Should I get my ring resized?

So for my birthday my boyfriend bought me a gorgeous ring, but it's just a little too small (it fits on but makes my finger bulge).

The thing is, lots of my rings from when I was at my goal weight now don't fit me either so.. should I get this one resized or not?? Because it would be a hassle and maybe not possible to get it bigger now, then get it smaller later...

What do you think??

Replies

• SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    That was sweet of your BF. Be considerate of his feelings. Get it resized so you can wear it now and after you reach your goal weight you can switch it to a bigger finger. (Or put some tape on the bottom of the band to keep it on. )
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I personally would wait. I haven't worn my wedding ring in years. Looking forward to that day. Of course my ring has a pattern all the way round the band that makes it impossible to re-size. We were lucky to find the matching wedding bands in the discard box that fit us both because the jeweler said they couldn't be resized due to the pattern. We found mine first then his and couldn't believe it when they fit. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I would just wait awhile. If it is just a bit tight you might find it okay in a month or two.
    I'm not at my goal weight yet and my wedding ring is quite a bit looser.
  • lwatson0
    lwatson0 Posts: 11 Member
    Am I the only one who just spat his coffee out at seeing this thread title!?!?

(Or is this just an English thing?)
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    I would wait,..also, try the other hand or another finger. My left ring finger is slightly smaller than my right. If you're pretty sure it will fit later, ware it on a necklace until it fits comfortably.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    beccam83 wrote: »
    So for my birthday my boyfriend bought me a gorgeous ring, but it's just a little too small (it fits on but makes my finger bulge).

The thing is, lots of my rings from when I was at my goal weight now don't fit me either so.. should I get this one resized or not?? Because it would be a hassle and maybe not possible to get it bigger now, then get it smaller later...

What do you think??

Can you get a chain or cord and wear it around your neck for now? I would wait to get it resized. Yes, you can get it made bigger now and then smaller later but it can cost quite a bit each resizing and making a ring larger costs more because they have to add metal.

• Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    lwatson0 wrote: »

It's an English thing, but you made me laugh when I read your post! Will watch out for that when chatting with UK friends!

I lost my wedding band last year because I didn't take the time to have it resized. If you love it then have it fixed so you can wear it.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Can you get a chain or cord and wear it around your neck for now? I would wait to get it resized. Yes, you can get it made bigger now and then smaller later but it can cost quite a bit each resizing and making a ring larger costs more because they have to add metal.

agree.gif
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member

you're probably the only one...no idea what you're talking about. ??

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    I'd wait until you're at your goal weight to get it resized, so you'd definitely be getting it sized perfectly for the size you are. You don't want to have to have it done several times as you lose weight, it'd be costly and it might even start to affect the integrity of the ring if it's being messed with repeatedly.

I agree with the idea of wearing it on a chain around your neck, that way you still get to wear it, and your fella knows you like it and want to wear it. I currently wear my engagement ring on a chain, as it started slipping off my finger as I lost weight and I was afraid to lose it, but didn't want to stop wearing it. It's a good solution, I'm actually really fond of wearing it on a necklace now!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Definitely wait to get it resized so you don't spend a lot more money on the process. Try a different finger or a necklace for now, and as you get close to your target weight, try it on again and see if it fits a different finger. I had a couple of rings HSpoon bought me on our honeymoon when I was a lot heavier. They couldn't be resized because of the settings, and at the time, they only fit on my pinkie, but now they fit on different fingers, which I actually prefer! So it worked out nicely.

I did get my engagement band resized, but I can't get the wedding band resized because of the engraving. Yeah, I could get it re-engraved, but as much trouble as it was to find someone that would engrave in Hebrew, I really don't want to mess with it!
  • I always resize my rings. Up or down I want to be able to enjoy them
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I'd wait until you're at your goal weight to get it resized, so you'd definitely be getting it sized perfectly for the size you are. You don't want to have to have it done several times as you lose weight, it'd be costly and it might even start to affect the integrity of the ring if it's being messed with repeatedly.

many jewelers will only resize a ring twice because of the potential damage.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I didn't catch it- but after you said it I chuckled. heh.

I love it.
  • beccam83
    beccam83 Posts: 51 Member
    dubird wrote: »

I did get my engagement band resized, but I can't get the wedding band resized because of the engraving. Yeah, I could get it re-engraved, but as much trouble as it was to find someone that would engrave in Hebrew, I really don't want to mess with it!

Oh crap this one has been engraved! I didn't even think about that!!
  • beccam83
    earlnabby wrote: »

I think I'll do this for now! Thank you!!
  • beccam83

I mean I'm English and a student so you'd think I'd know what you're on about, but no haha. Get lost