104 Lbs lost and cured thanks to clean eating!

Options
I'm feeling happy, excited and gratitude. In the past 11 months my health has come back from constant pain, and life threatening chronic diseases to totally normal without anymore prescription meds. My energy and self confidence is back to where it was in my early thirties. I have the strength and confidence once again to set high goals for my life and go get them. I believe it's all because I changed what I fuel my body with. I only eat high quality pure and natural foods now and drink plenty of pure (alkaline) spring water. It has made a dramatic change in the quality of my life and health. I've lost 104 lbs. so far and still have about 45 lbs to go, but I feel better than I have in 15 years or more. "You are what you eat" is true when it comes to health. Consider eating more natural whole foods like grass fed beef, free range chicken, fresh veggies organic (as much as possible), and eat less processed foods that are full of chemical additives and preservatives, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and trans fat. You will be amazed by how much better you feel, and the weight will start dropping off more easily too. Give it a try, you have a lot to lose.
Chef Steve
Ps I share my recipes and philosophy with anyone who is interested.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I ate lots of pastured beef, free range chicken, and in-season veggies from the farm when I was getting fat, as well as when I was losing. It was the calories, not the food source, that did it.

I lost because I modified my cooking methods and portion sizes, among other things.

I just get annoyed by the assumption that "chemical additives" that probably have few calories are what make people fat (I tend to focus on whole foods, but for ethical, local, and personal issues, as well as because I enjoy cooking, not because I think those ingredients or eating non-organic or the like makes you fat). I also get annoyed by the assumption that anyone who gets fat must be eating from a box and anyone eating from a box must be or remain fat. It's really much simpler.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    congrats on clean eating allowing you to eat fewer calories. Works for many other people as well.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

you never see someone who only eats traditional healthy foods and is obese. its possible, but it just doesnt happen

LOLZ.

Never? NEVER EVER????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats on improving your health!
  • jgignac8
    jgignac8 Posts: 8
    Options
    Congratulations on your success and hard work!

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    im not sure why clean eating gets bashed on here so often. its clearly superior in every way except for taste (and maybe cost/conveinience), and thats preference. to me "clean" or healthy foods taste better

you never see someone who only eats traditional healthy foods and is obese. its possible, but it just doesnt happen

Proof, and in this thread no less!
    See below:
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I ate lots of pastured beef, free range chicken, and in-season veggies from the farm when I was getting fat, as well as when I was losing. It was the calories, not the food source, that did it.

I lost because I modified my cooking methods and portion sizes, among other things.

I just get annoyed by the assumption that "chemical additives" that probably have few calories are what make people fat (I tend to focus on whole foods, but for ethical, local, and personal issues, as well as because I enjoy cooking, not because I think those ingredients or eating non-organic or the like makes you fat). I also get annoyed by the assumption that anyone who gets fat must be eating from a box and anyone eating from a box must be or remain fat. It's really much simpler.

Reading, it's a wonderful thing
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

LOLZ.

Never? NEVER EVER????

Never, ever, ever. Because apparently "healthy" and "traditional" cancel out calories.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    im not sure why clean eating gets bashed on here so often. its clearly superior in every way except for taste (and maybe cost/conveinience), and thats preference. to me "clean" or healthy foods taste better

It is bashed because people come in an criticize everything and everyone who is not clean eating. Nothing wrong with it if you want to avoid things, but people shouldn't praise it as the only way to go. A calorie deficit is what allows people to lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »

It is bashed because people come in an criticize everything and everyone who is not clean eating. Nothing wrong with it if you want to avoid things, but people shouldn't praise it as the only way to go. A calorie deficit is what allows people to lose weight.

That's not what I'm seeing here.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    im not sure why clean eating gets bashed on here so often.

Because "clean eating" means nothing. Lots of people who say they "eat clean" eat just as many or more processed foods as I do, so I don't get why they claim to eat in some special way. Also, while I personally like cooking from whole foods, I'm not sure why people think they are following a special diet because they do.

Also, it really has nothing to do with weight loss unless you were eating lots of fast food before or some such. In particular, people go on about eating "lean meat" or lower calorie items, but that's not clean eating in any rational understanding of the term--when I focus on getting well-sourced meat (as I understand it) it's often less lean, as I'm less likely to get very low fat ground beef or turkey "bacon" or skinless, boneless chicken breast, think it's important to try to eat the whole animal (not just the leanest parts), and typically get fattier breeds of pork than are available at the store. I also would feel terrible wasting egg yolks and am more likely to have only full fat dairy as an option.

