More Calories (but not sugar or carbs)

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Are you trying to lose more weight, or maintain, or gain?
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    What is your goal? Are you trying to lose more weight, or maintain, or gain?

Maintain. If I lose another 2-3lbs, great, but I'm not aiming to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks to a few of my MFP friends I was made aware that I was consuming way too many carbs and sugar, I've turned my diet around from today and already it's proving to be successful as carbs and sugar are where they should be (plus I feel good!). The only thing is, my calories are WAY under. I've not put in dinner yet, but it'll still leave me with around 300-400 spare. Any suggestions of snacks/lunch options to add to what I'm having that won't affect my carb/sugar intake too much? :)

These people are not your friends

Unless you want to be low carb

Otherwise it won't affect your diet as long as you stick to calorie defecit and keep an eye on adequate protein

so do what you want in terms of food intake
  • katiejanecollins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Thanks to a few of my MFP friends I was made aware that I was consuming way too many carbs and sugar, I've turned my diet around from today and already it's proving to be successful as carbs and sugar are where they should be (plus I feel good!). The only thing is, my calories are WAY under. I've not put in dinner yet, but it'll still leave me with around 300-400 spare. Any suggestions of snacks/lunch options to add to what I'm having that won't affect my carb/sugar intake too much? :)

Otherwise it won't affect your diet as long as you stick to calorie defecit and keep an eye on adequate protein

My daily carb intake was over 60%, with sugar coming in at 80/90g per day. Pretty sure they're right in saying that's a little too much?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

My daily carb intake was over 60%, with sugar coming in at 70/80g per day. Pretty sure they're right in saying that's a little too much?

My daily carb intake is 50-60% (250-300g generally)

My protein is around 100g based on 0.8g of Protein per lb of LBM

I have no medical conditions that mean I have to watch either carb or sugar intake and have a generally nutritious diet with lots of vegetables and lean proteins

I lost 50lb in 9 months and am currently trying to maintain

I'm pretty sure they are wrong ... as a hard and fast rule

Unless you want to cut carbs and sugars for any other reason - in which case do it

But needing to .. nah!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

My daily carb intake was over 60%, with sugar coming in at 80/90g per day. Pretty sure they're right in saying that's a little too much?

sugar intake is about what mine is ….

if you are in a deficit a 60% carb intake is not going to make you gain weight …

my carb intake is about 35-40% but I am cutting right now…

ignore the carb and sugar fear mongers….
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    So you're at a point where you're trying to maintain, what has your journey been like?

Do you feel, apart from what your well-meaning friends say, that there is any reason to cut carbs and sugar or were you happy your diet (used in the generic sense) provides you with adequate nutrients and macros

If you are happy then why change?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I am curious as to why you care what others think about your food diary?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    So you're at a point where you're trying to maintain, what has your journey been like?

Do you feel, apart from what your well-meaning friends say, that there is any reason to cut carbs and sugar or were you happy your diet (used in the generic sense) provides you with adequate nutrients and macros

It's been fine up until the last few weeks where I've hit a wall with weight and feel incredibly lethargic (despite sleeping for 8-9 hours a night). Having looked closely at my diary I was eating a lot of refined sugars, so I've ditched those where possible. Sugar I can handle, it's carbs I think I'll struggle with.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Because I don't think it's right and want people to check based on their experience with eating.
  • ndj1979
    Options

It's been fine up until the last few weeks where I've hit a wall with weight and feel incredibly lethargic (despite sleeping for 8-9 hours a night). Having looked closely at my diary I was eating a lot of refined sugars, so I've ditched those where possible. Sugar I can handle, it's carbs I think I'll struggle with.

so you feel lethargic or others are telling you to eat less cars? Because your OP says that your MFP friends are telling you this …now you are coming up with a different story ...
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options

Because I don't think it's right and want people to check based on their experience with eating.

if you want to eat less carbs then by all means do so …however, it is not some magical solution that is going cure all your ills….

unless of course you have some kind of undiagnosed medical condition...
  • lwatson0
    lwatson0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

My daily carb intake was over 60%, with sugar coming in at 70/80g per day. Pretty sure they're right in saying that's a little too much?

I have no medical conditions that mean I have to watch either carb or sugar intake and have a generally nutritious diet with lots of vegetables and lean proteins

Unless you want to cut carbs and sugars for any other reason - in which case do it

But needing to .. nah!

There's absolutely no need to be afraid of eating carbs, none whatsoever. However, the OPs high sugar intake was coming from refined sugars added to foods offering no nutritional value whatsoever. These empty calories were subsequently using up her daily calorie allowance and creating a deficiency in other areas like protein (some days coming in at 28g of protein a day) and unable to consume more because calories had been used up eating refined sugar.

