C25K

Options
How do you all log your C25K workouts?

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    C25K gives you definitive amounts of time for walking and running. Break it down and log the walking at X MPH and the running at X mph. You should be able to time yourself someway (watch, running app, etc.) so you know how fast your are walking (15 min/mile) and how fast you are running (14 min/mile). Don't be shocked if you are walking faster than running at first (LOL - I was)....this will change as you progress through the app. I completed C25K a couple of years ago (at least twice) and now have no problem running 6 - 8 miles regularly (okay, slowly) without a problem. C25K turned me into a seasoned runner that has me using running as my "go to" exercise. Feel free to send a friend request - I love to help new runners in their journey! Run strong! - Doug
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the runkeeper app and programed in C25K weekly runs. Its syncs my runs with MFP and gives stats for time/distance/speed and estimated calories burned. There are also a few other similar apps that will do the same thing.
  • gretch23
    gretch23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much both of you!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you re using a phone to track I got into Nike+running for free and found it to be very accurate (now i am using it and a Garmin 220 - shows what time running does to a tracking nerd - :)
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just tracked however many minutes walking and however many minutes jogging each day. Another option is to use an app like Runkeeper which will give you a read on time, distance, and calories burned, and just enter the calories manually. OR you can use an app like that to find out about how fast you walk and run, and then log x minutes running and y minutes walking each day. I think I just guestimated how fast I was going for a long time until I started to get into the longer uninterrupted runs and starting using Runkeeper to track my time and distance.

Good luck on C25k! I started it at the end of October, finished it up in the winter, and am now training for a half marathon. It's a really great way to get started!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    gretch23 wrote: »
    How do you all log your C25K workouts?

Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava are all options.

I used Runkeeper, now that I run longer distances I use a Garmin watch.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MisRka wrote: »
    I downloaded the runkeeper app and programed in C25K weekly runs. Its syncs my runs with MFP and gives stats for time/distance/speed and estimated calories burned. There are also a few other similar apps that will do the same thing.

I've been wondering about that to be honest. The calories runkeeper gives me seem highly inflated, and even if I assume they are gross calories, and thus I calculate the BMR over that duration out it still seems high.

There's a spreadsheet on google docs somewhere which shows activity factors for a huge amount of activities. That data can apparently be used for scientific research. If I use that I get 138 calories for brisk walking and 15x for slow running for week 3 instead of the 214 runkeeper gives me.

edit: here https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/walking
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wear a fitbit chargeHR and tell it to log the workout at start and end.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    There's a spreadsheet on google docs somewhere which shows activity factors for a huge amount of activities. That data can apparently be used for scientific research. If I use that I get 138 calories for brisk walking and 15x for slow running for week 3 instead of the 214 runkeeper gives me.

Given that the first four weeks are in the order of 200cals per session and the latter weeks are about 300 then 25 either way is lost in the noise.

I tested all of the apps above, along with others, and they're all reasonably close to one another. My Garmin is probably most conservative.

That said, it depends what one wants to track. For me it's routes, pace, distance and performance improvement over time. Calorie expenditure is less important, so I generally assume 100 cals per mile. As I run generally hilly routes that's a clear underestimate though.

Of the apps above my recommendation would be Endomondo, but it was consistently the highest calorie estimation as well.
  • yirara
    Options
    Yea, I mostly want to track duration, distance and pace. The elevation is completely off as well (completely flat area, but still RK gives me total climbs of about 130-160m). I suspect their elevation model includes houses as the open streetmap for this area is off. My handheld gps certainly doesn't show that much cumulative elevation.

Ok, I edited a tiny track now that had 16m total elevation. Now that all the points are on the road (even if the location of the road is wrong on the map!), the elevation is indeed only 1m. So their elevation model does include houses and trees, or maybe cars parked along the road. Hmpf.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Ok, I edited a tiny track now that had 16m total elevation. Now that all the points are on the road (even if the location of the road is wrong on the map!), the elevation is indeed only 1m. So their elevation model does include houses and trees, or maybe cars parked along the road. Hmpf.

Sounds like your mobile is the issue rather than the app, although RK does have some issues with the elevation model your description of the data points suggests problems with the GPS input rather than anything else.
  • yirara
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sounds like your mobile is the issue rather than the app, although RK does have some issues with the elevation model your description of the data points suggests problems with the GPS input rather than anything else.

I'm not sure. I did do a walk with my handheld gps a few days ago and the track location was pretty much the same as with my mobile phone, but the elevation the gps gave me was more in line with what I'd expect. I wonder if it would help to adjust the OS-Map, but I guess it won't.

Nah, it won't change a thing. The satellite image RK is using is just poorly georeferenced. It's just off by about 5m towards NNW, but it's enough to have me run over houses here.