Calories... the more we work out the more we can eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Both my dietician and weight doctor (he's an endocrinologist specializing in weight issues)
    say to ignore exercise calories. They're a bonus toward losing weight.
    That's been working for me.
    Most people underestimate what they eat,
    and most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    For most people, most of the time, those errors more or less cancel out.
    If you're really hungry at the end of the day once in a while, eat 1/3 to 1/2 of your exercise calories.
    wolfman wrote:
    As to why you wouldn't want to just forgo those calories to potentially
    lose faster? Well, part of being healthy and fit is actually learning how to
    fuel your body and your activities. Underfeeding your body can lead to
    recovery issues and injury while training... you shouldn't underfeed and train.
    I've been eating below my BMR for over a year now (minus a few days here & there
    like Thanksgiving) and my doctors are happy with both my overall health &
    my progress in losing weight. That's considerably below the TDEE/MFP method.
    Things might be different when someone is close to or at an ideal weight.
    51637601.png

There is no TDEE/MFP method. The two methods are different, and neither has anything to do with not eating below BMR. (Not undereating means not having too extreme a deficit, which MFP caps at 1000 and TDEE method usually makes 20%, although I cut 500 calories off when I started doing it.)

My first several months here I routinely lost 2 lbs/week (sometimes up to 3 lbs) while eating back a good portion of my exercise calories. Yet according to you I should have eaten less because I must have been underestimating my calories eaten and overestimating my calories burned. I disagree and would suggest that aiming for a greater weight loss with the level of activity I was doing would have been underfeeding my body.

Your doctors' approach seems to work if someone really doesn't do a good job estimating calories, and maybe that's common (I've been half***ing it lately and am not doing a good job or losing, but I'm also 5 lbs from goal). However, some people fall on the other side of the scale and might habitually overestimate their calories or underestimate their activity. A good way to check on this is to look at how much you are actually losing per week. (As a personal matter, I'd be bothered by my doctors assuming I was too incompetent to count my calories properly, but then there's a reason I am not a good person to do a doctor managed approach and did this on my own.)

I don't think it's responsible, though, to tell a population at MFP who commonly are eating at 1200 and the maximum recommended deficit (1000 calories) that they should also exercise vigorously and not eat any extra calories to account for it. Unless you are regularly losing more than 2 lbs/week, you aren't doing that yourself, yet you consistently recommend it to people.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    There are a zillion threads on this. The bottom line is that MFP calculates your daily intake at a deficit that is designed for you to lose weight based on your energy needs without any extra exercise. So any exercise calories you add on top of that are supposed to be eaten to keep your daily calorie deficit at the proper level (to lose, say 1lb a week, or whatever you set it to).

So should I input my daily exercise and will I lose more if I don't?

I input mine just to have an ongoing record of how I'm doing on exercising, but I do that more to stay on-track (not too hard though, I do exercises I love) and just to have a record of how much I'm exercising.

I generally don't eat back my exercise calories. My personal feeling is that MFP way overestimates calorie burn for a whole number of different exercises/workouts. On a very hungry day, I'll eat back some of them, up to about half.

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    BODY WEIGHT IS INVOLUNTARILY REGULATED. OBESITY IS NOT A SIMPLE CONDITION OF MERE OVEREATING. LOTS OF THIN PEOPLE OVEREAT.....

BODY FATNESS IS A BIOLOGICALLY REGULATED PROCESS, NOT the passive result of eating and exercise behaviors......

Wow! Really? So it wasn't years of overeating and being a lazy-*kitten* that got me to 364lbs! Totally not my fault then! So, I guess that means I can quit MFP, stop exercising, and stop watching what I eat then, cause based on what you're saying, that wont help me lose weight......

So... it's just coincidence that I've lost 30+lbs since I've been using MFP?

Thank you SO much!

