Shin Bone Pain

Options
I am in a fitness group right now, trying to lose weight and to eat healthier. Yesterday, we were doing sprints, and my right shin started to hurt. Its not shin splints, I know what they feel like. It feels like the actual bone, or something. I have a decent new pair of shoes, and when I just jog my shins feel fine. Today, it still hurts. I was thinking, since we are suppose to run tomorrow, that if it gets worse I will mention it to my instructor.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Is it on the outside part of your bone? As opposed to shin splints which hurt towards the inside of your leg.

Also, does it feel prickly? Like needles?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is an injury you must resolve before you run on it any more.
  • Michael_Smerbeck
    Michael_Smerbeck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's on the left front of my right leg. I've had shin splints before, so I know what they feel like. Now that I think about it, I probably should bring it up before I run again.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    It's on the left front of my right leg. I've had shin splints before, so I know what they feel like. Now that I think about it, I probably should bring it up before I run again.

It's not the exact right spot for what I'm thining, but you may still want to look into compartment syndrome.

And, yes, you should probably have it checked out before you unintentionally make it worse.
  • Michael_Smerbeck
    Options
    I just googled compartment syndrome, and that sounds really scary and extremely painful.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I just googled compartment syndrome, and that sounds really scary and extremely painful.

Acute compartment syndrome is very scary. I have chronic compartment syndrome in my right leg. It is very painful after about 800 meters of running. It feels prickly. So I pretty much gave up running.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re concerned this is a medical condition, you should see a doctor.

If it isn’t a medical condition, then consider this:

When you bought the shoes, was your running style analyzed? We all have different styles and need different shoes for running. My feet pronate, so I need stable shoes. Others need padding or inserts.

What kind of surface were you running on? Hard surfaces (like concrete) are less forgiving than grass or asphalt.

Are you doing any form of mobility and stretching before and after you run? I have a muscle that gets overactive when I walk, run or jump. I do self-myfascial release before and after activities that cause it to tighten up.

Are you drinking enough water? Or are you on medications that would cause this? Dehydration (and when I was on statins) have caused shin and calf pain for me before.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When you bought the shoes, was your running style analyzed? We all have different styles and need different shoes for running. My feet pronate, so I need stable shoes. Others need padding or inserts.

^^This. Totally this. Proper analysis of my gait and properly fitted shoes ended my lower leg/shin pain that I suffered with for years. ETA now I can tell exactly when I need to buy new shoes...the pain starts to come back.

• Michael_Smerbeck
    Options
    I bought shoes that actually have padding. It's weird, I jogged last week and my legs felt fine; no shin splints or any discomfort. On Monday, I did sprints and that's when the pain started. I must say, all these times I've ran it's been on the track made of the rubber material. Not sure what's it's called.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I bought shoes that actually have padding. It's weird, I jogged last week and my legs felt fine; no shin splints or any discomfort. On Monday, I did sprints and that's when the pain started. I must say, all these times I've ran it's been on the track made of the rubber material. Not sure what's it's called.
    Sprints are explosive versus just jogging. More than likely you strained either a tendon or even one of the smaller muscles. Also may be periostitis. Only real way to find out is to go to an orthopedist (one who specializes is sports injury is even better).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png