And I can still cook with as much olive oil or butter as I like.

This is why I think "clean eating" isn't really some kind of diet. Is eating from whole foods (if we can avoid that dumb term) and caring about the source of your food something of value otherwise? I personally think so, but I'd never define as a "clean eater" or think that means I can't eat ice cream or homemade apple pie on occasion.
    its clearly superior in every way except for taste (and maybe cost/conveinience), and thats preference. to me "clean" or healthy foods taste better

Yes, if you don't think it tastes better, you are doing it wrong (or shouldn't be doing it). I cook from whole foods because I like that way of eating far better than eating from pre-packaged foods for the most part. Again, not because it's some kind of weird "diet." That's what I'm arguing against.

It would be nice if the actual argument could be addressed on occasion instead of false claims that people are "bashing" a way of eating.

False. It happens plenty.

And mostly it's harder not because the food is different, but because cooking is more work than buying something to eat.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

It's not happening in this thread (yet) but traditionally it's what happens.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Not here yet, but go and find the clean eating threads, and in the ones I have seen, it becomes "Well, we're eating clean, so we're better than all of you who don't eat clean"

Again, nothing wrong with wanting to avoid processed food and so forth, just shouldn't be said that it is the only way to lose weight and to try and make people who eat processed food feel like they are worthless.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Because comments like the bold.

People that eat clean tend to think they are superior for their food choices. It's not true. How you eat doesn't determine what sort of person you are.

I also really, really dislike the implication that chemicals and preservatives will keep you fat.

I've lost a lot of weight and reversed a potentially serious medical condition by using a moderate approach to all food. But I'm not smug enough to claim my way is the only way and that people that eat differently will fail. *I* realize there are many ways to achieve a calorie deficit and everyone should find the one that works for them.

So it's not that "clean" eating is hated on here (aside from it being rather ambiguous), it's the attitude that a lot of clean eaters have. It's obnoxious.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also, sorry, but "clean" is supposed to mean "non processed," I thought, not "healthy," so you can't just use the terms interchangeably. Even if we buy into the idea that a food out of context can be "healthy" or not, why are processed foods inherently not healthy? I'd consider some smoked salmon or plain Fage 2% greek yogurt "healthy," and yet of course they are processed.

Similarly, while I prefer roasting a whole chicken (and the extra calories that go with that), boneless, skinless chicken breast is perfectly healthy, although processed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    "You are what you eat" is true when it comes to health.

First of all CONGRATS!! Your story is quite impressive. B)

And I fully agree with the sentence quoted above. I know it's not popular on MFP to strive for a natural or 'clean' diet, though honestly I don't know why it's so often attacked.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

My best friend is vegan and weighs 200 pounds.

OP, congratulations. What works for you doesn't work for me (I would binge if I cut out sweets). I still feel much better than I did 60 pounds ago even eating processed foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I'm not sure this is true. But it might depend on what you mean by "traditional healthy foods".

Honestly, I can't say I've met a person that became obese on a diet of only whole natural foods. But then, I'm not sure I've ever met someone that eats only whole natural foods. That's pretty hard in today's world.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It looks like the original point was lost here. Clean eating isnt a diet that people use to lose weight, they usually eat better foods to aid in their weight loss. I am a huge fast food and junk food eater. But one day I opted for grilled fish, asparagus, and water for lunch. Usually I feel tired, but not this day. I felt great, not tired, and oddly enough, like I could breathe better lol. That was the point of this post people.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Since when does "vegan" count as eating "clean"? I've been a vegetarian for close to twenty years and when I went around eating fake meat products every day to sub, I was severely overweight and severely unhealthy because I was eating fake, over-processed crap all the time (and let's not pretend that there isn't a health difference between an ounce of smoked salmon and a 10¢ bag of ramen when we're talking processed foods).

But the point of this thread is to congratulate ChefSteveUrso on his success! I'm going to friend request you, buddy--I'm currently in culinary school and it's a huge battle to control/log what I'm eating in classes so it would be really cool to have a professional chef friend on here! :)