Fitbit, Polar or other?

Options
Please Help!

I want to purchase some type of device to count the calories burned during workouts. I don't need the all the extras, just want it to be SIMPLE and ACCURATE. A lot of people recommend a Fitbit, but from what I know none of their products use a HRM (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm dubious about their method. Polar watches do use a chest strap, but the newest models are too fancy for me and I'm wondering if their older (simple) ones are any good.

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has two HR monitor models. Charge HR and Surge HR(an actual watch). I have the Charge HR and it is not very accurate. I have a Polar H7 chest strap which pairs with my iphone bluetooth to Polar's app called Polar Beat. It is accurate and it's easy to use, just start up the Polar Beat app and make sure it sees the Polar H7 HRM and hit start. It will log the exercise for you.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My friend recently got the Polar FT4F Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch and she showed me last week, it's so neat and straightforward!! I'm definitely going to be getting one. It's only abot £50 on Amazon too so pretty cheap.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something to just track calories burned during workouts, then I definitely recommend a Polar HRM. I'm on my 2nd Polar monitor and absolutely love it. A Fitbit is a daily activity tracker, not just for workouts. They can do so much more than it sounds like you are interested in, so I wouldn't spend the money on the extras. I have Polar FT60 but started out with an FT4 and it was so worth the money.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I really like my Polar FT7.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit one I've had since Feb 2013 and Polar FT7 since Summer 2013. I use them both at the gym and the fit bit is on me in my waking hours. The fit bit only tracks steps walked and flights of stairs. The HRM is much more useful but only to be used during workouts not every day life. If I had to buy again I would just get the Polar FT7. I have used the Polar FT 7 for water workouts underwater also so that is a plus.

Good luck!
  • jgreeneyes23
    jgreeneyes23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love my Misfit Shine.
  • ShellieGetsFit
    ShellieGetsFit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 is the one that is most attracting to me so I'm glad to see nothing but positive reviews from MFP users.
  • ShellieGetsFit
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Fitbit has two HR monitor models. Charge HR and Surge HR(an actual watch). I have the Charge HR and it is not very accurate. I have a Polar H7 chest strap which pairs with my iphone bluetooth to Polar's app called Polar Beat. It is accurate and it's easy to use, just start up the Polar Beat app and make sure it sees the Polar H7 HRM and hit start. It will log the exercise for you.

Thanks for the info! Is the Polar compatible with Andriod too or just IPhones?
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Garmin FR70
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use a VivoSmart by Garmin and it's amazing - you can buy the one with the HRM strap which from what I hear is more accurate than one that is built in to the wrist band. It can be used in water, it's comfortable, it syncs with your phone so you'll receive text messages or calls through it, and you can skip and play your music with it. Definitely check it out - it's way better than just an expensive pedometer.
  • ShellieGetsFit
    Options
    If you are looking for something to just track calories burned during workouts, then I definitely recommend a Polar HRM. I'm on my 2nd Polar monitor and absolutely love it. A Fitbit is a daily activity tracker, not just for workouts. They can do so much more than it sounds like you are interested in, so I wouldn't spend the money on the extras. I have Polar FT60 but started out with an FT4 and it was so worth the money.

Yes, definitely want something simple since I'm starting out. Thank you for mentioning what product you started out with...very helpful!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout OP?
    HRMs aren't really calorie counters and their estimates are only reasonable in certain circumstances.

Fitbits and HRMs are completely different animals though and not directly comparable.

I had the FT7 and liked the watch but it is basic. Mine died suddenly after a couple of years.

I'm a bit of an outlier in terms of HR and high VO2 max so a customisable HRM suits me better - currently using the FT60.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Looks like its not compatible with Android yet... :neutral_face:
  • ShellieGetsFit
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What kind of workout OP?
    HRMs aren't really calorie counters and their estimates are only reasonable in certain circumstances.

Fitbits and HRMs are completely different animals though and not directly comparable.

I had the FT7 and liked the watch but it is basic. Mine died suddenly after a couple of years.

I'm a bit of an outlier in terms of HR and high VO2 max so a customisable HRM suits me better - currently using the FT60.

I am looking for something basic as I'm just starting out. Some reviews I've read on other less popular brands stated that they only lasted a few months. The FT7 being basic (guessing not too expensive) and lasting a couple years sounds GREAT to me! Thanks! :smile:
  • ShellieGetsFit
    Options

Looks like its not compatible with Android yet... :neutral_face:

They need to change that soon! :anguished: Am guessing I can easily update MFP myself since they are not compatible with Android? Does it display or save your info for some time (workout time & cals burned)?
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I have a Scoche Rhythm+, which works with iPhone or android, and is an arm-band instead of chest strap - it seems to be very accurate, and is well reviewed... Been using it now for about 4 months, and for me, it's perfect.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love my Misfit Shine.

I just saw ads for these. Did you have any other device before? I'm thinking about switching from fitbit to one of these, but I wanted more insight on it first!
  • chaunceymccarrell
    Options
    I'm using the Fitbit flex and seems pretty good so far. Helps with distance and steps. And counts calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout OP?

I am looking for something basic as I'm just starting out. Some reviews I've read on other less popular brands stated that they only lasted a few months. The FT7 being basic (guessing not too expensive) and lasting a couple years sounds GREAT to me! Thanks! :smile:

You missed the "what kind of workout?" question.
    If it's strength training you are wasting your time. If it's interval cardio your calorie estimates will likely be terribly inflated.
  • ShellieGetsFit
    Options
    What kind of workout OP?

You missed the "what kind of workout?" question.
    If it's strength training you are wasting your time. If it's interval cardio your calorie estimates will likely be terribly inflated.

Just regular cardio and light weights. Just starting out so for that I just want a basic device to know the calories burned. Basic device for my basic workouts. Thanks for your help!