I can't cook... where do i go from here!?

Options
Basically I try to google foods and sometimes i get good hits but most of the time not even close. I need some meal idea's D:. My problem is I don't really like many foods. Healthy or not and when i like a food i tend to have a lot of it!

Breakfest foods:
Well i try for either oatmeal, eggs with some turkey bacon or maybe even cereal.

Snacks:
These are what i usually have 3 times a day. One is usually fruits and yogurt, the other maybe a cereal bar but i don't know many others. I'm not too big on nuts. i never feel full end up super thirsty and wanting to snack more.

Lunch foods:
Um...... sandwhiches are the go to but... too many carbs from bread. I don't know what to have for lunch... haha

Dinner foods:
I usually have dinner at work. I generally only like chicken when it comes to meats but i dont like too spicy or tangy. Otherwise I don't know how to cook and spice it.
As for veggies i like broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflour, carrots a little and potatoes.
(Sometimes i like ground turkey or ground beef)

So if you can suggest some foods and how to make em that would be nice. Otherwise i shall search google some more haha.

My biggest no no's are: Spicy foods, mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers, olives.....cabbage.... pork...that's all i can think of haha.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no one is going to be able to answer this really.

It's just to broad of a subject and way to subjective.

You don't have to eat a huge variety of dishes weekly- I pretty much cook like 5 dishes really well- and I just rotate through them- I eat out 1-2 times a week (1 at the restaurant where I work and it's one of two dishes- Lebanese salad with grilled chicken or grilled salmon)- and then my BF and I go out once- either mexican- or all you can eat brazillian.

Otherwise I eat 2-3 types of chili or chicken soup (crock pot). Or I make stir fry- or just baked/oven seared chicken breasts- lemon pepper- or with some sort of onion/garlic.

I eat frozen veggies- or asparagus or zucchini.

Dinner is almost always scrambled eggs with sauteed veggies in them with a side of bacon. Dessert is popcorn or ice cream

And that's about it for cooking. I dont' eat a lot of variety.

Ultimately all you need is to do is pick a meat and pick a veggie and just say- easy steak and zuccihini dinner.

or easy onion/chicken dinner.

(I am lazy- I ALWAYS type "easy" in to the search bar.)

Spaghetti and stir fry are probably the two easiest thing to do. But again- no one can really tell you- get a 4 ingredient cook book- or just keep googling and expanding your skill set.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of recipes on the internet and cooking websites, plus thousands of cooking books at any bookstore, so just start from there. Try allrecipes.com, where you can get recipes based on the ingredients you have.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Would you like to learn how to cook? Are there certain foods you would like to learn to cook? Perhaps if you post a specific recipe request, someone would be able to share a recipe or even a step-by-step that you could follow!
  • takala2015
    takala2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize, only in my case it's not that I can't cook it's that I don't have a lot of time to cook. I have only been counting calories for two weeks with mfp, have lost 6.5 lb so far (44 to go!). I am finding it's easiest to stay within my calorie allowance by staying consistent in what I eat. Mornings...1 poached egg with two slices of dry toast and an extra thin slice of cheese. If I vary it's to grab a special k frozen breakfast sandwich instead. For lunch...a meat (chicken, fish, pork or beef, whatever it was I last cooked) along with 1/2 cup brown and wild rice and 2 cups of frozen veggies. Supper...very similar to lunch but the veggies will be fresh or stir fried. When I cook supper I make at least enough extra for lunch the next day, maybe enough for a couple days. Put on a pot of rice (or reheat, one pot will last me most of the week) , meat in the oven, not much 'cooking' needed. Seasoning is usually just seasoning salt, or lemon/dill for fish. Also lots of no-salt as I love salt but have to avoid due to high bp. Soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, mustard and occasionally ketchup are staples. Snacks are an apple, orange or special k pastry crisps.

It's only the start of week 3, maybe I will get sick of this menu soon. A couple of days ago I bought extra lean ground beef, was supposed to be for both hubby and myself but he went on a trip and I am left eating it all....almost through it but ugh, I am sick of that one! However, hunger is an excellent spice so I do manage to get through it :)

My advice would be find a few things that are easy for you, that you like, and stick to those for at least a couple weeks until you are ready to change it up a bit.
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat the same stuff repeatedly. Chicken and some vegetable. Pork and some vegetable. Left over protein chopped up on a salad the next day. Breakfast is the same day in and day out. The only changes are if I go out or like last weekend treat myself to an amazing maple bacon donut.

Only thing I noticed in your question that stuck out was you saying you are Thirsty and it makes you snack... That's easy to fix. Drink more water ;)

But honestly, don't feel like you have to be a 5 star chef. It's fun to cook scallops and panko crusted asparagus sometimes but that is not my main menu.
  • iNikosaurus
    iNikosaurus Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I figure this would be a hard topic for people to help with because even i'm having a hard time with it. It doesn't help that I just don't know any specific dishes that i'd like to make or anything like that. That being said, some of these things you mentioned sound pretty tasty! I have a crockpot but for the life of me am afraid to leave stuff in there for long periods of time and then i'm not sure about portioning and then when it comes down to counting calories ..... its so much harder to figure out how many calories you are eating when you prepare a meal for say 10 servings vs one for 1 serving. I'd have to split the total calories in the prepared meal into 10 servings first which is a big hassle, i'm not sure how others do it!
  • iNikosaurus
    edited March 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I hear ya, i have cook books and home and use the internet. I guess the problem is that I don't know what i want to make. All i know is what i don't like and if i post that on google it finds all those ingredients in a recipe and as for the book i'll have to spend days and days readying through the cookbook. Not to mention probably modifying them to be 'healthier'. so on that part it's tough too xD
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

