Ive never set foot in a gym

Options
And im nervous!! Ive been running and training for my first half marathon and I know I need to get other exercise in -but im so nervous. I don't know anything about any equipment. I feel like I wouldn't know whats the best to start with? how to use it? how to clean it when im done? and im embarrassed to ask these questions to a person face to face (lame I know) ive lost 35 lbs since ive started my weight loss journey and have hit another plateau-I know I need to go but really, im still very insecure- I wish I had someone to come with me but its just me-whats the best way to jump in this without feeling ridiculous?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What facility are you looking at?

Many facilities will offer some sort of orientation, and a few will help set you up with a program that should include a handful of training sessions to get you going.

Depends upon the facility though. With a little research, you'll be able to set up your own program in no time.

A good place to start might be "Starting Strength" or "New Rules for Lifting".
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You need to find a routine first. After that, search YouTube to see how to properly perform the lifts in that routine. Then just go to the gym and do it.
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    does your gym offer personal trainers? it might be a good idea to sign up for just a few hours with one to learn how to use the equipment but also figure out what strength exercises you should be doing to help you reach your goal of completing a half marathon. as one example, i'm training for a 5K (and hope to someday run a half marathon!) -- my trainer has me doing bodyweight/core/strength exercises 2-3 days/week and running 3 days/week. she's a running coach and i completely trust her. it was a huge eye-opener for me because i thought -- if i want to run, i should just run. but it was hard! thankfully, now running is getting easier because i am stronger overall.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! I have a free gym membership through hubby's work, but I'm too nervous to go in there and actually use it.
    I'm super introverted and like to know what I can expect long before I show up for something. I don't like learning in front of other people!
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Kayna, what gym did you join? I'm about 50 minutes north of you but would be up for helping get you started! Congrats on training for your first 1/2 and already dropping 35!
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! Maybe you can start by finding a woman's only gym where you may feel more comfortable or even go to a gym where they have classes or get a trainer for a few sessions to show you the ropes. A lot of machines will have pictures describing what to do and how to do it. Do you have any friends who will go with you to make the experience a little less intimidating? I go to a gym called OrangeTheory Fitness and it's amazing - you may want to look into something like that rather than a regular gym. It's all about what's going to keep you motivated and inspired. You'll be a regular after going a few times!
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion but if you choose to start a gym membership and they don't offer some training on the equipment in their own facility I'd change gym's. I feel a gym and the staff within it are there to support me, whatever dumb question I may have I'm positive I'm not the only one that's ever asked it.

I joined a gym 3 months ago and was totally afraid of weight machines, sweaty dudes with big muscles over there... thought to myself that's no place for me to be... then I met with a trainer and he explained the only way I can change my body's shape is to do the weight training. I can do cardio workouts all day long but I'll still end up looking pair shaped, smaller pair but still a pair...

Some gym's offer a 10 day pass or maybe even 2 weeks, try that and I promise you'll find out there are people there with the same questions you have and maybe the same fears.
  • scolloby
    scolloby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In the UK most gyms insist that you have a proper induction before you start for health and safety reasons - so someone from the gym will talk to you about your goals, etc, and show you equipment/machines that can help you achieve those goals safely, suggesting exercises for you with the number of reps, etc. And if you forget they're happy to show you again. I also asked which session times were the best for someone like me who is not young, is female and was worried about the same things as you. No problem, they're used to that. The gym I use is part of a large sports facility that is used by all ages and all backgrounds. So although there are some guys who are clearly built like tanks, there are others who are accompanied by health professionals (because they may have recently had heart surgery) or guides (there are a couple of blind people who use the treadmill). No one at the gym I use is critical (or look in a critical way) as I use the weights machines - everyone seems to have a 'good on you for doing it' attitude. So bottom line - pick a gym that suits you.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's just like starting a new job. A little awkward the first few days trying to figure everything out but then you're a pro. Then you'll see newbies wandering around trying to find the dang locker room (this was me last night at a new gym I was checking out!) and be like "awww newbies! I was there once!" and maybe you'll be nice and point them in the right direction. :) But yeah, you'll be totally fine. Just walk around and try out a few of the weight machines if you want. You can even watch people around you and see how they use the machines, but there's usually instructions with pictures on each machine. If that's too intimidating, just hang out on the treadmill and watch people for a while. There are no rules on how to approach this! Just promise yourself you will go and then it will be easy-peasy after that.
  • kayna1225
    kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    You sound just like me! I have a free gym membership through hubby's work, but I'm too nervous to go in there and actually use it.
    I'm super introverted and like to know what I can expect long before I show up for something. I don't like learning in front of other people!

This is exactly how I feel! But I cant thank you guys for the advice. .its great and I honestly appreciate the support!! I have not joined a gym yet but there is one near that has a woman's only part...I cant thank you guys enough!!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just get an orientation. It might be helpful to think about what you want to achieve, even if it's a bit vague ("I want to get stronger", or "I want to do a pull-up" etc.), so you can ask the person helping you. It makes their lives easier if you give them some direction. And no one else there will be interested in what you're doing, so don't feel silly.

Also, if you don't like the gym you're at, you can always switch. Just watch the cancellation clauses in any contract.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There was an online gym orientation on nerdfitness I think
  • kayna1225
    kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did it!! I went for 1.5hrs ...it was "leg day" and im proud to say I feel it today! I even had to cut my run a little short because I felt sore. Lol what a beginner. ..but it wasn't terrible. ...it wasnt easy but ill get there :) thanks everyone! !