So whether you see sugar as a demon or not, if it's taking up a disproportionally high percentage of your daily calorie intake and preventing you from eating enough protein, then it's a good idea to cut back.

I would never suggest cutting back on carbs from a nutritional point of view provided that they are nutritious, unprocessed whole food sources. But, I'm sorry, to suggest to someone that they are ok to fill their calorie quota with refined sugars when it's at the expense of other nutrients is highly irresponsible. (And to use the argument that you lost weight while eating high amounts sugar therefore it can't be bad for you is missing the point entirely).

• katiejanecollins
    Options

so you feel lethargic or others are telling you to eat less cars? Because your OP says that your MFP friends are telling you this …now you are coming up with a different story ...

I posted about feeling lethargic, and people said carbs and sugar might be to do with it. Not everyone, but some people. It thought they had a good point, so I'm trying 'less carbs' to see if it helps.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I posted about feeling lethargic, and people said carbs and sugar might be to do with it. Not everyone, but some people. It thought they had a good point, so I'm trying 'less carbs' to see if it helps.

carbs are used for energy …just an FYI

• ndj1979
    Options
    lwatson0 wrote: »

But needing to .. nah!

There's absolutely no need to be afraid of eating carbs, none whatsoever. However, the OPs high sugar intake was coming from refined sugars added to foods offering no nutritional value whatsoever. These empty calories were subsequently using up her daily calorie allowance and creating a deficiency in other areas like protein (some days coming in at 28g of protein a day) and unable to consume more because calories had been used up eating refined sugar.

So whether you see sugar as a demon or not, if it's taking up a disproportionally high percentage of your daily calorie intake and preventing you from eating enough protein, then it's a good idea to cut back.

I would never suggest cutting back on carbs from a nutritional point of view provided that they are nutritious, unprocessed whole food sources. But, I'm sorry, to suggest to someone that they are ok to fill their calorie quota with refined sugars when it's at the expense of other nutrients is highly irresponsible. (And to use the argument that you lost weight while eating high amounts sugar therefore it can't be bad for you is missing the point entirely).

sugar = sugar so source does not matter.

Not sure how sugar would be an "empty" calorie as it provides energy ….

If OP, or anyone, is hitting their macro/micro/calorie targets for the day then it does not matter where the remaining calories come from. You don't get extra credit for going over on nutrient allowances.
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options

But needing to .. nah!

If OP, or anyone, is hitting their macro/micro/calorie targets for the day then it does not matter where the remaining calories come from. You don't get extra credit for going over on nutrient allowances.

What he said ^^^

Although if she's not hitting her macro (Protein and Fat) and micro targets I can absolutely accept that there's a point in working on that .. but to say cut out carbs and sugar when she's low on energy .. meh!

I didn't track sugar so I have no idea if I ate high amounts or not .. I swapped it out for fibre which is far more useful to track because sugar .. refined sugar or fructose .. I've yet to see a valid study that says the human body doesn't process them the same

ETA I've averaged 69g sugar over the last 30 days
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

But needing to .. nah!

What he said ^^^

Although if she's not hitting her macro (Protein and Fat) and micro targets I can absolutely accept that there's a point in working on that .. but to say cut out carbs and sugar when she's low on energy .. meh!

I didn't track sugar so I have no idea if I ate high amounts or not .. I swapped it out for fibre which is far more useful to track because sugar .. refined sugar or fructose .. I've yet to see a valid study that says the human body doesn't process them the same

I haven't totally cut out sugar, I've just swapped my sugary snack bar for almonds for example. There's still sugar in my diet, just better forms of it!
  • lwatson0
    lwatson0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

But needing to .. nah!

What he said ^^^

But that's the point! They weren't hitting their Macro targets, protein in particular, because they were using up calories on ketchup, honey, biscuits, syrups added to coffee and other refined added sugars. So advising that they replace ketchup or the syrup in their coffee with a healthy protein source to raise their protein intake above 28g in a day sounds like good advice to me.

And as for the idea that sugar provides energy therefore any source in any quantity is good for you ?!?! I might as well give up a career in sports science with elite athletes and just leave a note at the training ground instructing staff to get our players to consume unlimited quantities of cola to turn them into supermen with unlimited energy.

• ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options

But needing to .. nah!

What he said ^^^

I haven't totally cut out sugar, I've just swapped my sugary snack bar for almonds for example. There's still sugar in my diet, just better forms of it!

please explain why one form of sugar is superior to another?

for example…I have ten grams of sugar from an apple and ten grams from ice cream, why is the apple sugar superior to the ice cream sugar?

hint - it is a trick question...