More Calories (but not sugar or carbs)

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    you eat 1600 and you exercise off how many?

I don't know your stats - but you say your TDEE is 1800? Is that your real TDEE eg BMR+activity level+purposeful exercise or is that MFP set maintenance figure?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    lwatson0 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Thanks to a few of my MFP friends I was made aware that I was consuming way too many carbs and sugar, I've turned my diet around from today and already it's proving to be successful as carbs and sugar are where they should be (plus I feel good!). The only thing is, my calories are WAY under. I've not put in dinner yet, but it'll still leave me with around 300-400 spare. Any suggestions of snacks/lunch options to add to what I'm having that won't affect my carb/sugar intake too much? :)

These people are not your friends

Unless you want to be low carb

Otherwise it won't affect your diet as long as you stick to calorie defecit and keep an eye on adequate protein

so do what you want in terms of food intake

My daily carb intake was over 60%, with sugar coming in at 70/80g per day. Pretty sure they're right in saying that's a little too much?

My daily carb intake is 50-60% (250-300g generally)

My protein is around 100g based on 0.8g of Protein per lb of LBM

I have no medical conditions that mean I have to watch either carb or sugar intake and have a generally nutritious diet with lots of vegetables and lean proteins

I lost 50lb in 9 months and am currently trying to maintain

I'm pretty sure they are wrong ... as a hard and fast rule

Unless you want to cut carbs and sugars for any other reason - in which case do it

But needing to .. nah!

There's absolutely no need to be afraid of eating carbs, none whatsoever. However, the OPs high sugar intake was coming from refined sugars added to foods offering no nutritional value whatsoever. These empty calories were subsequently using up her daily calorie allowance and creating a deficiency in other areas like protein (some days coming in at 28g of protein a day) and unable to consume more because calories had been used up eating refined sugar.

So whether you see sugar as a demon or not, if it's taking up a disproportionally high percentage of your daily calorie intake and preventing you from eating enough protein, then it's a good idea to cut back.

I would never suggest cutting back on carbs from a nutritional point of view provided that they are nutritious, unprocessed whole food sources. But, I'm sorry, to suggest to someone that they are ok to fill their calorie quota with refined sugars when it's at the expense of other nutrients is highly irresponsible. (And to use the argument that you lost weight while eating high amounts sugar therefore it can't be bad for you is missing the point entirely).

Then that means carbohydrates overall were out of balance, not refined sugar. Sugar is pretty much just carbs.

Looking at her diary, she is always under on calories. Both under her NET goal and under her GROSS goal. Her net goal is 1800, meaning this is what she should be eating EVERY DAY when she doesn't work out. On Monday she had 1522 calories, which is 278 calories below her NET needs. She then burned extra through exercise, being short an extra 200-some calories.

Her fat is also generally low. She has a day where she only logged 800-some calories - did she only eat that much?

Going back to that same day... her apple and banana each had more sugar in them than her popcorn. So....

OP is also not logging accurately (measuring solids instead of weighing, although weighing isn't required but will be more accurate; using generic recipes; using weighted entries for foods she's probably only measuring) so for all we know her carbs and sugars are actually lower than what her log shows. SHe will only know how much sugar and carbs she's truly eating once she cleans up her logging.

My logging is fine, thanks. I weigh everything. I didn't add my dinner in on one of the days because I had a takeout and physically couldn't weight everything as A. it would of gone cold and B. I would of missed actually eating with my family.

If you weigh everything then why these:
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
    Lettuce - Iceberg (includes crisphead types), raw, 1 cup shredded
    Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 2 ring (3" dia, 1/4" thick)
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long)
    Ham - Sliced, extra lean, 1 slice(s) (what kind of ham is this, what brand if it's not just straight ham on the bone you roasted yourself? How thin/thick was your slice? My ham slices are about 2-3x thicker than what my mom slices, and 2-3x thicker than what the label states should be a serving. Is this a slice of cooked or raw ham?).
    Peppers - Jalapeno, raw, 1 tbsp(s)
    Powerbeck - Whey Protein Powder, 0.25 scoops (how did you manage filling it exactly 1 quarter of the way? Many of my PPs have serving sizes in grams that don't actually fit the scoop)
    Generic - Homemade Banana Cake, 0.75 piece (again, how much is "a piece"? and generic = probably from the database)
    Wetherspoons Breakfast - Pancakes With Bacon and Maple-Flavour Syrup, 1 plate -- is this a restaurant? If not then wtf is this entry?
    Strawberries - Raw, 5 medium (1-1/4" dia)
    Quavers - Crisps - Multipack, 1 bag
    Raspberries - Raw, 5 raspberries

This is all just going back a week (I included tomorrow's stuff). And isn't including the repeated loggings of unweighed fruits and veggies or the unweighed prepackaged items because not everyone chooses to weigh those (although the majority of prepackaged foods I've eaten do NOT amount to their label weight and I only don't weigh very specific prepackaged foods).

If you eat take out just look it up in the database and log it so that you can actually use your data.

