Stronglifts 5x5 for a beginner

ddrop
ddrop Posts: 6
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't want to say I'm a begginer to lifting but I'm getting back into it for be first time in a year and it certainly feels that way after a couple sessions in front of the rack. I've read a lot about the benefits of the stronglifts 5x5 program so I'm wondering if anyone has tips or advice when it comes to this program for someone who has never tried it before. I'm used to pumping out 10-12 reps with moderate weight so the thought of going heavier than what I'm used to is a litte intimidating. Thanks guys :)

Replies

• kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Trust yourself! You can do more than you think. That being said, if you're not sure about your form or how to progress appropriately, it's a good idea to hire a personal trainer for a session or two so they can make sure you're on the right track and are doing the movements safely.
  • ddrop
    kozinskey wrote: »
    Trust yourself! You can do more than you think. That being said, if you're not sure about your form or how to progress appropriately, it's a good idea to hire a personal trainer for a session or two so they can make sure you're on the right track and are doing the movements safely.

I did a, I guess you could say trial run of the program yesterday. Used lighter weights than recommended just to make sure my form and technique are on point. But getting a PT for a couple sessions wouldn't hurt. Especially since I haven't lifted heavy in a longggg time. I'll check it out and see if the price is right. Thank you!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    If the price sucks, film yourself with the lighter weights and you can post them on MFP for a form critique
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Strong lifts is ideal for a "beginner" simply because it allows you to creep up on your maximum lifts... so wherever you have started... just move up from there in 5 lb increments... you'll realize what feels good and what doesn't as you get closer and closer to your max... week by week session by session... the tricky part is pushing the limit...but until you get there you have lots of time to work on form... and you are NOT going to hurt yourself if you switch it up once in a while and go for muscle endurance over strength, MY suggestion is push the 5x5 for 12 weeks... then take a 3 or 4 week break before hitting it again... You've done this before so you know.. it isn't an overnight project... just work the program get plenty of protein... and YOU will break more hearts than you already do :)
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    MY suggestion is push the 5x5 for 12 weeks... then take a 3 or 4 week break before hitting it again...

no...don't do this...Run the program until you feel like you need a deload (not progressing as well as the start or fatigue) then do a deload for one week THEN get right back into it. 3-4 weeks is going to set you behind..

• Zebarah
    Zebarah Posts: 1 Member
    Part of the program for StrongLifts is starting out with just the bar in order to get time under the bar to work on form. If you start out lifting near your current max then you won't have that time to concentrate on technique. Even if you've done it before I would recommend starting out with something that seems easy for all three sets. You'll add on to that quickly enough.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Stronglifts was the program I started with, I stuck with the 5lb increments on everything and the recommended 10lb increase on dead lift. I'd stay with that plan, the weight will get up there in no time. Sticking with the 5x5 plan instead of doing more will help in the long run, once the weight starts to increase, so will the amount of warm up reps you'll be doing.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Ilikelamps wrote: »
    MY suggestion is push the 5x5 for 12 weeks... then take a 3 or 4 week break before hitting it again...

no...don't do this...Run the program until you feel like you need a deload (not progressing as well as the start or fatigue) then do a deload for one week THEN get right back into it. 3-4 weeks is going to set you behind..
    ^ this.
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 284 Member
    Ilikelamps wrote: »

What he said.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Follow the program, it's very simple and straightforward. Too many people try to overcomplicate or change an otherwise extremely basic program. This includes the procedure for deloads and even moving on to a more intermediate program at some point.

Buy Starting Strength for a good form guidelines for beginners. Use it. Video your lifts to confirm that you're doing it right.
  • ddrop
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm getting excited about starting :)

Another question: what would be a decent warmup for this type of program? I used to warm up by doing some core and stablizing excersizes but is that good enough for this program?
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Follow the program and get the app. It'll automatically add weights, deload when necessary, and will include warmup sets. Note a set of fractional weights is invaluable because +5lbs is not sustainable for some lifts like overhead press.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    For fractional weights I bought some ankle weights from Amazon. They were very cheap. They allowed me to add 2.5 pounds to the bar or even only 1.25 if I didn't mind a weight in the middle of my barbell.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    For warming up you really don't need to when the weight is light. Later you warm up by doing 2x5 with just the bar and then doing a 2-3 reps adding 20-40 lbs until you reach your working weight.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    This lost me at Squats. That made the list of things I'll never be able to do again.
    Dumbbell squats, seat/stand squats with dumbbells and machine squats I can do.
    Degenerative osteoarthritis in my left shoulder killed my range of motion. Unless someone comes up with a curved barbell, it is a no go. This also requires some adapting if I do a body pump class.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    ddrop wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm getting excited about starting :)

Another question: what would be a decent warmup for this type of program? I used to warm up by doing some core and stablizing excersizes but is that good enough for this program?

A good warm up will have your body temp up, the muscles ready but not pre-fatigued. Depending on the time of day, I’ll do some light cardio, and then a set or two of each exercise with next to no weight (relative to what I lift). You can swap out the light cardio I do for the core and stabilizing exercises, but be careful you don’t get too fatigued to give the workout your all.
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    This lost me at Squats. That made the list of things I'll never be able to do again.
    Degenerative osteoarthritis in my left shoulder killed my range of motion. Unless someone comes up with a curved barbell, it is a no go. This also requires some adapting if I do a body pump class.

Behold, the buffalo bar . . . http://www.ironmind-store.com/Buffalo-Bar153/productinfo/1270/
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Behold, the buffalo bar . . . http://www.ironmind-store.com/Buffalo-Bar153/productinfo/1270/
    Thanks. I checked it out.
    Not enough bend. I can't get my hands even back to my ears. Used to cost me points in form competition at Tang Soo Do tournaments until I retired.
    I'd need a bar with a horse shoe shaped loop around the neck.
    I'll stick with the adaptations I must use until someone comes up with a better solution.
    Cable set ups also provide for more use of stabilizing muscles.

• FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    How about a safety squat bar

safety-squat-bar-3.jpg?_ga=1.14056887.1076391360.1424784400