First Day and wonder how u changed your eating habits

Options
jazzandbill
jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
Hello,

Today is my first day and learned so much so far just on this site but I wonder how did u made the change from eating ok food not tracking calories at all to making new meals.

In other words I'm asking if you can share what worked for you, how did you changed your eating habits and which recipes helped you to do that..

Replies

• wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think it's smart to just track everything you eat for a day or two without changing anything. That's a big eye opener, or at least it was for me! Then try to eat more fruits and veggies... Salad is a healthy option, as long as you don't load it down with meat, cheese, croutons, and tons of creamy dressing! They can also be a big calorie bomb...
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    Thank u for responding :) .. u are so right last week i found a simple site were u can keep track of what u eat and i was able to see why i wasn't losing weight even-though i was exercising but what i was eating wasn't helping.. now i'm a little lost and confused to what i should prepare and how i should change what i eat everyday.. :#
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It kind of happened slowly

With a calorie target, I started thinking of it like a budget ..and over time would judge things like:

whether I wanted a small portion of x or a huge portion of y for the same calories

How to make something high calorie that I loved more cost effective (eg mature cheddar...I grate it and keep it in Tupperware in fridge and add about 6g to egg white or 10g as a sprinkling over rice and stew)

How to make recipes I love more calorie effective ...reduce oils and highly dense calories and increase amount of lower calorie ingredients

How to save calories over the week for nights out or something I fancy particularly

How to ensure I never felt like any food was a no go

How to work with appropriate portion sizes

I then got all these go to foods that became my favourites and now I can't remember how I used to eat

Try it
  • ACKlug
    ACKlug Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found that a lot of the things I chose before changing my eating habits were actually healthy and I focused on making those my choice always. You'd be surprised once you start looking into the things you eat and realizing what really isn't that bad for you. I also tried lots of fruits and veggies that way I could see which ones I could eat and which ones were a struggle to eat. And for me, whatever I bring to work I will usually eat so I only bring what I need for the time I am not at home. That cut out overeating for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I use my existing recipes

But also I like skinnytaste.com

And I make up things ..eg chilli con carne evolved into a turkey version then into a veggie version then into a non bean version then into a Mediterranean chunky stew ...go figure :)
  • wathjo1
    Options
    You can eat about anything in moderation... You just have to learn the right portions. Here's my new favorite breakfast! http://findingtimeforcooking.com/2012/11/13/egg-muffins-with-veggies-chives/
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Finding my TDEE, tracking foods, then working to hit my macros properly, really opened my eyes as to what adjustments I needed to make.
    Putting it on paper so to speak, allowed me to see exactly where I was making mistakes with my weight loss and exercise routines.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I just ate less calories of everything I was already eating. Then I started budgeting for stuff I wanted, swapping lower calorie foods for the higher calorie ones so that I could eat more, etc.

You don't have to change everything overnight. In fact, slow changes are often the ones that stick.
  • stephtwells
    stephtwells Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that detailing what you have been eating is the kick starter to changing your eating habits as you can be put off from eating anything further so to stay within the calorie goal target. It definatly worked for me :) It is also good for keeping track of how many fruit and veg you are eating, therefore you can increase the amount accordingly. Also working in a bakery is hard so is this app is helping
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    wow.. your comments have been so helpful and they are making me feel a lot better.. i was feeling very overwhelmed not knowing what to do and change.. since last week i have been searching what to do and everything seem very drastic.. but with your comments i see i can make the changes little by little see what works and need to add more fruits and vegetables in my daily meals which is something i was lacking on. to be honest the only fruits and vegetables i would eat was on my smoothie.. so thank you again..
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    i also liked the recipe u sent me.. i made something similar to it but it has ham too.. but with your recipe i can make it work by adding some vegetables ty wathjo1
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One thing that has really helped me is only eating when I'm at the table. No more eating while I'm driving, at the computer, or watching TV. That keeps me aware of the food I eat and I enjoy it more. After making this adjustment I started to realize how many calories I was consuming out of habit without really enjoying them.
  • ACKlug
    Options
    Also, meal prepping is huge for me. It can be very helpful when you prep on one day then your snacks, meals, etc are just there in the fridge or cabinet and all you have to do is go get them. That helps portion control!
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    ty im really going to try this site too. :D . i was able to go there earlier today and ik it would help me with some good meals.. i also like u can copy there link and i can add it on my recipe on this site..
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And I make up things ..eg chilli con carne evolved into a turkey version then into a veggie version then into a non bean version then into a Mediterranean chunky stew ...go figure :)

• wathjo1
    Options
    I also add veggies to my pasta! Much easier to consume veggies if you're not a fan of them when you sneak them in to foods you already eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    ty im really going to try this site too. :D . i was able to go there earlier today and ik it would help me with some good meals.. i also like u can copy there link and i can add it on my recipe on this site..
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I recommend salmon fish cakes and chicken cacciatore from there ...both big hits
  • jazzandbill
    Options
    im a stay home mom but my husband works and today i was also searching about meal planning and that is how i found this site.. im so excited to make some meals for my hubby the only thing is he doesnt like much veggies either so we need to make some drastic changes in that senses.. :#
    acklugman wrote: »
    Also, meal prepping is huge for me. It can be very helpful when you prep on one day then your snacks, meals, etc are just there in the fridge or cabinet and all you have to do is go get them. That helps portion control!

• jazzandbill
    Options
    i think that is my problem too.. i notice i snack more when watching tv and while in the computer.. and the snacks i crave are usually sweet stuff..
    IammeCA wrote: »
    One thing that has really helped me is only eating when I'm at the table. No more eating while I'm driving, at the computer, or watching TV. That keeps me aware of the food I eat and I enjoy it more. After making this adjustment I started to realize how many calories I was consuming out of habit without really enjoying them.

• jazzandbill
    Options
    i love making pasta... and usually i would pair it with garlic bread. but no veggies would be on my meal.. ty for the tip.. ;)
    wathjo1 wrote: »
    I also add veggies to my pasta! Much easier to consume veggies if you're not a fan of them when you sneak them in to foods you already eat.

• ACKlug
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »

This is a very interesting approach and I love the idea of it. I may try incorporating this! Thanks!