Help Help HELLLPPPPP!!!!

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    nadiha wrote: »
    so i weigh my self on friday mornings, at 7 am every friday and even when i save my calories for the end of the day, i notice that there is an increase in weight when i eat at night than if i didnt. it could very well be a coincidence and it of course could be the type of food that may be causing this. but sometimes, it's just a self control issue ((Therapy time :smiley: )) i lost 40 lbs and kept off 30 for over 2 yrs, and the best thing that worked was not eating at night. i still need to lost about 25 more and im finding it hard. :neutral_face:
    It's probably just the volume of food still in your system that is causing the bump on the scale. One week's weight vs. another week's weight doesn't really matter, because a ton of things can impact a single weigh-in (TOM, water retention, whether or not you were able to poop beforehand, etc.). The thing that matters is the trend over time. As long as you are weighing the same time and under the same conditions, you'll see a consistent trend over time.

• nadiha
    nadiha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a full on late-night binger too. I can eat a huge meal when I get home (7pm) but if I stay up past bedtime (10pm) chances are I'll have a bowl of cereal, then another, then a 3rd before I can stop. If you know this is a problem for you, find tricks that will help you avoid a trap. Some of the above suggestions are great - saving calories specifically for late-night (not ideal, but better than binging!) or try setting a rock solid time, after which you don't eat anything. Doesn't always work for me, but sometimes it helps.

HA!!! This is my exact problem.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Do something with your hands. Most of my snacking is subconscious while I'm doing something like watching TV or reading. Finding something else to do with my hands during that time helps a lot!

Also, you might organize some snacks for a set calorie limit, then build that into your day. I find if I leave 150 or so calories at the end of the day, if I feel like snacking I can have something, and if I don't, then I've got a bigger deficit for the day.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For my 6th meal of the day, I either have 1 oz of almonds or I have 1 T. of peanut butter with 2-3 saltines 2 1/2 hours before bed. If I stay up past that, I'm in trouble :)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm a night-shifter so I do most of my eating at night. Oh noes. As long as it fits your calories, eat yo.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add that others have not. As for weighing in on Friday mornings, I do this too at 5:30 a.m. I make sure that the night before I don't eat past 7:00 p.m. and don't eat any heavy carbs like pasta, bread or potatoes. When I do that, I get a more accurate weigh-in. Carbs tend to bloat me in the short term but works themselves out within about 24 hours. That is one reason why you may weigh more in the a.m.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Toothpaste is sweet, so brushing after you eat cleans your mouth of the taste of food, also give you a sort of clean sweet taste that makes you not want to eat.

I know it sounds weird, but it really does work. This is an old Weight Watchers tip, btw....
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Like they said, plan to allow for a late snack or meal. Either way, brush your teeth straight afterwards.

Purely curious, what does brushing your teeth have to do with late night meals besides for hygiene?

That don't help me!! If I get hungry, I'll find something to snack on and brush my teeth once more. :laugh:

I use most of my calories for night time... I finally realized that's when I get hungriest too. :flowerforyou:
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat a lot at night, so I save most of my calories for the evening. I have a light breakfast and lunch. Would this work for you?

This is me too. Also try to snack on less calorie foods at night so you can eat more. Try baby carrots. I also eat a pint of Artic Zero ice cream(150 cal). Whatever you can think of that is low calories and high quantity.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat a lot at night, so I save most of my calories for the evening. I have a light breakfast and lunch. Would this work for you?

This works wonders for me. It almost feels like im binging at night considering the size of my meals at night but it's all within calories.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you just cannot fight it! I have pre-cut bags of fresh veggies in my fridge at all times. Set that oven to 400*F, line a pan with foil and toss the veggies in with some garlic powder on top. 20-30 minutes later I have crispy crunchy "popcorn". Many people will toss their veggies in oil, but I can't taste the difference, so why bother? My favorites include:

"Popcorn-esque"
    Cabbage Disks & tsp Alfredo sauce (30-40min)
    Cauliflower & Sriracha (30 min)
    Brussel Sprouts (30min)
    Broccoli (30min)
    Green Beans (30min)

"Chip-esque"
    Kale (14min)
    Spinach (14min)

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's what I do. I have a set limit for breakfast and lunch, so over half of my calories are available at night. That way, if we eat out I'm ok, and if we eat in, I can have more later.
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    JustMe2691 wrote: »
    I eat my dinner a bit later in the evening, usually 6:30-7:00. That keeps me satisfied until bedtime.

my husband and i do this. we try to have a family meal twice a week but mainly we eat later so we're not snacking all evening. if we have an earlier meal with the kids, we end up getting the munchies later on.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Me too. It's 3:30 in the afternoon and I have eaten 30% of my daily calories so far. ~600 down, ~1100 to go.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When you eat is a habit. A deeply ingrained habit. You could try to break that habit. I have acid reflux issues and should not eat within 3 hours of bedtime, so I had to break the habit. But as others suggest, it is much easier to keep the habit and adjust calorie intake earlier in the day.
  • thirtypercentlessfat
    Options
    It's really hard on your body to eat right before you go to sleep.... go to bed slightly hungry and you will burn calories all night while you sleep. That's motivation for me... if you eat before bed you will spend the night having your body digesting food instead
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy snacks in the evening. Here are two tips so you don't go overboard:

1. Plan for a lot of low-cal, filling snacks. I usually have a 100 cal bowl of popcorn + strawberries with whipped cream + a diet soda (drink this on its own and enjoy the taste and savor it like a snack). And once or twice a week or so I also grab a small portion of fro-yo from Sweet Frog. There are lots of other snacks like this - a fruity homemade smoothie, veggies & hummus, etc etc.

2. Cook or bake something. Last week, I baked one serving of chocolate pancakes using a healthy recipe. This was a relatively time consuming process so even though I just had one little treat, it really felt like a big production.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Like they said, plan to allow for a late snack or meal. Either way, brush your teeth straight afterwards.

Purely curious, what does brushing your teeth have to do with late night meals besides for hygiene?

If I brush my teeth I'm not going to eat anything else b/c then I'll have to brush again.

I can't stand going to bed without my teeth brushed. But brushing is a chore. Is it worth it to have another snack? Not for me. That's a pretty big de-motivator for me.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I save about 300 calories for after dinner every night. I eat anything from a second small dinner, to gelato, and even sometimes gelato and toast with PB2 a little later. It's awesome.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's really hard on your body to eat right before you go to sleep.... go to bed slightly hungry and you will burn calories all night while you sleep. That's motivation for me... if you eat before bed you will spend the night having your body digesting food instead

What are you basing this on? We burn calories at night whether we eat before bed or not.