No reason to get butt-hurt when someone points out issues with your logging. The purpose of an open log is for people to let you know where you can improve.

• katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I don't know your stats - but you say your TDEE is 1800? Is that your real TDEE eg BMR+activity level+purposeful exercise or is that MFP set maintenance figure?

That's what MFP set me based on maintenance at 120lbs (I burn 200-300 calories a day, five days a week)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you have set it to maintenance, why are you eating at 1600? I would eat my allotted calories. I'm all about eating as I plan to continue on, so carbs and sugar are definitely a part of my diet.
  • ana3067
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think I'm in a calorie deficit, how do I know!?

Easiest way is to track your calories accurately for 4-6 weeks and see if you lose weight or are the same weight (or if you weigh more). Calculators estimate your calorie needs, so it boils down to what your body does at a particular calorie level. If you've set MFP to maintain, you are likely not in a deficit (although some people find the maintenance setting too low, so you might be in a slight deficit). If you've set it to lose, then you are likely in a deficit.

I've set it to maintenance (1800 cals a day) but I haven't met that yet, more like 1600.

You are in a deficit. especially when you count the days you fail to eat back your exercise calories, as on those days your maintenance is higher and you are creating a larger deficit.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks to a few of my MFP friends I was made aware that I was consuming way too many carbs and sugar, I've turned my diet around from today and already it's proving to be successful as carbs and sugar are where they should be (plus I feel good!). The only thing is, my calories are WAY under. I've not put in dinner yet, but it'll still leave me with around 300-400 spare. Any suggestions of snacks/lunch options to add to what I'm having that won't affect my carb/sugar intake too much? :)

Otherwise it won't affect your diet as long as you stick to calorie defecit and keep an eye on adequate protein

My daily carb intake was over 60%, with sugar coming in at 70/80g per day. Pretty sure they're right in saying that's a little too much?

I have no medical conditions that mean I have to watch either carb or sugar intake and have a generally nutritious diet with lots of vegetables and lean proteins

Unless you want to cut carbs and sugars for any other reason - in which case do it

But needing to .. nah!

There's absolutely no need to be afraid of eating carbs, none whatsoever. However, the OPs high sugar intake was coming from refined sugars added to foods offering no nutritional value whatsoever. These empty calories were subsequently using up her daily calorie allowance and creating a deficiency in other areas like protein (some days coming in at 28g of protein a day) and unable to consume more because calories had been used up eating refined sugar.

So whether you see sugar as a demon or not, if it's taking up a disproportionally high percentage of your daily calorie intake and preventing you from eating enough protein, then it's a good idea to cut back.

I would never suggest cutting back on carbs from a nutritional point of view provided that they are nutritious, unprocessed whole food sources. But, I'm sorry, to suggest to someone that they are ok to fill their calorie quota with refined sugars when it's at the expense of other nutrients is highly irresponsible. (And to use the argument that you lost weight while eating high amounts sugar therefore it can't be bad for you is missing the point entirely).

Then that means carbohydrates overall were out of balance, not refined sugar. Sugar is pretty much just carbs.

Looking at her diary, she is always under on calories. Both under her NET goal and under her GROSS goal. Her net goal is 1800, meaning this is what she should be eating EVERY DAY when she doesn't work out. On Monday she had 1522 calories, which is 278 calories below her NET needs. She then burned extra through exercise, being short an extra 200-some calories.

Her fat is also generally low. She has a day where she only logged 800-some calories - did she only eat that much?

Going back to that same day... her apple and banana each had more sugar in them than her popcorn. So....

OP is also not logging accurately (measuring solids instead of weighing, although weighing isn't required but will be more accurate; using generic recipes; using weighted entries for foods she's probably only measuring) so for all we know her carbs and sugars are actually lower than what her log shows. SHe will only know how much sugar and carbs she's truly eating once she cleans up her logging.

My logging is fine, thanks. I weigh everything. I didn't add my dinner in on one of the days because I had a takeout and physically couldn't weight everything as A. it would of gone cold and B. I would of missed actually eating with my family.

Ham - Sliced, extra lean, 1 slice(s) (what kind of ham is this, what brand if it's not just straight ham on the bone you roasted yourself? How thin/thick was your slice? My ham slices are about 2-3x thicker than what my mom slices, and 2-3x thicker than what the label states should be a serving. Is this a slice of cooked or raw ham?).
    Powerbeck - Whey Protein Powder, 0.25 scoops (how did you manage filling it exactly 1 quarter of the way? Many of my PPs have serving sizes in grams that don't actually fit the scoop)
    Generic - Homemade Banana Cake, 0.75 piece (again, how much is "a piece"? and generic = probably from the database)
    Wetherspoons Breakfast - Pancakes With Bacon and Maple-Flavour Syrup, 1 plate -- is this a restaurant? If not then wtf is this entry?

This is all just going back a week (I included tomorrow's stuff). And isn't including the repeated loggings of unweighed fruits and veggies or the unweighed prepackaged items because not everyone chooses to weigh those (although the majority of prepackaged foods I've eaten do NOT amount to their label weight and I only don't weigh very specific prepackaged foods).

