I lost a lot of the weight, my urticaria has gotten better. I do high impact workout that made me sweat and then my skin raises but I push through it and shower right after and that seems to help. Its not so much a problem now but like I said I have to take a antihistamine all the time but its worth it.
  • opalwashere
    Options
    Swimmimg & low intensity yoga
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with excruciating Plantar Fasciitis for 9yrs now. I suffer with that pain whether I exercise or do not exercise. So I exercise. Sometimes I cry while I do it...being fat makes me cry too so I guess I just pick what I get to cry about. Unless this is a life threatening issue for you, I'd advise you to try to just grin and bear it.

I'm sorry your body does not cooperate with you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What about keeping ice or ice packs on hand? Apparently if you place ice just below the back of your neck, and at your armpits and groin, it can bring core temperature down quickly
    http://www.wikihow.com/Drop-Your-Core-Temperature

Wow just googling it, there is such a thing as an ice vest (here they used one by Nike)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1748408/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_vest
    A cooling vest is a piece of specially made clothing designed to lower body temperature and make exposure to warm climates or environments more bearable. Cooling vests are used by many athletes, construction workers, and welders, as well as individuals suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, Hypohidrotic Ectodermal Dysplasia, or various types of sports injuries.

Otherwise, may be good to try to do Pilates and other isometric exercise in a room as cool as you can make it. Just do it very slowly and get what you can out of those contractions.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »
    They also have cooling vest that help keep your temp down. I use a cooling scarf because I only very minimally sweat and overheat really easy and my body swells big time. I cant really do any strenous exercise but, I manage to do a few things at a time and just take breaks. Like 30 crunches, 20 sec planks, 20 push ups and break and do it again later.

Aha I see now that it has been mentioned. Sorry!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look up chair exercises...works out your muscles and the intensity is what you want to make it!
    What about walking in place at home?
    14 Ways to Keep Cool in Your Home...the last 1 is what I was thinking but instead of a frozen water bottle, put a bowl of ice water in front of your fan!
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/14-ways-to-keep-cool-in-your-home-without-air-conditioning.html/1
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    An acquaintance I had suffered with the same problem. She would take an antihistamine prior to exercising. As far as cooling gear. Take a look at some of the items for people with multiple sclerosis. Heat can be pretty bad for people with ms, so there are tons of gear to help. Cooling vests and special cooling wraps, handkerchiefs, etc. Another friend found that ice cold water on the inside of her wrists was often enough to stop any issues exacerbated by heat.