I hate measuring

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hate paying my taxes ... but it must be done, right?

Weighing and measuring is just the food consumption tax I have to pay.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I lost steadily for about a year, then stopped losing for about 3 months. I decided I needed to crack down on what I was taking in, so started weighing most of my food. And the weight started coming off again. So, if you're losing, great, no need to weigh your food. If you're not losing, well, it might be something you look into.

I hit my goal weight about 6 months ago, and no longer weigh or log my food. So it doesn't have to be forever. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Actually taxes are totally voluntary there is no law on the books that says you have to look it up.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed or measured food in my life. If my weight gets up over my comfort zone, I spend a couple of weeks eating less and doing some cardio. If my weight hasn't budged in that time, I eat less than I was until it starts going down. It's all down to eating less and creating a deficit; I don't feel like I need to know down to the calorie how much of a deficit I'm creating.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love measuring. mmmmmmmmmmmm data.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    See, I don't hate the measuring (I'm big and losing, so I'm not terribly concerned about weighing, yet, but I know it's in my future) I just hate the logging. It just feels terribly unnatural. I do it because I have to. I like the data available once I've done it. I just really really don't like doing it. But I know I have to. It's annoying figuring out the different calories in each item, and making recipes for homemade items, and all of that, but it was it is.

You might want to look at the No S Diet and see if it works for you, though. There is a website, but the idea is that you have no Seconds, no Snacks, and no Sweets except on days that start with S. Idea being you get one plate of food three times a day. If you like to eat larger meals this might work well, because it sort of "forces" you to eat fewer calories by limiting you to certain things. They have a message forum as well that offers some support, etc.
  • 003yolanda
    003yolanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will count calories in here but to weigh and measure every single morsel that goes onto my plate is so damn boring, anyone else feel the same? Plus I think its obsessive. Still managing to lose the weight without it though :) Usually measure portions by hand.

I feel the same way, but it's the only accurate way to see what the real intake is. I was against it at first but slowly 1 cup of not measuring turned into 1.5 cups and so forth and so on. To control my portions sizes it's must in my book.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Ah, ok. I'm sure it's not 100% accurate for every food. This method did work for me, though, in combination with a lot of activity. (50 lbs lost, goal weight maintained 4 years; working on losing 18 regained after injury.)

I'm not arguing against you on this I'm just telling others if you live and die by the goal line every day you might be eating more than you think. It could be putting you in a surplus depending on how close you are. Now if you have around 100 calories left at the end of the day it might not be a problem. Way to go on your loss and good luck on the new endeavors.

Yeah, for sure, good for people to know. Thanks! Good luck to you as well :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Actually taxes are totally voluntary there is no law on the books that says you have to look it up.

???
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

They'd send me to prison if I didn't pay my taxes...
    No one voluntarily wants to pay tax
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yer funny.

Educate yourself, or go to prison for your ignorance. You can claim "no law" all you want as they slap on the cuffs, seize all of your assets, and put you on the bus to prison.

It doesn't matter to me - I'm laughing either way, right?

Laugh.gif

BTW - I cite my source: Straight from irs.gov.

Your "look it up" is Argumentum ad Ignorantum of the highest order, Bro.

You don't have to pay the taxes, but you do have to suffer the consequences of not paying your taxes.

You don't have to log your food consumption, but you do have to suffer the consequences of not actively and accurately controlling and monitoring food intake, right?

Right?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Will count calories in here but to weigh and measure every single morsel that goes onto my plate is so damn boring, anyone else feel the same? Plus I think its obsessive. Still managing to lose the weight without it though :) Usually measure portions by hand.

I like weighing my food and practicing moderation. It's my way of knowing how much I eat and in being in control of my food. In the end, I get weight management.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have it on good authority that measuring hates you, too.

thumbs-up-smiley-300x182.gif
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yer funny.

Educate yourself, or go to prison for your ignorance. You can claim "no law" all you want as they slap on the cuffs, seize all of your assets, and put you on the bus to prison.

It doesn't matter to me - I'm laughing either way, right?

Laugh.gif

BTW - I cite my source: Straight from irs.gov.

Your "look it up" is Argumentum ad Ignorantum of the highest order, Bro.

You don't have to pay the taxes, but you do have to suffer the consequences of not paying your taxes.

You don't have to log your food consumption, but you do have to suffer the consequences of not actively and accurately controlling and monitoring food intake, right?

Right?

man so spot on! Well said :+1:

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Oh man I wish I'd known this sooner! Thanks good to know
  • dupuye
    dupuye Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I admit, I feel like I am obsessive / compulsive when I start measuring stuff down to the nitty gritty. But its true, until you have actually seen the measurements out a few times, you will never realize how much you have really been putting into your mouth. It seems like it takes some experimentation, which is all I feel like I have been doing for the last two days, trying to figure out where the calories are hiding.
  • acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Well..this is a site for people who do fitness and weight loss by counting / weighing their calories.

So maybe you have to find some other options/sites?

This site is for support in losing weight and can be used in many ways; not just exclusively for weighing your food. It sounds like she is still tracking what she eats, maybe not to the exact gram of using a food scale, but not everyone goes that way. I personally like this site for inspiration, support and shared experiences with people on the very hard weight loss journey.

OP I personally haven't used a food scale and have lost 92 pounds so far. If it gets to the point where I need one, I will. I'm close to the end, and I have learned to follow my body's cues on hunger and that has worked for me.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I can understand what you're saying with regards to not wanting to measure but the logic you are using becomes flawed if you enjoy such things as peanut butter, 30g can look very similar to 50g when spread across toast or bread but there is 200+ calories worth of difference there.
    For some people that would actually take away their daily deficit.

I highly recommend weighing what you consume, unless you only log things that are in packets and pre-weighed for you. Otherwise you diary may as well be guesswork!

All the same, I wish you the best with whichever path you choose!

Adam
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I've worked in food manufacturing. If knowing precisely what you consume is important to you, weighing/measuring is essential. There is a wide margin of acceptable higher/lower wights as related to the stated weight on the package. You CANNOT assume that what it says is in the package is accurate.