Am I overdoing it?

Options
dennyman100
dennyman100 Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am in week 3 of my exercising and I am just wondering if some might think I am overdoing it (did I bite off more than I can chew kinda thing). The following is my weekly routine:

MWF:
Go to the gym at 6 AM and start off slowly with core exercises. Then I move to weights lifting no more than 25 lbs (I am not trying to develop muscle mass just tone up). The weights generally consist of dumbbell curls, bench press, and weighted squats. After I complete 3 sets of the weights I go to the treadmill and walk 1 mile on an incline. Total workout time ~45 Min. After work (I am a teacher and a researcher) I go home and walk the dog for 4-5 miles which generally takes 1.25-.5 hours.

Total Day Workout Time: 2-2.5 hours

TTH:
I get to the gym again at 6 AM and warm up with the core exercises. Then I work on the elliptical for 30 minutes at a pace of 7 mph with a medium resistance. After work I go home and run with the dog for 3 miles which takes around 30-40 minutes. When I get back from the run I do light lifting with dumbbells (no more than 15 lbs), and I finish my workout with yoga stretching which lasts for ~40 min. Total afternoon workout time is around 1.5-2 hours.

Total Day Workout Time: 2-2.5 hours

Sat:
Gym opens at 8 AM so I again warm up with slow core exercises followed by an hour swim in the pool.

Total Day Workout Time: 1-1.5 hours

Sun:
No exercise scheduled however I clean the house and walk the dog, ETC.

Total Weekly Workout Time:
5-6.5 hours

I have just started this cycle this last weekend, and so far my body has not responded negatively to it but I am no personal trainer. So if anyone who works in any sort of position that could give me feedback on my workouts I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You're not going to develop much muscle mass in a deficit anyway since to gain muscle you need a surplus.

you'll achieve your "toning" goals better with a structure program like SL than during curls.

I'm also assuming you walked your dog while gaining weight so that's not part of a workout. Running with the pup probably is. But walking your dog should already be included in your base activity level
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    There are a couple way to "overdo" it:

1. Work out so much that it's interfering with the rest of your life (work, family), stressing you out, or making you feel guilty when *not* working out or even not working out as much as usual

2. The physiological impact of actual overtraining syndrome

It is very, very hard for the casual exerciser to develop real overtraining syndrome. You'd have to be doing multiple hours a day of hard cardio or serious, serious lifting to get there. Only you can answer the first part. It does look like you're actually doing a great job of integrating exercise with your life--love seeing that you walk and run with your dog! :)

The one thing that stands out to me is how frequently you're just lifting light weights. I can't imagine you're getting a lot of benefit from that. "Toning up" is a myth. You gain muscle definition by first of all losing the fat that obscures it, and secondly actually building muscle. Even strength gains in the existing muscle mass that you have really should call for a rest day in between each time you lift. Fitness gains don't happen during a workout, they happen during the recovery period.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You don't want to use more than 15lb dumbbells. Can't tell if you're trolling or not.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    You don't want to use more than 15lb dumbbells. Can't tell if you're trolling or not.

or just new to fitness/believes what the fitness rags say...
  • dennyman100
    Options
    For the walking the dog, it was hard to do here with the temp being -30 everyday so no its not a normal activity. It just go warm enough to walk the dog so I started that last week. As for the 15lb the reason I stated that was I lifted them everyday and I had no strength whatsoever and after the second day I was hurting really badly to the point where I could barely lift my arms. So thats why I choose 15lbs for the max at the moment. I can go up to 50 at my set at home and the gym has 150lb dumbbells however, I doubt I will ever go that far.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Toning up and exercise will help but the calorie intake control will make it complete. If you log everything and adjust your diet from here on out you will have a complete system for success. Over doing it? As long as you feel good do it. When you get close to your ideal weight you can scale back on the exercise or up your calories.
  • dennyman100
    Options

Also, its these types of comments that make you look at yourself and feel terrible. I know I'm not strong enough to do a massive amounts of weightlifting and when I read your comment it really hurt. I took a few minutes and said "meh" I am married to a wonderful wife, working on a PHD in Chemistry, have a job lined up paying right at 6 figures, have no bad vices/habits, and have a lovely support group around me. And determined that your comment means nothing.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options

or just new to fitness/believes what the fitness rags say...

Okay just checking. Wasn't sure.
    For the walking the dog, it was hard to do here with the temp being -30 everyday so no its not a normal activity. It just go warm enough to walk the dog so I started that last week. As for the 15lb the reason I stated that was I lifted them everyday and I had no strength whatsoever and after the second day I was hurting really badly to the point where I could barely lift my arms. So thats why I choose 15lbs for the max at the moment. I can go up to 50 at my set at home and the gym has 150lb dumbbells however, I doubt I will ever go that far.

Well what I would suggest is you follow an already-established beginner routine, instead of making up your own. There's a few good ones out there. I suggest ICF 5x5:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

It's a pretty typical full-body routine but with a few isolation exercises thrown in.

Don't limit yourself. Strive to progress and get stronger. One day you just might be using those 150lb dumbbells.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

If you plan on walking your dog daily, which depending on the breed of the dog you should have been doing even in -30F, it should be a part of your daily activity. So instead of sedentary, or even lightly active, put moderately active - especially if you're doing 4-5mi daily.

You were hurting since it was a new activity for you and you probably started with too much weight/too many sets/reps for your ability. But you're going to ache when you start a new lifting routine, that's just how it is.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was told that if you over do it your sore for longer than 24 hours I doubt your over doing it I am over weight and do zumba 3 times a week spin class 3 times a week kick boxing 1 a week and yoga 2 a week. For a total of 9 hours a week of fitness 7 of that HIGH cardio classes and I am only occasionally sore in my shoulders and legs but never more than a day. You should shorten your walk to a run for 2 miles should take 30 mins max and change up your machines occasionally or take a class.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Such helpful advice. SMH!

OP, if you are eating enough food to fuel your body for that amount of activity, and it is not making you feel run down than I would say you are fine. I understand the light weight at first thing, but from experience I can tell you that eventually you will most likely want to add heavier weight (it becomes an addiction :smile: ) If and when you do add heavy lifts to your routine you will most likely want to add more rest to your schedule as your muscles will need time to recover. Good luck to you!