If only it were that easy. When i think of something i'd like to eat i tend to look it up on google. I don't know any dishes by name really. So like... if i want chicken that's garlic-y i'll post on google "Chicken with garlic" Glance through a bunch of pages and try the first one i have all the ingredients for that sounds good. So it's just coming up with the meals that i'm not sure. What words i should look for when i'm making that search. It doesn't help when i know nothing about spices and what they do. My go to spices are salt pepper and garlic salt.
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    takala2015 wrote: »

This actually opened my eyes a little bit. Here I am thinking i should have a different meal for every day so i dont get bored of the food i'm eating but maybe i should have 2 or 3 day meal plans and switch them up each week. I know one reason i fell of track with healthy eating was being bored of eating the same thing everyday. Maybe one week i'll have chicken breast and the week after a ground beef. maybe i'll learn some stir fry recipes... who kows! These are some excellent suggestions :) Thank you!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I figure this would be a hard topic for people to help with because even i'm having a hard time with it. It doesn't help that I just don't know any specific dishes that i'd like to make or anything like that. That being said, some of these things you mentioned sound pretty tasty! I have a crockpot but for the life of me am afraid to leave stuff in there for long periods of time and then i'm not sure about portioning and then when it comes down to counting calories ..... its so much harder to figure out how many calories you are eating when you prepare a meal for say 10 servings vs one for 1 serving. I'd have to split the total calories in the prepared meal into 10 servings first which is a big hassle, i'm not sure how others do it!

Splitting into 10 is dead easy. Calculate cals for the whole recipe. Weigh the whole recipe. Put 1/10th of that weight into each of 10 containers, and cal count is 1/10 of the whole.

Even easier, if you're the only one who's going to eat the food, just eyeball the portions. Some days you'll have a little less, some days a little more. Doesn't matter, it all averages out.
  • iNikosaurus
    Options

Mhm that's what i used to do but i got bored of eating the same thing over and over. Bland food that i couldn't cook right. how much is too much spice or too much condiments. Oh no, this ketchup doesn't fit in my calories or my salt so i guess i have to have my eggs plain (which is boring and tasteless to me)

ohhh as for the thirsty, i meant nuts make me thirsty so i dont have nuts as a snack. Otherwise i drink however much i need to which is about 8 cups at least. I don't get thirsty often but i hate the thirst i get after eating nuts. that and they aren't filling.

fancy cook over here! i don't even know what those things are haha. I guess i do have to find two or three dayplan meals and just rotate them. 3 different foods that have enough variety from eachother so i dont feel like i'm eating the same thing over and over.

unamused.gif
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Go to Pinterest.. Type in what you will eat and it will populate a bunch of stuff for you with only those ingredients. I do that when I don't know what to make and its near the end of the week and the fridge is getting empty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you can read you can learn to cook. Go to sites like epicurious to find menu/recipe ideas.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    learn how to make one dish a week, and in 2 months youll have 8 dishes to rotate between. A cookbook for cooking for one or 2 with easy ideas would also work for you.

link is for cookbooks for 2- that way you can split it in 2 servings and have an easy calorie count, just enter it in the recipe builder.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=easy+cooking+for+2&rh=n:283155,k:easy+cooking+for+2
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

What ends up making it hard is I am terrible at math and end up screwing up royally, repeatedly in trying to calculate it. So do you calculate everything you put in then you get how many calories the whole meal has. and say you want each meal to be 300 calories each do you divide the calories it equaled by 300 and however many times it goes into it is how many servings you have? how do you measure that out in grams? It rattles my brain haha. Math is my worst subject T.T
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Some of these look really interesting but some look not so healthy. Like grilled cheese aren't the healthiest right? The cheese has too much fat, bread is too much carb and butter or margarine you use adds up as well. I also enjoy my grilled cheese with ketchup cause it tastes far to plain without it to me. Some good idea's on those pages though. Thanks!
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    nikkerbob wrote: »
    Go to Pinterest.. Type in what you will eat and it will populate a bunch of stuff for you with only those ingredients. I do that when I don't know what to make and its near the end of the week and the fridge is getting empty.

Pinterest takes your ingredients and comes up with a meal for you??? Sweet! I will definitely check this out.
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you can read you can learn to cook. Go to sites like epicurious to find menu/recipe ideas.

Lol well yeah, humans can do anything they put there mind to. Doesn't hurt to ask people on here for their suggestions on the steps i take. As i state in this room i do use google but for more idea's i'm looking to others for suggestions. Thanks though i'll check out that site :)
  • iNikosaurus
    Options
    learn how to make one dish a week, and in 2 months youll have 8 dishes to rotate between. A cookbook for cooking for one or 2 with easy ideas would also work for you.

link is for cookbooks for 2- that way you can split it in 2 servings and have an easy calorie count, just enter it in the recipe builder.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=easy+cooking+for+2&rh=n:283155,k:easy+cooking+for+2

Oh wow thank you this could be quite good. That's also a terrific idea. On the weekend when i go shopping i should have a meal in mind for the week and go with it and a new one each week would keep my taste buds on their toes. thanks!