Help Help HELLLPPPPP!!!!

Options
What are some "tried and true" tips (based on personal experience, of course) to help curb late night snacking, and sadly sometimes meals. I work in an office and a controlled setting where I cannot just leave to go eat. It works out well for me during the day. It's when I get home where all bets are off and it's not controlled. I need some hints that have helped others like me. Thanks

Replies

• Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you've got calories left, go ahead and have a snack. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories. You could also just plan on having a snack and budget your calories to allow it.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinner a bit later in the evening, usually 6:30-7:00. That keeps me satisfied until bedtime.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    No reason to stop it unless eating late also means you feel sick at night. Best thing to do is make adjustments so you have the calories left over, and I would try to find some snacks that fill me up but also taste good :)

Some people find that pre-portioning stuff helps. That is, measuring out a serving of nuts, putting it in a bag, and repeating so you have a couple ready to go. Then you can just go grab 1, log it, and be done.

It's a choice you have to make in the end.

~Lyssa
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat a lot at night, so I save most of my calories for the evening. I have a light breakfast and lunch. Would this work for you?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Like they said, plan to allow for a late snack or meal. Either way, brush your teeth straight afterwards.
  • patpiepoli
    patpiepoli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hr shifts and am usually starving when I get home so I've started eating an apple or some low fat popcorn with some water to fill me up a bit on the ride home. I find I make better choices if I'm not so hungry when I walk in the door.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for the evening... I eat dinner sometimes as late as 11PM. It works for me.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Like they said, plan to allow for a late snack or meal. Either way, brush your teeth straight afterwards.

Purely curious, what does brushing your teeth have to do with late night meals besides for hygiene?
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Purely curious, what does brushing your teeth have to do with late night meals besides for hygiene?

I know once I've brushed my teeth I won't eat anything else so I won't have to brush them again. But I'm known to be somewhat lazy. :p
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I think it was brought up as a hygiene reminder.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Improve your nutrition. Maybe the cravings are your body telling you it needs something.

If you are an emotional eater or have a food addiction - identify the emotion...identify why you are eating to make yourself feel better.

Better planning of your free time..plan exactly what you are going to do when you get home put it in list form make it rewarding and fun (walk in the door, Do 20 minutes of yoga, take a shower and put on clean pajamas, fix a cup of tea, watch a favorite recorded television program)

If it is just a bad habit or cycle....Hot Tea is my secret weapon to break the cycle.
  • bostonultd1
    bostonultd1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    klund13 wrote: »

I think it was brought up as a hygiene reminder.

Ahh gotcha
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Brew a pot of decaf when you get home, and sip on it before & after dinner. Works for me!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein intake.

You'll stay fuller longer.
  • nadiha
    nadiha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    so i weigh my self on friday mornings, at 7 am every friday and even when i save my calories for the end of the day, i notice that there is an increase in weight when i eat at night than if i didnt. it could very well be a coincidence and it of course could be the type of food that may be causing this. but sometimes, it's just a self control issue ((Therapy time :smiley: )) i lost 40 lbs and kept off 30 for over 2 yrs, and the best thing that worked was not eating at night. i still need to lost about 25 more and im finding it hard. :neutral_face:
  • nadiha
    nadiha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Improve your nutrition. Maybe the cravings are your body telling you it needs something.

If you are an emotional eater or have a food addiction - identify the emotion...identify why you are eating to make yourself feel better.

Better planning of your free time..plan exactly what you are going to do when you get home put it in list form make it rewarding and fun (walk in the door, Do 20 minutes of yoga, take a shower and put on clean pajamas, fix a cup of tea, watch a favorite recorded television program)

If it is just a bad habit or cycle....Hot Tea is my secret weapon to break the cycle.

Thanks for this.... i"ll try some of these. :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. Then I decided to quit fighting it and just eat most of my calories at night. That's when I stopped gaining and starting losing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It's a trick that many people use. Food doesn't taste the same after just brushing your teeth so it helps some people stop eating.
  • Queerdrummer
    Queerdrummer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a full on late-night binger too. I can eat a huge meal when I get home (7pm) but if I stay up past bedtime (10pm) chances are I'll have a bowl of cereal, then another, then a 3rd before I can stop. If you know this is a problem for you, find tricks that will help you avoid a trap. Some of the above suggestions are great - saving calories specifically for late-night (not ideal, but better than binging!) or try setting a rock solid time, after which you don't eat anything. Doesn't always work for me, but sometimes it helps.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I eat ice lol really it helps me.