Clif bars?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They're not "good" or "bad," they're just tasty candy bars (which I guess makes them good?).
    Hornsby wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    illyich wrote: »
    Absolutely better than a Snickers!

Not always the case...

Exactly...if you need quick release energy, a Snickers would be the better option.

They have about the same amount of sugar though, so neither one is really better than the other. If you wanted quick-release energy you would be better off with a gel than a bar.

Well, gels weren't in the discussion.

Most of Clif bars sugars comes from the ingredients though so I would think would be slower to digest than the Snickers therefore better for a quick boost.

• ddoerr57
    ddoerr57 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great protein and they taste pretty good! I have them for bike rides and in between meal time (if needed). Coconut chocolate chip is my personal favorite.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I love Clif bars but they are too high in carbs for me.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I go with Quest bars. They are delicious and 20 -21g of protein for 160 - 190 calories and over half your days fiber, really low on sugar too. I grab one after the gym on lifting days. I wish they were not so freaking expensive though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    are these good or bad? Sometimes I will eat one to cure cookie/cake cravings-but they are really high in calories. Around 240-260 I believe. Thoughts?

They are neither inherently good or bad...just because something has a lot of calories, that doesn't make them bad...a Cliff Bar actually has some good solid nutrition...caloric density has ZERO to do with nutritional density.

I often have them with a protein shake as a small breakfast substitution when I'm on the go on an early weekend morning (i.e. gotta get to the gym early or not at all)...I also like having one handy on my longer rides and when I'm out hiking in the mountains all day.

Also...and I guess it depends on your calorie goals...but really 250 calories isn't a whole lot of calories.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I used to take them with me on long hikes, but they got expensive so now I make my own energy bars. They might be a bit caloric for a regular snack if you are petite and female, but they are a great portable energy source for hiking, biking, etc. Not sure about running; they might be a bit heavy in the stomach because of the fibre and protein.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to take them with me on long hikes, but they got expensive so now I make my own energy bars. They might be a bit caloric for a regular snack if you are petite and female, but they are a great portable energy source for hiking, biking, etc. Not sure about running; they might be a bit heavy in the stomach because of the fibre and protein.

Care to share your recipe? :p and definitely not petite. I'm 5'10 with a pretty athletic build. I'm a runner, but at an incline. That counts as hiking right? lol

• I make my own energy bars too. My recipe is from Runner's World, modified by me:

Banana Oat Energy Bars / Makes 16

Ingredients:

4 very overripe bananas
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    ½ cup peanut butter (optional – if omitting, add ½ cup oil)
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3 cups rolled oats
    1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
    ½ cup coconut (optional)
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1-2 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
    1 ½ cups trail mix or nuts, chopped

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F, grease 13x9’’ baking pan
    2. In a mixing bowl, mash bananas. Mix with sugar, peanut butter, oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
    3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, coconut and oats.
    4. Add banana mixture to oat mixture, mix until just combined.
    5. Fold in trail mix, careful not to overmix.
    6. Pour mixture into baking pan, and spread evenly. Bake for 22 - 24 minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
    7. Individually wrap bars in saran wrap and store in fridge.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Care to share your recipe? :p and definitely not petite. I'm 5'10 with a pretty athletic build. I'm a runner, but at an incline. That counts as hiking right? lol

I kind of wing it with measurements to get the consistency, but for 12 bars it's approximately:

Dry
    200g rolled oats
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    1/4 to1/2 cup pb2

Wet
    5 oz dried cherries
    1/4 cup natural peanut butter
    12g chia seeds with enough water to make it a viscous gel but not solid (about 2 or 3x the volume of the seeds)
    Almond milk as needed 1/4-3/4 cup
    3Tbsp Agave syrup (ballpark)
    1-2 Tbsp roasted hazelnut oil

Topping
    1/2c chocolate chips

I put the dry stuff in a bowl, and the wet in the food processor just enough to cut up the cherries and roughly mix. I add this to the dry ingredients and stir, adding almond milk if needed until it is clumping together (but not wet) and blended.

I line a pan with waxed paper, spread it out, then put a second piece of wax paper over it and even out the mixture with my fingers. Add the chocolate chips, press them in so they don't fall off, then refrigerate.

It is a bit lower in protein than clif bars (5 or 6 grams) but you could easily add some protein powder to the dry ingredients. I would if there were a vegan one that didn't taste horrible.

I don't measure while I make it so if some of the amounts seem off, go with your gut over what I listed.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    They're good, but I'd rather have a serving of ice cream for those calories. There's not even much protein in them, so my "bar" snacks are Quest bars.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I eat them at work sometimes between meals. Either half or a whole one depending how many calories I am going for.
  • Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by good and bad. The ingredient list looks healthy at the beginning but quickly becomes a list of chemicals. I consider that bad.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love the kids version of Cliff bars... Z bars... Less calories and I think they taste better.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat a builder's bar per day (though am currently out, sadness). They're my go-to post-work pre-exercise snack, along with a cup of iced coffee. I find that a pretty optimal combo for maximum energy before working out, and they help me meet my protein goals while also satisfying a craving for sweets.

Although I also feel that the mint and chocolate peanut butter flavors are the best. Cookies & cream are decent, as are chocolate chip, but regular chocolate, vanilla, and regular peanut butter leave me unmoved.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I gotta try these Clif Bars. Quest Bars are good from a nutritional standpoint, but I've never bothered to try them because artificial sweeteners are no bueno (they taste like chemicals).
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    They are good. I keep Clif Bars, Builder Bars, and Luna Bars (which I find way sweeter than Clif bars and very, very dessert-like) on hand for emergency meals. I usually have one of those in my bag, in case I am somewhere and don't have time to get food/can't get food. I will also eat half before/after a workout if I've had a lower calorie morning.

They are all pretty sweet, so I think they are a decent replacement for cookies, etc. I've made my own before, and I would prefer that (if I had the time :wink: )
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love the kids version of Cliff bars... Z bars... Less calories and I think they taste better.

Me too!!!
    And come in a box at target for pretty cheap
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    They're good, but I'd rather have a serving of ice cream for those calories. There's not even much protein in them, so my "bar" snacks are Quest bars.

But the carbs in them are awesome for all day hiking/backpacking, long range biking, etc...if you look at the background of the founder and the company, it is those types of activities that the Cliff Bar was made for. It isn't advertised and marketed as a protein supplement like Quest bars...

Also, much of the fiber in them is of the soluble variety...which is a very good thing.
  • blookabaugh
    blookabaugh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Balance bars are good also. They are 200 calories and loaded with protein & fiber. They have a nice selection of flavors. I get mine at Kroger where they are 10 for $10.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like Clif bars but they're too high in calories for a "bar" snack for me. I'll have one if I'm out and about I need something quick as a meal replacement. I prefer to make my own energy/granola bars!