More Calories (but not sugar or carbs)

Options
Thanks to a few of my MFP friends I was made aware that I was consuming way too many carbs and sugar, I've turned my diet around from today and already it's proving to be successful as carbs and sugar are where they should be (plus I feel good!). The only thing is, my calories are WAY under. I've not put in dinner yet, but it'll still leave me with around 300-400 spare. Any suggestions of snacks/lunch options to add to what I'm having that won't affect my carb/sugar intake too much? :)

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Eat an extra piece of meat.
    Or
    Add avocado.
    Or
    Add full fat dairy.
    Or
    Cook with oil.

It actually depends on what else you are eating too little of. But if you ate a lot of carbs I guess it can only be protein or fat.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Or
    Add avocado.
    Or
    Add full fat dairy.
    Or
    Cook with oil.

It actually depends on what else you are eating too little of. But if you ate a lot of carbs I guess it can only be protein or fat.

Take a look at my diary and see what you think - I cook with coconut oil, don't love avocados and already eat a fair amount of meat, which limits my options.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Or
    Add avocado.
    Or
    Add full fat dairy.
    Or
    Cook with oil.

Take a look at my diary and see what you think - I cook with coconut oil, don't love avocados and already eat a fair amount of meat, which limits my options.

Make your meats fattier, nuts, nut butter (adjust for your daily carb count), cheese, add an extra tablespoon of oil while cooking. When I need some extra calories but not really wanting to eat more volume I'll do something like throw some butter on my vegetables or add some other fat to whatever I'm eating.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Whole cream for coffee/tea instead of milk, beef jerky or sticks, hard cheeses, pecans or macadamia nuts. Some of those still have a carb or two, but if you're accounting for it all, you can make them fit.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    emilyr0011 wrote: »
    Or
    Add avocado.
    Or
    Add full fat dairy.
    Or
    Cook with oil.

Make your meats fattier, nuts, nut butter (adjust for your daily carb count), cheese, add an extra tablespoon of oil while cooking. When I need some extra calories but not really wanting to eat more volume I'll do something like throw some butter on my vegetables or add some other fat to whatever I'm eating.

Thanks I'll try that. I already have cheese in my salad, is there anything else I could add to the salad?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Whole cream for coffee/tea instead of milk, beef jerky or sticks, hard cheeses, pecans or macadamia nuts. Some of those still have a carb or two, but if you're accounting for it all, you can make them fit.

Thanks - really keen to try pecans actually. Might give those a go.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that. I already have cheese in my salad, is there anything else I could add to the salad?
    What about olives?

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs are a good one as they'll up your protein and fat but not carbs
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Or
    Add avocado.
    Or
    Add full fat dairy.
    Or
    Cook with oil.

I can't see your diary, but extra dressing or a dressing with more fat would add more cals for sure. I love nuts & sometimes bacon in mine, and I know you said you eat enought meat but maybe you could get in an extra .5 or 1 oz.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    What about olives?

I hate olives annoyingly :(
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Good idea - but I read that more than 3 eggs a week is bad for you, hoping this is a myth?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Or
    Add avocado.
    Or
    Add full fat dairy.
    Or
    Cook with oil.

I can't see your diary, but extra dressing or a dressing with more fat would add more cals for sure. I love nuts & sometimes bacon in mine, and I know you said you eat enought meat but maybe you could get in an extra .5 or 1 oz.

Ah I've opened my diary up now. Dressing is a good idea, at the moment I just have Nandos sauce (obsessed with it), which isn't particularly high calorie. I feel a tesco visit coming on!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good idea - but I read that more than 3 eggs a week is bad for you, hoping this is a myth?
    Total myth. No limit on eggs.

No limit on any foods, really, carbs included. As long as you have adequate fat and protein intake, and stick to an appropriate calorie goal, you can basically eat anything you enjoy. People try to force too many unnecessary limitations on themselves.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It comes with the hypothesis that saturated fat can cause hearth disease.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

No limit on any foods, really, carbs included. As long as you have adequate fat and protein intake, and stick to an appropriate calorie goal, you can basically eat anything you enjoy. People try to force too many unnecessary limitations on themselves.

Phew - I'll try an egg from time to time.

Although it's not the case, I do feel like I'm dieting with what I'm eating from today onwards. It's just 'healthy', but feels quite restricted. I've got myself in the mind set of being obsessed with every little thing I eat which I don't want, as I don't actually want to lose weight anymore. I do want to lose a bit of fat and tone up though. It's tricky!
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

No that's a myth so eat away! I eat around 2 a day as it automatically adds a good amount of protein without extra carbs
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Although it's not the case, I do feel like I'm dieting with what I'm eating from today onwards. It's just 'healthy', but feels quite restricted. I've got myself in the mind set of being obsessed with every little thing I eat which I don't want, as I don't actually want to lose weight anymore. I do want to lose a bit of fat and tone up though. It's tricky!

I lost 60 pounds while eating entire pints of ice cream at a time. Set your protein and fat goals, fill the rest of your calorie goal with carbs, then choose the foods you enjoy that fit into your goal. There's no need to arbitrarily restrict anything out of your diet, unless you have a specific medical condition that requires it (food allergy, chronic disease, etc.)
  • susanwalchuk
    Options
    Real (not processed) cheese with real butter on it.... high in protein and fat... not sure about the calories but does me good for a what the hell am I going to eat now kinda fix
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

I lost 60 pounds while eating entire pints of ice cream at a time. Set your protein and fat goals, fill the rest of your calorie goal with carbs, then choose the foods you enjoy that fit into your goal. There's no need to arbitrarily restrict anything out of your diet, unless you have a specific medical condition that requires it (food allergy, chronic disease, etc.)

My daily intake was around 60% carbs which was way too many, trying to cut back but still struggling with not eating around 50% carbs. 40% would be ideal, from what I've read. What would you suggest are good fat and protein goals? Currently mine are set to 30% fat and 35% protein.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Real (not processed) cheese with real butter on it.... high in protein and fat... not sure about the calories but does me good for a what the hell am I going to eat now kinda fix

Thanks! I do love cheese... a lot...