I hate measuring

Options
Will count calories in here but to weigh and measure every single morsel that goes onto my plate is so damn boring, anyone else feel the same? Plus I think its obsessive. Still managing to lose the weight without it though :) Usually measure portions by hand.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I like it. I feel in control and I'm really fast at it now.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like it as well, it gets easier the more you do it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I have it on good authority that measuring hates you, too.
  • arditarose
    Options

lol.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited March 2015
    Options
    oh ok, hate too strong a word so I will now change it to "intensely dislike"
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Since starting MFP I have not used a scale once. Fortunately I have lost the weight I wanted. If I hadn't...I would've gotten a scale. :p
  • arditarose
    Options
    If you've just started counting, and you have a decent amount of weight to lose, it's possible to lose some pounds without weighing food. That is because you are consciously trying to eat less and you are being successful at that. But eventually as you lose weight, your deficit becomes smaller and there is less room for error. You'll get used to weighing, it's not that bad. I think it's fun...kind of.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring is the only way to know what you are putting in your mouth, unless you have tons of extra dollars to purchase packaged single servings of everything so you can go by the label. It really is easy to do, no more difficult than plating up your food. Just drop your plate on the scale, tare, put your meat on it, tare, put your veggies on it, tare, put your starch on it. Done.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My food scale let's me feel like a mad scientist every morning. Who doesn't want that?

Mostly though, it's what works for me. If you see success your way, then great! If you don't, then consider trying something else. Everyone has to find what works best for them!
  • nesian_twin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hey that's all good arditarose if you see it as fun, i wasnt trying to put down what others choose to do and that is great mommyofjan how u lost the weight anyway! without using a scale to weigh foods. Stepping on weight scales for me is already stressful enough lol
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    mommyofjan wrote: »
    Since starting MFP I have not used a scale once. Fortunately I have lost the weight I wanted. If I hadn't...I would've gotten a scale. :p

Ditto!! :+1:
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Will count calories in here but to weigh and measure every single morsel that goes onto my plate is so damn boring, anyone else feel the same? Plus I think its obsessive. Still managing to lose the weight without it though :) Usually measure portions by hand.

Well..this is a site for people who do fitness and weight loss by counting / weighing their calories.

So maybe you have to find some other options/sites?

• nesian_twin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well..this is a site for people who do fitness and weight loss by counting / weighing their calories.

So maybe you have to find some other options/sites?

Maybe, do you know of any?

• runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Once you plateau you will want to start weighing. Just wait...
  • BWBTrish
    Options

Maybe, do you know of any?

No i am in the right place here
    I weigh every single gram of my solid food and measure every liquid
    Lost almost 75 pounds now in 5 months...so not searching for another place to go.

Determination and consistency are my biggest friends
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    ok runnrchic I hope it doesnt come to that but perhaps you know better than me :) thanks for the warning
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you can lose without weighing/measuring your food, I think you're one of the lucky ones. I wouldn't be able to.
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    Well done owlhouse I hope I am as successful as you
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to the idea of weighing, it is easy. I found it hard to lose weight without measuring everything.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    You will when you make "Determination and consistency are my biggest friends"

Oh and eat of course less calories than you burn....However you want to achieve this by not weighing/counting is up to you. But i know i dont want to guesstimate what i eat. I go the road of being sure how many calories i eat...and weigh/count everything.

But that is for everybody different of course