</sarcasm>
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Both my dietician and weight doctor (he's an endocrinologist specializing in weight issues)
    say to ignore exercise calories. They're a bonus toward losing weight.
    That's been working for me.
    Most people underestimate what they eat,
    and most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    For most people, most of the time, those errors more or less cancel out.
    If you're really hungry at the end of the day once in a while, eat 1/3 to 1/2 of your exercise calories.
    wolfman wrote:
    As to why you wouldn't want to just forgo those calories to potentially
    lose faster? Well, part of being healthy and fit is actually learning how to
    fuel your body and your activities. Underfeeding your body can lead to
    recovery issues and injury while training... you shouldn't underfeed and train.
    I've been eating below my BMR for over a year now (minus a few days here & there
    like Thanksgiving) and my doctors are happy with both my overall health &
    my progress in losing weight. That's considerably below the TDEE/MFP method.
    Things might be different when someone is close to or at an ideal weight.
    51637601.png

There is no TDEE/MFP method. The two methods are different, and neither has anything to do with not eating below BMR. (Not undereating means not having too extreme a deficit, which MFP caps at 1000 and TDEE method usually makes 20%, although I cut 500 calories off when I started doing it.)

My first several months here I routinely lost 2 lbs/week (sometimes up to 3 lbs) while eating back a good portion of my exercise calories. Yet according to you I should have eaten less because I must have been underestimating my calories eaten and overestimating my calories burned. I disagree and would suggest that aiming for a greater weight loss with the level of activity I was doing would have been underfeeding my body.

Your doctors' approach seems to work if someone really doesn't do a good job estimating calories, and maybe that's common (I've been half***ing it lately and am not doing a good job or losing, but I'm also 5 lbs from goal). However, some people fall on the other side of the scale and might habitually overestimate their calories or underestimate their activity. A good way to check on this is to look at how much you are actually losing per week. (As a personal matter, I'd be bothered by my doctors assuming I was too incompetent to count my calories properly, but then there's a reason I am not a good person to do a doctor managed approach and did this on my own.)

I don't think it's responsible, though, to tell a population at MFP who commonly are eating at 1200 and the maximum recommended deficit (1000 calories) that they should also exercise vigorously and not eat any extra calories to account for it. Unless you are regularly losing more than 2 lbs/week, you aren't doing that yourself, yet you consistently recommend it to people.

very much love for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories. Remember, most are overestimated, so most eat about half back, to account for miscalculations.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    BODY WEIGHT IS INVOLUNTARILY REGULATED. OBESITY IS NOT A SIMPLE CONDITION OF MERE OVEREATING. LOTS OF THIN PEOPLE OVEREAT.....

BODY FATNESS IS A BIOLOGICALLY REGULATED PROCESS, NOT the passive result of eating and exercise behaviors......

Hey, you're back dude! It's been a while!
  • tracetraceau
    tracetraceau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so bloody confused now reading this post. I walk around 15kms a day and MFP has me at 1200 calories and I burn between 500-700 average calories a day which brings my net down to approx 700-800, some people tell me I'm not eating enough , others tell me to eat more, others tell me I'm fine....... reading this post .... has made me more confused !
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There is no TDEE/MFP method.

Sure there is. Just set a custom goal for whatever your TDEE-% calories are, and don't log exercise calories.

Tons of MFPers do it that way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm so bloody confused now reading this post. I walk around 15kms a day and MFP has me at 1200 calories and I burn between 500-700 average calories a day which brings my net down to approx 700-800, some people tell me I'm not eating enough , others tell me to eat more, others tell me I'm fine....... reading this post .... has made me more confused !

What are you confused about?

MFP says if you do know exercise you should eat 1200

You go out and walk for 15kms and burn an extra 500-700 calories now MFP says "oy, you said you weren't exercising and now you've used an extra 500 calories ...eat them please"

So you eat them, and they make you happy because you expand your diet and fuel your body for your next walk

• helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

My net calories are 1430 a day, I earn say 300 calories running for 30 minutes. So I can eat 1730 that day and still lose my target 1lb per week.

As previously stated I try to not eat back all of my 300 calories that I have earned as MFP over estimates.

If I'm right in saying it's not healthy to go under 1200 calories per day, which it looks like you are if you go for a long walk.

You net is 1200 + 700 calories walking - so on that day you can eat 1900 and still loose you target.

I hope this makes it clearer? :smiley: