what to eat when dining out

Options
Hi, does anyone have any good advice on how to stay within 1200 calories when dining in a pub? Worried as I have two dinners out this week and really want to stay on track with mfp and keep loosing weight.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For me, dining out is pretty much an event...it's something of an occasion so I generally don't worry about it too much...my once or twice per month of going out to a nice restaurant is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme.

As I recall from my couple of visits to the UK, traditional pub food could make things rather difficult if you're trying to keep it to 1200 calories. Maybe shepherds pie or something...that would probably be what I would choose.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Traditional pub food would be tricky, as it doesn't tend to be healthy. It might just be a matter of minimizing the damage by having a big salad before you go to the dinner, and then eating a small portion of whatever food you order.

I do remember that when I visited Ireland years ago, a lot of the pubs I ate at had a broiled salmon entrée. If that's common in your area, that would be a great selection.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's kind of hard...but one option is to pick whatever you like and eat a smaller portion of it, take the rest home. Or go for a salad, dressing on the side, no cheese or bacon or any other fatty additions. Also no alcohol (though I can't imagine that in a pub)--can you get wine there? That might be a better option than beer.

Sorry good luck! Overall I would say don't stress it too much, as long as you're being somewhat mindful you won't have a problem
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you can, do some research into the menu ahead of time and find out what your options are and whether or not the restaurant offers nutritional information on any of their items.

Personally, if I'm eating out I plan to spend 600-1000 calories. I'll eat lighter throughout the day to accommodate it, but that's pretty tough on 1200 calories. You might consider lowering your deficit those two days so that you can eat more, but that's totally up to you.
  • psmd
    Options
    Oh and stick to just eating your meal, don't pick at bread, appetizers, etc.
  • psmd
    Options
    Also could add some exercise those mornings to sort of counteract it? Just another thought.

I need to go back and do some work today!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    ^^^ good stuff
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Applebees has a whole page in it's menu with foods under 600 calories. I had that salmon the other night and it was deliiiish!!
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well... It depends on where you're going. The first suggestion would be to ask your server to box half of your meal before it's served to you (or ask for a box and put half in right away) so you're not tempted to eat the rest! Chicken tacos usually aren't too bad. If you want a burger and fries, lose the bun! Every little bit helps.. Be careful ordering the salads, they can be calorie bombs.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't usually stay on track when I dine out because it's extremely hard to tell how many calories are in restaurant meals. I just get what I want and then I add in more exercise on the day before/during/after. The only tips I can give is to go for whatever is grilled or baked and the least complicated sounding- stay away from the usual culprits (fried, sauteed, heavy sauces/cream sauces, items with lots of cheese etc)
  • claresmith804
    claresmith804 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your comments. Think I will stick to something high protein low carb like steak and salad without dressing and for drinkies shall have wine and sodas(less calorific then my usual beer!!) And no dessert. Boring!! O well, all for the greater good! ☺
  • claresmith804
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Amazing! Really helpful blog tips
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    A small steak, salad, baked potatoe, broccoli. Nothing fried, or very little of it.
  • claresmith804
    Options
    A small steak, salad, baked potatoe, broccoli. Nothing fried, or very little of it

Fab advice. Will be having exactly that, thank you