Meal replacement smoothies

Options
Every once in awhile, I'd like to replace a meal with a nice healthy smoothie. Unfortunately, they tend to not fill me up so I'd like to see if anyone has any good filling recipes. I'm not a fan of vegetable juices and smoothies (it's okay if they are sweet).

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that's one of the drawbacks of smoothies - they tend to not fill you up as well as if you ate the food whole, and it's way too easy to consume a lot more calories than intended if you aren't watching it. Try adding protein or fiber (full-fat greek yogurt for protein, spinach doesn't affect the flavor a lot, flax seeds, wheat germ, or other fibrous sources), and it may help some. But be sure you account for any of these additions in your recipe so you know exactly how many calories you're getting!
  • hunnyhun921
    hunnyhun921 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    protein powder, chia seeds, flax seeds
  • kelseyjayep
    kelseyjayep Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/recipes/spinach-and-strawberry-smoothie#2icSwAE831sPbf6W.97

I liked this one a lot and I will sometimes eat (or drink) the entire thing for lunch - and it generally keeps me pretty full!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    protein powder, frozen fruit, almond milk, chia seeds I have this almost everyday. It's keep me full for 4-5 hours. I sometime add plain greek yogurt 3oz also.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    How about a soup smoothie...since you are not a sweet fan. You can make a soup with lentils, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, lemon juice, salt, pepper. Once the soup boils for a several minutes and lentil is soft and veggies are tender blend. Cool chicken breast in a pan. Shred the chicken breast once it cools down. Sprinkle the shredded chicken on your soup. Enjoy.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    How about a soup smoothie...since you are not a sweet fan. You can make a soup with lentils, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, lemon juice, salt, pepper. Once the soup boils for a several minutes and lentil is soft and veggies are tender blend. Cool chicken breast in a pan. Shred the chicken breast once it cools down. Sprinkle the shredded chicken on your soup. Enjoy.

Oh, I am actually a huge sweet fan. Your recipe sure sounds delicious though. I'll definitely try that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have one everyday, and it definitely fills me up. Look under Lunch in my diary.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're looking for something super tasty and more milk shake like but I drink a smoothie for breakfast 4 days a week and it keeps me full from 8 AM to 1 PM sometimes even later. It's taste okay, like citrus mostly but I do:

1/2 cup water
    6 Ice Cubes
    1/2 of a banana
    1/2 of an apple
    1/2 of a large orange
    1/3 of a lemon
    1 cup spinach
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries

All of this comes in at around 210 calories and it's packed with nutrients. I don't like vegetables which is why it's packed with fruit so I can't taste the spinach. You could cut back on the fruit to get rid of some sugar but I've been steadily losing weight and feeling great while drinking this.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink smoothies are when I know I have to work through lunch at a client's office because of time constraints before having to get to the next client. It doesn't look or seem as though I'm eating at my desk, since I can work while drinking it.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Friend me that see my morning smoothies. I make large batches and weigh all the fruits, then pour in mason jars and freeze. Then I divide the cals by the number of jars and copy the smoothies over each day. Over the course of all the jars you will log all the calories, so don't worry about 100% accuracy in each one. They make lids with straws for mason jars too! I drink this, plus have coffee with my homemade almond milk, and a granola bar. Sometimes I also eat trail mix. I eat most of my calories for breakfast and lunch.
  • smashster
    smashster Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Protein shake (I like vanilla, choc or coffee) 1-2c spinach/kale/greens on hand, 1 c triple berry blend/mango/cherry whatever sounds good in the freezer, couple slices frozen banana or red bell peppers if you like sweet, 1tbsp chia seeds, optional for variety: 2 tbsp PB2 or plain Greek yogurt or 2 tbsp dry oats. This combo keeps me full and it's not heavy. I never really ate breakfast for a lot of years so it's hard sometimes to eat early.
  • techgal128
    Options
    I took all of your advice and made a smoothie with strawberries, spinach, bananas, protein powder, blueberries, and hemp seeds (I couldn't find chia seeds).

I'd love even more suggestions!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    I took all of your advice and made a smoothie with strawberries, spinach, bananas, protein powder, blueberries, and hemp seeds (I couldn't find chia seeds).

I'd love even more suggestions!

Yum, that's my kinda smoothie :D:+1:

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    In addition to protein smoothies, I make protein lattes. The one I'm on a kick with now is a toasted almond mochaccino: 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk heated blended (I use a small whisk) with 1 packet/scoop chocolate protein powder, and 1/2 cup coffee. Another favorite is a vanilla latte which is low fat milk heated, a scoop/packet vanilla protein powder, and finished with a half cup coffee. And my final favorite is a Heath Bar latte - chocolate protein powder, almond milk, coffee, and English toffee flavored liquid stevia. If you find chai seeds, please let me know and I'll turn you onto protein pudding! B)
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Friend me that see my morning smoothies. I make large batches and weigh all the fruits, then pour in mason jars and freeze. Then I divide the cals by the number of jars and copy the smoothies over each day. Over the course of all the jars you will log all the calories, so don't worry about 100% accuracy in each one. They make lids with straws for mason jars too! I drink this, plus have coffee with my homemade almond milk, and a granola bar. Sometimes I also eat trail mix. I eat most of my calories for breakfast and lunch.

When you freeze your smoothies do you find that when you thaw them the consistency changes? When ever I freeze mine they end getting super watery really fast. I don't use milk or anything other than water, ice, fruit, and vegetables so that could be part of it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    In addition to protein smoothies, I make protein lattes. The one I'm on a kick with now is a toasted almond mochaccino: 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk heated blended (I use a small whisk) with 1 packet/scoop chocolate protein powder, and 1/2 cup coffee. Another favorite is a vanilla latte which is low fat milk heated, a scoop/packet vanilla protein powder, and finished with a half cup coffee. And my final favorite is a Heath Bar latte - chocolate protein powder, almond milk, coffee, and English toffee flavored liquid stevia. If you find chai seeds, please let me know and I'll turn you onto protein pudding! B)

Can you share your recipe here please? :smile:

• techgal128
    Options
    Oh, and you buy hemp seeds like I did, make sure to hull them BEFORE putting them into a smoothie. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was not a big veggie eater but love my smoothies in the morning. I am a big fan of cashew milk or kefir, fruits (whatever u prefer) and then add 1-2 veggies and protein powder and a little water. What I found useful was in the beginning I used veggies sparingly and have slowly increased and now most days they are typically half of it. I like spinach, zucchini squash, and carrots but am planning to add avocados and other veggies as I keep doing them.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Can you share your recipe here please? :smile:

My Heath Bar Latte is 1/2 cup of almond milk heated, 1 packet or scoop of chocolate protein, 8oz. coffee, and several drops of English Toffee liquid. This is prepared the same way as my other lattes.

For protein pudding, I use a box of sugar free pudding and ready to drink vanilla protein. Then you just follow the directions on the box substituting the milk for the vanilla protein.