Anyone feel like you're in on a big secret with MFP?

Options
lewispwest
lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
It's like, there's this multi-million dollar industry around diets and weight loss pills etc catering to people who want quick solutions to life-long habits but here we are on MFP where it just works.

I feel like I'm in on a big secret that the rest of the world doesn't know about, otherwise why would they go on all these daft fad diets and spend a fortune on crazy pills from the internet?

Madness!

62155664.png

Replies

• primrose2572
    primrose2572 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I certainly do!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Yes! I so agree with you. But, when people ask me "how" I'm losing weight, the majority are very disappointed I'm not doing some woo-woo plan and generally those who ask for details end up getting glassy-eyed after just a couple sentences of my details about MFP.

So, I don't say too much anymore unless someone is seriously interested.

55835802.png
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think the world is pretty aware of MFP. I thought I was doing a service to my FB friends when I posted about it, and about a dozen of them, including my stepdaughter in England, said they use it. One friend even said her doctor recommended she begin using it. Now, why didn't any of my friends tell me about it ages ago??
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I got introduced to MFP by girls at work, but they are the same ones who are keep going on the 5:2 diet or buying crazy chinese pills off the internet rather than actually putting more than 3 days at a time into MFP!

62155664.png
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Not so much a secret when people refuse to accept truth.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Sometimes secrets are best kept well,

Secret :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Not so much a secret when people refuse to accept truth.

Exactly. Also Some people are lazy and do not want to try to lose weight so they go and buy nonsense thinking it will help them go into a calorie deficit.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't secret at all.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with OP. I'm learning that most people don't even want to hear it though. they are hoping for a magic weight loss cure where they don't have to do any of the work to get there.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MFP! I feel so "weird" doing things in real life, like running the track while waiting for my kids' school bus, or walking back and forth in my living room to get my "steps in." But here on MFP, it's all normal!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nah...plenty of people know about this...hell, pretty much all of my friends and colleagues know exactly how I lost all my weight...but they still insist that there has to be a short cut and an easier way.

Actually, for some people I think it's just easier to go on a prescribed diet than to count calories...as diets go, I'm actually a pretty big fan of South Beach...phase III in particular is pretty much how I eat generally (lean proteins, whole grains, fruit and veg, healthy fats from things like nuts, avocados, olives, olive oil, etc)...problem is that people don't take something like that and adopt it as a way of eating more or less permanently...as soon as they lose the weight they revert back to old habits...happens with calorie counters too...there are *kitten* tons of people who are here for the millionth time.

Regardless of how you lose weight, the only way to maintain anything is to adopt a healthful lifestyle in general...and that's where most people fail.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nope its very well known, espcially amongst trainers. Thats not to say there arent plenty of people who dont know about it.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Never knew about MFP until it was referenced in a book I read two months ago. I am SO glad to have found the secret clubhouse.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    I got introduced to MFP by girls at work, but they are the same ones who are keep going on the 5:2 diet or buying crazy chinese pills off the internet rather than actually putting more than 3 days at a time into MFP!
    @lewispwest

Perhaps you're not familiar with the 5:2 ? It's not considered a bogus plan on here, check it out, works quite well for some. :) It's intermittent fasting..

I'd never really thought of MFP as a secret..
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It's not that it's secret, but the fact is that it's hard work and requires someone to be accountable for their behavior, and it seems that people don't want to have to do that.

So yeah, I get that when people ask what I'm doing and they act almost disappointed when I'm not doing some trendy weight loss thing. Maybe that's partly consumerist culture - you can't buy it and you can't have it immediately.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yeah. there's a multi-billion (not million) dollar industry behind weight loss, meanwhile i downloaded a free app on Google Play Store which pulls revenue from in-app ads. i do wish i could get rid of ads for a one-time fee. i'm willing to pay $10! but that's not gonna happen since ads generate more per click over the course of your MFP journey which is possibly forever..
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think the world is pretty aware of MFP. I thought I was doing a service to my FB friends when I posted about it, and about a dozen of them, including my stepdaughter in England, said they use it. One friend even said her doctor recommended she begin using it. Now, why didn't any of my friends tell me about it ages ago??

Last time I was in the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle-upon-Tyne they had posters up advising people to use MFP. I gave it a knowing nod, like I was part of some cool club where all the other cool kids hang out. We should have a secret handshake for when we meet other MFP users to confirm our coolness. Maybe even have secret clubhouses all over the world for various different areas. And we can wear fancy robes and hats.

• Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    It's not that it's secret, but the fact is that it's hard work and requires someone to be accountable for their behavior, and it seems that people don't want to have to do that.

^ this - I work in an office of primarily women and when I started losing weight, they asked me how. I told them the truth.

Not one person looked into MFP. Instead, I've watched them drop tons of cash buying pills and drops and every other crazy thing on the market to promote "quick weight loss" and guess what - no one has lost weight but me.

Hard work pays off, always :sweat_smile:

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Haha yep, I know how you feel, OP!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's only a secret because most people don't want to hear about it... When I started losing weight, I was inundated with questions about how I was doing it - like the experience of many on this thread - no one listened once they discovered it wasn't a magic pill, etc... essentially "I want to lose weight, but I don't want to put forth any effort"

I have to say the best part at being at/near maintenance is that I no longer have to field these inquiries.