Reminder/warning for outdoor workouts

Options
Sonofabiscuit2
Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
Summer is coming and that means wildlife is active. Obviously not as much in big cities but in suburban and rural areas, this is more likely. Not every animal runs away, in particular I was reminded of rattle snakes as I ran by a neighbors place where he had hung a dead one on his fence. Snakes especially can ber dangerous even when dead because the snake can bite down through a nervous reaction after death. So just a friendly reminder keep an eye out as you workout.

Keep your legs pumping and your heart thumping.

Replies

• catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    and don't forget those ticks!!!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I definitely thought this was just going to say "Wear sunscreen!" LOL.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ticks, mosquitoes and poison ivy aren't as dangerous, but still no fun. :frown:

And wear sunscreen!!!!!!! :blushing:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Yikes! Thanks for the reminder, you sonofabiscuit! Just reading about that probably got me to max. heart rate...

ETA:
    I like running outside b/c I am a nosey person and like looking around, but I would never make fun of the treadmill devotees - they won't die of lyme disease or melanoma, etc. :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Also apply your sunscreen and stay hydrated. It's get's crazy hot here in Texas
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    We've got a bunch of animals here in the Burbank hills (yes, there are hills in Burbank, CA). Coyote, rattle snakes, ticks.....

ALSO.....watch out for poison oak and poison ivy too.......

(My husband got some sort of rash on one ankle and both his arms after our hike last weekend....)
  • Clovergirl17
    Options

I know! on Wednesday I was outside for over two hours doing yard work, and the next morning I found a nasty little hitchhiker! Even though we did a thorough checking for any and all bugs! Sneaky little buggers....
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Found one of those after running the other day! *blech*
  • Bartness
    Bartness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I guess im luky that I live in a city... lol
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    Yep, ticks, poison ivy and the sun are dangers too, just this one was fresh on my mind. Hydrate, sunscreen, and keep your eye out. :happy:
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    We've got a bunch of animals here in the Burbank hills (yes, there are hills in Burbank, CA). Coyote, rattle snakes, ticks.....

ALSO.....watch out for poison oak and poison ivy too.......

(My husband got some sort of rash on one ankle and both his arms after our hike last weekend....)
    I've also seen tarantulas in ca. when I ran up in the mountains in northern ca, I would carry a handful of rocks to toss at coyotes.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I definitely thought this was just going to say "Wear sunscreen!" LOL.

THIS!!! because the threat of damage from the sun is real and constant for everyone, the chances of running into a rattlesnake much more remote!

Not to sound like chicken little, but you guys, radiation is falling out of the sky! and all it takes to protect yourself is cheap and easy sunscreen!
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    I'm going to be on the look out for BIG, CRUNCHY Beatles...nothing better then running over those! :sick:
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    There were deer on the sidewalk when I was running this morning. I actually wasn't quite sure what to do and wanted to look it up when I got home to see how much of a distance I should keep from them (I just sort of veered into the street and went wide around them). Not that they're vicious or anything but I was concerned I might startle them which would cause some type of retaliation. Thanks for the reminder!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Around here it is bears, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes and of course ticks. Deer aren't really anything to worry about, I have like 20 of them in my yard on a daily basis when I come home.
  • Hazelhaze05
    Hazelhaze05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about heat, then I realized in some places it's probably not even hot yet lol

My elliptical is in my garage. I usually workout at night so it's not that bad. But, today I went out about 11am and it was almost 90!!! Anyone want to trade states lol I'm in FL
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I have to be very wary of ninjas. smiley-violent067.gifThose sneaky little Fers just pop out of the bushes and try to slice me up. It's a good thing I'm also a certified ninja (Brian Wilson School of Awesomeness), so I can usually fend 'em off. I once had to fight twenty of them, it was a horrific battle. Ultimately, I was killed though.

smiley-whacky110.gif
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I planned to start running outside, but this thread has me freaked out! :noway: My treadmill may be boring, but I don't have to worry about anything attacking me.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have to be very wary of ninjas. smiley-violent067.gifThose sneaky little Fers just pop out of the bushes and try to slice me up. It's a good thing I'm also a certified ninja (Brian Wilson School of Awesomeness), so I can usually fend 'em off. I once had to fight twenty of them, it was a horrific battle. Ultimately, I was killed though.

smiley-whacky110.gif

Did you count those extra calories from fighting the ninjas? And how many calories is getting killed by ninjas good for? I may try that.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I dont think i've ever been so happy to live in England. We only have one poisonous snake the adder and it's pretty rare. When i'm outside i just have to worry about horses, cows, sheep, geese, the odd swan, dogs and midgies.