If you eat take out just look it up in the database and log it so that you can actually use your data.

No reason to get butt-hurt when someone points out issues with your logging. The purpose of an open log is for people to let you know where you can improve.

I put those things in that way because I spent a year weighing them. I know exactly what they are calorie wise as I have the same brand, same amount, day in day out.

Yes - that was a restaurant meal so cannot be exact. It was a one off.

I alter the amounts for things I'm unsure of (e.g. the protein) until it matches the amount of grams I'm eating in whatever weight form they're suggesting.

Not everything can be 100% obviously, but the majority of what I eat is absolutely exact, I promise you.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

That's what MFP set me based on maintenance at 120lbs (I burn 200-300 calories a day, five days a week)

MFP GOALS ARE NOT TDEE - this is your issue

MFP goals even for maintenance are based on BMR + your stated activity level

So it is telling you before exercise eat 1800 calories, then you exercise off 300 so you should eat 2100

But you're grossing 1500 so netting 1200

hence lethargy
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Easiest way is to track your calories accurately for 4-6 weeks and see if you lose weight or are the same weight (or if you weigh more). Calculators estimate your calorie needs, so it boils down to what your body does at a particular calorie level. If you've set MFP to maintain, you are likely not in a deficit (although some people find the maintenance setting too low, so you might be in a slight deficit). If you've set it to lose, then you are likely in a deficit.

I've set it to maintenance (1800 cals a day) but I haven't met that yet, more like 1600.

You are in a deficit. especially when you count the days you fail to eat back your exercise calories, as on those days your maintenance is higher and you are creating a larger deficit.

Ok thanks - glad I'm in a deficit
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    Options

So it is telling you before exercise eat 1800 calories, then you exercise off 300 so you should eat 2100

hence lethargy

Yup. Scooby's calc at 3-5hrs a week exercise puts OP at estimated 2000 maintenance with exercise. And adding up 2100*5 + 1800*2 / 7 = 2014 so about the same maintenance estimate.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

hence lethargy

What is TDEE? Not heard of it before
  • ana3067
    Options

But needing to .. nah!

I put those things in that way because I spent a year weighing them. I know exactly what they are calorie wise as I have the same brand, same amount, day in day out.

I alter the amounts for things I'm unsure of (e.g. the protein) until it matches the amount of grams I'm eating in whatever weight form they're suggesting.

Not everything can be 100% obviously, but the majority of what I eat is absolutely exact, I promise you.
    I've spent about a year eating those things as well... I still weigh them or estimate by weight. Which will be more accurate than estimating by size and volume.

And as already mentioned, you're simply not eating enough so that is waht you should be working on, not your carbs/sugars.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

hence lethargy

Apparently my TDEE is 1879 - so not far off
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

But needing to .. nah!

I've spent about a year eating those things as well... I still weigh them or estimate by weight. Which will be more accurate than estimating by size and volume.

And as already mentioned, you're simply not eating enough so that is waht you should be working on, not your carbs/sugars.

Ok thank you
  • Sued0nim
    Options

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate - how many calories your body would burn if you were in a coma say, just to exist

NEAT (the MFP Calories) = BMR + Activity Level (eg how many calories you burn just getting up, pottering, going to work)

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expendiure = BMR plus Activity Level plus purposeful exercise

• ana3067
    Options

hence lethargy

Unlikely unless you inputted your MFP activity level to include exercise. MFP numbers will always be lower than TDEE calculators unless you use a calculator with the wrong information or just use a poor calculator (e.g. IIFYM estimates way low for most people).
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

hence lethargy

Unlikely unless you inputted your MFP activity level to include exercise. MFP numbers will always be lower than TDEE calculators unless you use a calculator with the wrong information or just use a poor calculator (e.g. IIFYM estimates way low for most people).

Ah I used the IIFYM one, what do you reckon it'd be then realistically?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    [Wetherspoons Breakfast - Pancakes With Bacon and Maple-Flavour Syrup, 1 plate -- is this a restaurant? If not then wtf is this entry?

@ana3067 - slightly OT but yes, Wetherspoons is a pub/restaurant chain in the UK whose full nutritional info is listed on their website.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I'm confused, you said on the first page that you are in maintenance, that you don't want to lose more weight, just 'lose fat and tone', but here you're excited to be in a deficit. Which is it?

If I was feeling lethargic, I would look to make sure I was eating enough, and getting enough sleep.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I'm confused, you said on the first page that you are in maintenance, that you don't want to lose more weight, just 'lose fat and tone', but here you're excited to be in a deficit. Which is it?

If I was feeling lethargic, I would look to make sure I was eating enough, and getting enough sleep.

agree, this thread has massively confused me..

can't tell if OP is trying to lose, maintain, etc...

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This. I feel like we're going around in circles. Especially since you had other threads where it was suggested you should focus on improving your body composition by focusing on progressive resistance training and eating at maintenance. At your current intake, you will likely lose half a pound to a pound a week, which you said you did not want to do. Eat more.